E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Got My Airbag Recall Notice today

08-04-2016, 10:48 AM   #243
grizz311
Captain Rus
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Yeah I'm just wondering, you got a letter at home asking you to sit tight, so you do. What would light a fire under BMW's a** when they are back-logged with 1.9 mil. vehicles? So you sit patiently, check your smartphone which by now has a direct connection to your brain via USB 18.9, and you notice it's May 2020. Seriously, that letter did not verify that you still have the car or you're the owner? So I would think that one day, when there are lots of parts, they would get to the people they've sent letters to, and those people can head out to the dealer at their convenience.

I would not think the 600 miles would matter, because that has been willy nilly too, seems like some SAs told people it's ok, when they really have no authority to do so. But you can clearly drive to and from the dealership, and to and from storage, per the agreement. So your storage was 300 miles away because you don't have room at your house, shouldn't matter....keep us posted!

again you are in a high humidity area, so maybe your 2012 goes to priority 1 as a result...
Yup,
I will report back once I receive the car. Is there anything I can do to make sure they actually change the airbag? Is it both driver and passenger airbags? I could maybe mark the front of the bag with something if they replace the whole thing? ( I am not sure of the process )
      08-04-2016, 11:03 AM   #244
335xituned
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Also got a call from the dealer my airbag came in i do as well have a rental
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 11:41 AM   #245
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz311 View Post
Yup,
I will report back once I receive the car. Is there anything I can do to make sure they actually change the airbag? Is it both driver and passenger airbags? I could maybe mark the front of the bag with something if they replace the whole thing? ( I am not sure of the process )
Rest assured, you will receive a replacement airbag. I don't think your local dealer will BS you and not actually change it out (maybe in some 3rd world country where corruption is everywhere). I'm sure they have the proper protocols in place (i.e. defective part disposal, ID check, etc, etc..), as mandated by BMWNA and the NHTSB, to ensure that. If the installer tech doesn't do it right, he would be fired and the dealer would be liable for fraud and face heavy fines and penalties should you be in an accident with the non-replaced defective airbag deployed.

The replacement could include the passenger side as well.
I had the driver side airbag replaced on my 2005 Stang GT in June and just last week I got a new letter that the passenger side also needs to be replaced. Will see when the replacement comes in for that.

As for my 2010 335i, I'm still waiting, but it's not keeping from driving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xituned View Post
Also got a call from the dealer my airbag came in i do as well have a rental
Lucky you. I'm surprised you got the call being that you're all they up north in CT.
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster

Last edited by jt335i; 08-04-2016 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #246
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt335i View Post
Rest assured, you will receive a replacement airbag. I don't think your local dealer will BS you and not actually change it out. I'm sure they have the proper protocols in place (i.e. defective part disposal, ID check, etc, etc..), as mandated by BMWNA and the NHTSB, to ensure that. If the installer tech doesn't do it right, he would be fired and the dealer would be liable for fraud and face heavy fines and penalties should you be in an accident with the non-replaced defective airbag deployed.

The replacement could include the passenger side as well.
I had the driver side airbag replaced on my 2005 Stang GT in June and just last week I got a new letter that the passenger side also needs to be replaced. Will see when the replacement comes in for that.

As for my 2010 335i, I'm still waiting, but it's not keeping from driving it.

Lucky you. I'm surprised you got the call being that you're all they up north in CT.
These days, if there is a common sense way to verify, why not do it....when I had the HPFP recall done, since they physically only had the car 2 hours, I was thinking man they have gotten good at this, or they didn't do the work. I could not find any evidence that any work was performed, after poking around under the hood. Then, woohoo! A broken clip on the wiring loom! So they did it!

Also, the car has never, ever stalled, since, so it probably was done based on this fact and the above.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 12:26 PM   #247
jt335i
Major
Rep

Quote:
These days, if there is a common sense way to verify, why not do it....when I had the HPFP recall done, since they physically only had the car 2 hours, I was thinking man they have gotten good at this, or they didn't do the work. I could not find any evidence that any work was performed, after poking around under the hood. Then, woohoo! A broken clip on the wiring loom! So they did it!

Also, the car has never, ever stalled, since, so it probably was done based on this fact and the above.

I hear you bro!
However, there is a difference between the air bag and the HPFP recall.
The HPFP replacement only affected BMWs of specific models and years and there were no reports of injuries or fatalities. If there were issues with the replacement, it was covered by the warranty which some owners have had done more than once. Glad yours never failed.
Same for me as well, the OEM pump had never failed and nor has the replacement.

As for the airbag recall, it is a potential life threatening hazard (on a global scale) which affects several car makers, including BMW so I don’t think BMW and any of the affected car makers would take a chance in defrauding their customers of not replacing a defective airbag when they say they did. They could face stiff fines, lawsuits, and even bad publicity if that would ever happen to someone so I’m sure their lawyers already had that in mind and therefore made sure the proper guidelines and procedures are followed when the replacement is done.

Last edited by jt335i; 08-04-2016 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 01:44 PM   #248
FamilyManTrackSedan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 pre-lci 335xi 6mt sedan

I called a svc dept and was told "they make the airbag specifically for your VIN". ?? Could that be true?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 02:00 PM   #249
critical05
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi 6 spd

For Iowa.

Called last week with concerns about trading my vehicle in and the airbag being an issue. Was told they won't be available in Iowa until Sept, I told them that is quite some time away and that wouldn't work for me.

They told me they would see what they could do and get back to me in a few days. Been a week and no word from BMW, no bother to me now as its been traded off.

Last edited by critical05; 02-15-2017 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 04:43 PM   #250
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is (#5 of 586)

Received the "Final Remedy Available" notice in the mail last Thursday. I called the dealer, to which they confirmed. They offered to book my appointment for airbag replacement as the "earliest available", which is in a couple of weeks.

I only called the dealer once (8 months ago) to inquire if parts were available, to which there were none. I never asked for a rental, and drove my E90 like every day was just another day. Besides...they have very little on the roster that I want anymore, and 99% of the time none of those are on the lot.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #251
.blackgt.
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyManTrackSedan View Post
I called a svc dept and was told "they make the airbag specifically for your VIN". ?? Could that be true?

No this is not true.

I was put in a rental for October and November. At the end of November, my dealership called and said I had to turn my rental in immediately since the part was now available.

Unfortunately, I was out of state for that week which made it impossible to get my car fixed. I came back to the state of Massachusetts for 2 days (returned the X5 rental) and then went over to the west coast on a flight. I then returned to Massachusetts a week later and had to go out to sea.

I just got back from being out at sea and called the dealership. As expected, they used the part that they had in stock on someone elses car. The reason the part came available in the first place, as explained to me by the service manager, was that a man who had a similar car ended up moving to the west coast so they had an extra.

I am now back in an x5 rental through enterprise until the part becomes available.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 01:36 PM   #252
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

I just had my car in for inspection and ask for the air bag to be replace for my 07 335I and they said they are still on back order. From the sounds of it some cars seem to have a higher priority than others. My car is now moved up the priority list but there are cars on the list and they showed me which are much further down the priority list. Based on that I know about the issue, this make sense, some designs were more susceptible to the issue than others. They did a massive recall since the manufacture could not say for sure other design would also fail the same way.

They telling me I am still a few months away from getting a call to have it replace. Grant it those who complain get moved up the list or a loner car.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 01:44 PM   #253
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .blackgt. View Post
No this is not true.

I was put in a rental for October and November. At the end of November, my dealership called and said I had to turn my rental in immediately since the part was now available.

Unfortunately, I was out of state for that week which made it impossible to get my car fixed. I came back to the state of Massachusetts for 2 days (returned the X5 rental) and then went over to the west coast on a flight. I then returned to Massachusetts a week later and had to go out to sea.

I just got back from being out at sea and called the dealership. As expected, they used the part that they had in stock on someone elses car. The reason the part came available in the first place, as explained to me by the service manager, was that a man who had a similar car ended up moving to the west coast so they had an extra.

I am now back in an x5 rental through enterprise until the part becomes available.
amazing that this is still going on. And my buddy has an Audi loaner and they've driven like 50k miles on loaners--that to me is worth 10k personaly easily....I mean BMW paid over 9k for my rental, but it wasn't worth 9k to me, I only went 4500 miles or so. Kinda killed me when my wife said the 328i is too small so we used her SUV all the time on family affairs...

Anyway maybe what was meant was when the dealer gets an airbag, it is for a particular VIN, not that it would not work in another car, rather the paper trail says it's for whom. That was my understanding.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 01:47 PM   #254
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
I just had my car in for inspection and ask for the air bag to be replace for my 07 335I and they said they are still on back order. From the sounds of it some cars seem to have a higher priority than others. My car is now moved up the priority list but there are cars on the list and they showed me which are much further down the priority list. Based on that I know about the issue, this make sense, some designs were more susceptible to the issue than others. They did a massive recall since the manufacture could not say for sure other design would also fail the same way.

They telling me I am still a few months away from getting a call to have it replace. Grant it those who complain get moved up the list or a loner car.
How can this possibly even be....don't tell me your dealer is Mt L*****l they are the worst (I've probably used every dealership from Phila to NYC and in between at least once)

Get a loaner car, if you're months away.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 09:59 PM   #255
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
I've mentioned in another thread that BMWNA won't offer me a loaner/rental and two local dealers haven't provided loaners/rentals either. Given my location, I feel that this should have been replaced already. As someone else just mentioned, I'll continue to drive my car like normal -,-
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 01:35 PM   #256
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
How can this possibly even be....don't tell me your dealer is Mt L*****l they are the worst (I've probably used every dealership from Phila to NYC and in between at least once)

Get a loaner car, if you're months away.
In this case I did not make a big stink about it, that is my fault. I live Bucks County so you can get an idea who I am dealing with. I know if I made a huge stink about it they would do a loaner. I have not been using the car all that much so that is why I have not said anything.

The SA did show me the list of cars and their wait time and it seem like new car were higher priority and certain model and it did not appear more expensive put the car higher in the list. there was some 1 series at the top and 7 series at the bottom.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 02:48 PM   #257
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
In this case I did not make a big stink about it, that is my fault. I live Bucks County so you can get an idea who I am dealing with. I know if I made a huge stink about it they would do a loaner. I have not been using the car all that much so that is why I have not said anything.

The SA did show me the list of cars and their wait time and it seem like new car were higher priority and certain model and it did not appear more expensive put the car higher in the list. there was some 1 series at the top and 7 series at the bottom.
Bucks Co., not T******* BMW hahahahahahahaha I think they stuck a rfid tag on my car and I found it like 6 mos. later....only been there once, can't say anything bad, they charged me like $110 for my first out of maint. brake flush, which was fair...man.....
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 05:33 PM   #258
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Called BMWNA 2/17 about getting mine taken care of and the rep put me in for one. Dealership called me on the 23rd saying it was in and had it done March 1st.
      03-02-2017, 10:29 PM   #259
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

Still waiting.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 07:41 AM   #260
ArcticRik
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Arctic Metallic E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
Called BMWNA 2/17 about getting mine taken care of and the rep put me in for one. Dealership called me on the 23rd saying it was in and had it done March 1st.
Where in FL are you located?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 09:30 AM   #261
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRik View Post
Where in FL are you located?
St Pete
      03-03-2017, 11:45 AM   #262
jt335i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
To get it that quickly, that's very unusual unless they sent the "Interim remedy". Are you sure they didn’t send that replacement?

I live in Tampa and called Reeves BMW back on January 25 to check the recall update for my 2010 which I am in the HAH (High Absolute Humidity) Priority Group 1. The customer service agent checked my VIN said there still is no replacement units available, but she said she can contact BMW NA and have them send a ‘interim remedy’ which is only temporary until whenever the actual replacement or "Final remedy" is available. I said to the agent, I’ll just pass on that.
From what I found out, the "interim remedy" is part of Priorty Group 4 as per the following:

Some Initial Vehicle Manufacturers are replacing recalled inflators with newly manufactured "like-for-like" inflators while they work towards an alternative, final remedy. Vehicles in Priority Group 4 include those vehicles with driver side frontal air bag inflators that have received, or will receive, an "interim remedy," meaning they have been, or will be, remedied with a Takata inflator that has been recalled, and will require a second remedy once the final remedy is available.

Once repaired with the interim remedy, these vehicles are at the lowest risk of an inflator rupture because the inflator is new and has not yet been subject to long-term continuous exposure to HAH conditions. Unless specifically added at a later date to a higher Priority Group for re-remedy by their vehicle manufacturer, all remaining vehicles requiring a second, final, remedy of the inflator(s) are included in Priority Group 4.

So in layman’s terms, the "interim remedy" is a replacement that comes from a supply of never used defective airbags which they swap out with the notion that, if they have been stored in a cool warehouse, they are better than the current defective ones which have been in a humid car for several number of years.

I would double check with your dealer because they may not have told you that they use the "Interim remedy". Also, check your VIN# again just to be sure that it's off the recall list or if it's still on the list with a special note that it has the "Interim remedy" or something similar. But if you did get the actual replacement, good for you.
Your St. Pete dealer must have some kind of inside connection at BMWNA.

Last edited by jt335i; 03-03-2017 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 12:22 PM   #263
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
To get it that quickly, that's very unusual unless they sent the "Interim remedy". Are you sure they didn’t send that replacement?

I live in Tampa and called Reeves BMW back on January 25 to check the recall update for my 2010 which I am in the HAH (High Absolute Humidity) Priority Group 1. The customer service agent checked my VIN said there still is no replacement units available, but she said she can contact BMW NA and have them send a ‘interim remedy’ which is only temporary until whenever the actual replacement or "Final remedy" is available. I said to the agent, I’ll just pass on that.
From what I found out, the "interim remedy" is part of Priorty Group 4 as per the following:

Some Initial Vehicle Manufacturers are replacing recalled inflators with newly manufactured "like-for-like" inflators while they work towards an alternative, final remedy. Vehicles in Priority Group 4 include those vehicles with driver side frontal air bag inflators that have received, or will receive, an "interim remedy," meaning they have been, or will be, remedied with a Takata inflator that has been recalled, and will require a second remedy once the final remedy is available.

Once repaired with the interim remedy, these vehicles are at the lowest risk of an inflator rupture because the inflator is new and has not yet been subject to long-term continuous exposure to HAH conditions. Unless specifically added at a later date to a higher Priority Group for re-remedy by their vehicle manufacturer, all remaining vehicles requiring a second, final, remedy of the inflator(s) are included in Priority Group 4.

So in layman’s terms, the "interim remedy" is a replacement that comes from a supply of never used defective airbags which they swap out with the notion that, if they have been stored in a cool warehouse, they are better than the current defective ones which have been in a humid car for several number of years.

I would double check with your dealer because they may not have told you that they use the "Interim remedy". Also, check your VIN# again just to be sure that it's off the recall list or if it's still on the list with a special note that it has the "Interim remedy" or something similar. But if you did get the actual replacement, good for you.
Your St. Pete dealer must have some kind of inside connection at BMWNA.
I was going to buy out my lease last April but the recall prevented that so they gave me a years extension. Now that the extension is getting close to ending they must be putting a priority towards those cars to make them eligible to sell, just like all the trade-ins and lease turn-ins affected by the recall. They're not letting them sit on the lot waiting. My recall status hasn't changed yet but it's only been a day. I'll give it a week before making another call.

Last edited by LMB335IS; 03-03-2017 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 12:58 PM   #264
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

I live in Tampa and called Reeves BMW back on January 25 to check the recall update for my 2010 which I am in the HAH (High Absolute Humidity) Priority Group 1. ....
They fixed my car last August under the GTFRCBICU2MM program (get the f***** rental car back it's costing us too much mo nay)

It's pretty underhanded. You genuinely live in a high humidity area, BMW filed with NHTSA that you would be first, they didn't do that, and have gotten away with it scot free. Nothing new, I suppose, but to me, that's not what BMW would have done 10 years or 20 years ago. Their reputation was worth so much more.
Appreciate 0