E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Retrofitting a Professional HU with USB and Bluetooth

02-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #177
MJ777LR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW328i

Thanks all for the help. I have some good news and some bad news.

Good news is, i got the HU recoded from Stereo to HiFi. Basically, I went into expertmode, selected 2URAD, and did an sg_codieren. When the HU rebooted, it showed HiFi in the hidden menu. Note I could do this without changing the production date. Mine said #0307.

The bad news is I lost my voice commands, bluetooth and USB. I tried a bunch of things to get it back, but it's not working. I changed my production date to #0311 and #0911 (only in CAS, not NFRM), then repeated sg_codieren and then did sg_reset after that on the 2URAD.

The HiFi remained but the bluetooth/USB is still not showing. I also have no voice commands. My VO has $676, $673, $6FL, and $6NN. What should I do next? This isn't permanent, is it?

Last edited by MJ777LR; 02-19-2013 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #178
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ777LR
Thanks all for the help. I have some good news and some bad news.

Good news is, i got the HU recoded from Stereo to HiFi. Basically, I went into expertmode, selected 2URAD, and did an sg_codieren. When the HU rebooted, it showed HiFi in the hidden menu. Note I could do this without changing the production date. Mine said #0307.

The bad news is I lost my voice commands, bluetooth and USB. I tried a bunch of things to get it back, but it's not working. I changed my production date to #0311 and #0911 (only in CAS, not NFRM), then repeated sg_codieren and then did sg_reset after that on the 2URAD.

The HiFi remained but the bluetooth/USB is still not showing. I also have no voice commands. My VO has $676, $673, $6FL, and $6NN. What should I do next? This isn't permanent, is it?
Don't worry, I got th same issue.

To get the USB back, I had to add the VO + newer build date.
To get the BT and Voice, I had to manually changing the MAN file.

Try first to recode with the newer build date.

So, if you want to compare your TRC file with mine, I can give it to you so will know what to code.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #179
MJ777LR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Hi woodpecka, thanks for all the help. I tried recoding using sg_codieren and then sg_reset using several production dates. The latest one i tried was #1112. There still is no USB icon. By the way, the hidden menu says the HU was manufactured Jan 2013. My VO already had the required $6FL, $6NN, etc.

One question for you though. For the HU that you have, does the Audio menu show any USB icon when you don't have a thumbdrive plugged in? I haven't got my USB fakra wire yet, so i can't connect anything to the HU. Thing is, before i recoded, it would say 'insert USB', but now it's only tuner, cd, and aux.

I would appreciate very much if I could have a look at your trc file. I will pm you my email address. What options need to be changed to enable the bt and voice?

Update: I went to the MAN file, there was an option called SECOND_USB. I changed it from nicht_aktiv to aktiv, and a 'USB2' icon showed up. Is this the same as the 'normal' USB that everyone else has?

Last edited by MJ777LR; 02-19-2013 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #180
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ777LR View Post
Hi woodpecka, thanks for all the help. I tried recoding using sg_codieren and then sg_reset using several production dates. The latest one i tried was #1112. There still is no USB icon. By the way, the hidden menu says the HU was manufactured Jan 2013. My VO already had the required $6FL, $6NN, etc.

One question for you though. For the HU that you have, does the Audio menu show any USB icon when you don't have a thumbdrive plugged in? I haven't got my USB fakra wire yet, so i can't connect anything to the HU. Thing is, before i recoded, it would say 'insert USB', but now it's only tuner, cd, and aux.

I would appreciate very much if I could have a look at your trc file. I will pm you my email address. What options need to be changed to enable the bt and voice?

Update: I went to the MAN file, there was an option called SECOND_USB. I changed it from nicht_aktiv to aktiv, and a 'USB2' icon showed up. Is this the same as the 'normal' USB that everyone else has?
No, it's not, but I'm curious what it IS.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #181
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
No, it's not, but I'm curious what it IS.
I also tried it. Is it not for a car with 2 USB connections?

There is my file.

Voice Control:
?

Voice Control language:
SPRACHE_SVS
us

USB: (I guess)
AUDIO_PLAYER_INBOX_ON_OFF
aktiv

Bluetooth:
BT_MODUL_INBOX_ON_OFF
aktiv
Attached Files
File Type: txt FSW_PSW_USB_BT_Voice.txt (3.1 KB, 420 views)

Last edited by woodpecka; 02-19-2013 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #182
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

With this HU I understand the Y cable is still required. Does the audio transfer occur over the usb side or the aux in for NON-drm protected songs?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #183
MJ777LR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Great news folks, I've successfully coded the HU! I just want to thank EVERYONE who gave advice and help, Jose, woodpecka, & all else (who've generously helped me out in my entire audio system upgrade, troubleshooting, etc, you know who you are!).

woodpecka, those values did the trick, I was able to enable USB and bluetooth, thanks! So in summary, I basically had to do an sg_codieren on the 2URAD to get the HU to run in HiFi mode, and then pull off the TRC file from the 2URAD, change those values as above to get bluetooth and USB to work, and then reupload the MAN file to the 2URAD. I did not have to add to my VO since my bluetooth and 6FL was from the factory, and the VO already had those values. About the voice commands, I'm not sure what exactly I did, but it seemed to work when I got back to the car.

Now I need to wait for the USB coaxial cable to arrive, so I can connect and test out my thumbdrives!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 03:59 AM   #184
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
With this HU I understand the Y cable is still required. Does the audio transfer occur over the usb side or the aux in for NON-drm protected songs?
If you use a y cable, all audio is analog over aux, period.

Though there's not really a good reason to care, no matter what anyone says they think they hear.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 07:14 AM   #185
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ777LR
Great news folks, I've successfully coded the HU! I just want to thank EVERYONE who gave advice and help, Jose, woodpecka, & all else (who've generously helped me out in my entire audio system upgrade, troubleshooting, etc, you know who you are!).

woodpecka, those values did the trick, I was able to enable USB and bluetooth, thanks! So in summary, I basically had to do an sg_codieren on the 2URAD to get the HU to run in HiFi mode, and then pull off the TRC file from the 2URAD, change those values as above to get bluetooth and USB to work, and then reupload the MAN file to the 2URAD. I did not have to add to my VO since my bluetooth and 6FL was from the factory, and the VO already had those values. About the voice commands, I'm not sure what exactly I did, but it seemed to work when I got back to the car.

Now I need to wait for the USB coaxial cable to arrive, so I can connect and test out my thumbdrives!
Great!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 05:33 AM   #186
tov.Saahov
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90

Dear friends! Please help me with the coding! Where and in which file you need to go?
You are using a line that INPA?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #187
djmsport
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d msport

hi - i have spent weeks of evenings reading through forums trying to understand what i have to do to enable my retrofitted bmw bluetooth kit. after two sets of cables and software i can make changes to the ecu's on my 2008 e90, i have now got TEL on my profressional radio (no idrive) but without the phone picture. I found a link on you tube showing rad2 ecu being updated - bluetooth_RAD2 active and ULF_ECE active. I have since added the temp speed when the cruise is actived using ncs 4.01
Do i need to add $644 and $633 to my VO or have i just achieved this another way ? i have tried following a pdf to alter vo but the "back" is missing and if i ignore the list is empty. I finally got the list up added $644 and $633 hit ok but when i hit back "error 1000" in german and i'm stuck again.
Ive run INPA and i can't see ULF listed so i need to get this seen.
can anyone help ?
has anyone fitted one of these bmw retrofit kits - MULF cables cradle, antana and mic with wiring?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 03:00 AM   #188
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Does anyone know if such headunits with built-in BT are available from anywhere?

The original seller from eBay disappeared, and his website (http://cars-equipment.com/) went offline. I tried writing emails, but got no response so far.

I don't seem to be able to find similar units from anywhere else.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #189
ripper0306
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Black & White Edition

Hello everybody,

I'm retrofitting USB and Bluetooth in my E82.
I installed the Pro Radio and the USB Cable (Micro not received yet)

I 'm trying to code options, but it doesn't work, BT and USB are still not activated (USB was already on the menu when I installed the radio, but doesn't work, no power from USB)

Here is what I tried :

NCSExpert (Expert Mode)

I added : $6NN (Bluetooth) / $6FL (USB) / $663 (Radio professional) / $854 (French)
I changed the date by #0911 instead of #0308 (is that correct ?)

Then, I writed these options in the CAS and NFRM module
And I resetted KOMBI and 2RAD module.

I waited 2x1h, then tried again to reset the 2RAD module, even with Tools 32...
And before this coding, my radio was Italian (in the hidden menu), now language is French...

The next day
I tried another thing :

I removed $6NN and $6FL from CAS and NFRM
- Then I resetted the 2RAD module with NCS and Tools32 (to be sure)
- And I disconnected the Battery

USB was still in the Radio (Bluetooth still not available/activated)
I waited for 1h, to let the car go in sleep mode
It shouldn't be, right ?

And just before I tried this,
I do a READ of the 2RAD Module, I did have an error with NCSExpert,
But in the WORK Folder, I got the trc file with all the 2RAD settings,
I read it, and I saw USB was on "aktiv"

Later this day, I tried to change settings in the 2RAD module
(after having added $6FL / $6NN in CAS and NFRM again) :

- I set 2RAD_USB / 2RAD_Bluetooth to "aktiv", and other values related to bluetooth/usb
I get an error when executing the job, but when READing it again, values changed
And same result... nothing happen

I don't know what to think.
Maybe I'm missing something.
For info : I had a business radio before

Here is what my Radio is showing :
(with French language, instead of Italian I had at first.)

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #190
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Try $644 instead of $6nn
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #191
ripper0306
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep

I'll try that

Do you think it can alter the other options like the USB ?
And do I have to add this to CAS/NFRM + RAD2 or just CAS and NFRM ?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #192
SoIntoYou
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i coupe

ok I have a e92 with production date of 2007-10-29 with logic 7 S677A with built-in blue booth? lol and aux input in the center arm rest. I just want to add a usb option into this arm rest location. Should I just order the usb cable and code it? if so what part number should I get?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #193
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoIntoYou View Post
ok I have a e92 with production date of 2007-10-29 with logic 7 S677A with built-in blue booth? lol and aux input in the center arm rest. I just want to add a usb option into this arm rest location. Should I just order the usb cable and code it? if so what part number should I get?
If you have bluetooth, I suspect that means you also have BMW Assist (with the SOS button)? If so, you need more than just the USB cable, you need the MULF, which is not inexpensive. You're better off getting one of the other third-party USB devices like a mobridge or something. Search around here for USB alternatives to a MULF.
      04-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #194
SoIntoYou
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you have bluetooth, I suspect that means you also have BMW Assist (with the SOS button)? If so, you need more than just the USB cable, you need the MULF, which is not inexpensive. You're better off getting one of the other third-party USB devices like a mobridge or something. Search around here for USB alternatives to a MULF.
Got it, so I just need to get this MULF and hookup the usb cable and do some coding and it is good to go? and do you know the part number? my last 7 vin is p156174
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #195
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoIntoYou View Post
Got it, so I just need to get this MULF and hookup the usb cable and do some coding and it is good to go?
Well, yes. But the MULF is like $500, plus the cable, plus the PITA of running the cable, plus coding. Like I said, getting a Mobridge (something like this) is probably cheaper and easier, and gets you a better USB interface than stock (you can use just your white USB cable instead of the stupid BMW Y cable) and gets you bluetooth A2DP streaming, all for less money than the MULF.
      04-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #196
SoIntoYou
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

thanks =) will do that instead
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 05:23 AM   #197
ripper0306
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep

Quote:
Try $644 instead of $6nn
I tried and... same result, still no BT in the radio, and USB still won't work

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #198
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper0306
Quote:
]
Try $644 instead of $6nn
I tried and... same result, still no BT in the radio, and USB still won't work

Can You read/write with NCS EXPERT?

I had the same problem and fixed it by changing the values manually. All the infos are in this topic.
Appreciate 0