Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Front Tires - Outside block cupping

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-27-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
JVFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Very Well

Front Tires - Outside block cupping

I've found a few posts but just wondering if there has been a conclusive post on this.

15000 miles on 18" RFT Bridgestone and I'm getting toe/heel stepping of every other block which is starting to cause unbalanced type sound...

UGH

BTW...both tires and just starting to notice it on the passenger tire inside block too. When I rub my hand down the tire you can feel the wave.

Thoughts?
      09-28-2009, 01:17 AM   #2
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Have you had your alignment checked? I am wondering if you have a toe in problem. Also you may want to check your tire pressure just to be safe. Once the tire starts to develop these issues they will continue, there is no way to really salvage the tires at this point. I would check tire pressure, have the alignment checked and start looking for new tires.

BTW, I met JV his rookie year at Laguna Seca, I had pit passes and he was standing around so I started chatting with him. It was pretty cool to see his career take off although I wish he wouldn't have gone to BAR. I bet he would have won several championships had he not made that move.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 09:47 AM   #3
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

There is a TSB on the tires. IF you complain to BMW, they will give you ~ 50% off more RFT with your mileage. Just make sure your tire pressure is at recommended levels when you take them in.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
JVFan
Lieutenant
Rep

It makes good sense. I did call my local reputable tire shop. He thinks it may be alignment so I'll have it checked. The problem is when I read the posts, I get:

1. Car is meant to be driven faster which would change the wear pattern.
2. Not rotating (bc of stagger)
3. Bad Bridgestones
4. Under inflation

It is only slight but I am so intuned with the car I can feel it and hear it at slower speed. I have winters that will go on in 4 - 6 weeks so it isn't an issue. I have decided that I will go with regualr tires next time with a tire kit and a compressor.

ugh

Yes...JV is still a hero. I felt really sad he has dropped to the truck racing thing. I do know that he is trying to get back into F1 as he thinks the new regulations are better suited to his style. That is really cool you met him. I was in Montreal for hte Gp in 1998 and 2004. What a spectacle!
      09-28-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
JVFan
Lieutenant
Rep

The TSB that I find is only for 16 and 17 inch Turanzas.

WTH?

Mine are 18" RE050...
      09-28-2009, 10:21 AM   #6
MuchMoore
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

I have the same issue actually...and I've been wondering about it. I tried checking the pressures and they weren't off and the car was aligned less than 6 months ago.
      09-28-2009, 10:24 AM   #7
JVFan
Lieutenant
Rep

I have calls into Edmonton and Saskatoon BMW dealers to see if I get a consistent message. I'm also paying for an alignment anyway as the car is 4 years old and our roads are sh*t. Either way, I'll keep everyone posted.

If there is a 50% reimb. for new runfalts...that is then the same price out of pocket for regular tires. Dumb