E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Rotors - Stoptech replacement slotted rotors any good?

01-07-2011, 11:16 PM   #23
Cygnusx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Sedan

Garage List
1976 280Z  [10.00]
1972 Datsun 240Z  [10.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Absolutely, but equivalent car, mine, has been subjected to the same extreme conditions with STOCK rotors and they are NOTHING like that! WRX's are built to abuse...and they rust underneath. Oh, and the "extreme conditions" are called daily driving in the NorthEast with no garage. Nothing more. Any stock rotor will survive those conditions with flying colors. In defense of stoptech, they do recommend removing the rotors during Winter driving. Huh?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #24
Anthony@BimmerBrakes
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocklanders View Post
i know rotors are going to rust but arent most coated or something to stop corrosion on the surface that the pad doesnt touch. i just cant remember ever having rotors look like this. i would like to see close ups of others rear rotors i know brakes are different but i think 325 and 328 have the same rears.
On the 325 and 328 BMW used a Generic Rotor. As the Pads doesn't fully cover the Rotor Surface as you see. Leaving behind a BIG Inner Ring of Surface Rust. Only way to fix this is getting it Painted or Coated. This is why Rotor Replacement for the e9x 325/328 is so much cheaper then 330 and 335.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnusx1 View Post
Absolutely, but equivalent car, mine, has been subjected to the same extreme conditions with STOCK rotors and they are NOTHING like that! WRX's are built to abuse...and they rust underneath. Oh, and the "extreme conditions" are called daily driving in the NorthEast with no garage. Nothing more. Any stock rotor will survive those conditions with flying colors. In defense of stoptech, they do recommend removing the rotors during Winter driving. Huh?
Stoptech BBK are not made to hand crazy weather condition your friend put it through. It has no Rust Protection Coating on it. If you decided to get another Aero-Ring Please send it to a Coater that can prevent that from happen again.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #25
tntsE90
Private
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnusx1 View Post
Agreed. Virtually all stock rotors will pass with flying colors, even in "extreme" snow condition areas. You'll probably see A LITTLE rust around the areas where the pads do not make contact but no where as bad as the Centric/Stoptech made stuff which rust all around.

I just had a pair of front calipers put on my other car due to the old ones sticking and the POS shop opted for the cheap Centric made stuff. It's been less then a month and only a couple of days of rain and the "new calipers" have completely turned brown and rusted .... Centric made CRAP.

When I asked him what brand he put on, the shop owner told me Centric because he gets them at a whole sale price lower than other brands ..... MADE IN CHINA FTW.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 08:40 AM   #26
rock8899
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Silver, Prem

good average rotor

i have about 80k miles on my e90 325 and at the stop rotor will be going soon.

i like other would like to find something that is decent in price and will give me more than 2yrs like my OEM brakes

what is a decent rotor as the stoptech appear to be out
thanks in advance

if i purchase a OEM rotor from the dealer is it the same rotor as what is on my vehicle currently?

Last edited by rock8899; 04-13-2011 at 08:46 AM..
Appreciate 0