E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Any1 use Fuel conditioner?

11-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
MakkkD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335xi

Question Any1 use Fuel conditioner?

Wondering if any1 on here actually uses this stuff, it's supposed to be a safegaurd against all of the harmful products that the ethanol added gasolines contains that we put into our cars nowadays. I was thinking it probably wouldn't hurt to buy a bottle every now and then...lucas makes some good products and they have one for this kind of use, check it out and lemme know what you guys think http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ntifier=977411
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
won't hurt to put in. has little effect. won't clean injectors cause we have direct injection.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakkkD View Post
Wondering if any1 on here actually uses this stuff...
Do you have any specific engine problem you are aware of, which you want to alleviate by using this conditioner? If not, i.e. if your car is working fine, then don't put any "magic" conditioners in your fuel. You don't need this stuff.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
MakkkD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
Do you have any specific engine problem you are aware of, which you want to alleviate by using this conditioner? If not, i.e. if your car is working fine, then don't put any "magic" conditioners in your fuel. You don't need this stuff.
I totally agree with you it's just my old man is annoying me b/c he likes to always be right about things and suggest shit that if I don't do I'm an idiot
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
TotalPower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Vert AW

LUCAS OIL is crap. if you're interested i'll post videos of how and why it's crap
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalPower View Post
LUCAS OIL is crap. if you're interested i'll post videos of how and why it's crap
If that is the same Lucas who did the electrical systems on British cars back in the day, there was a reason he was called the "Prince of Darkness".

And how is this conditioner superior to tried & true Sta-bil for extended fuel storage?

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
TotalPower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Vert AW

depends on why you need a fuel conditioner/additive.

Stabil is not a fuel system cleaner,
Lucas oil "to solve ethanol problems" is meant to disperse water (which ethanol attracts)...unfortunately it can not.

Stabil might work for extended storage....not sure, i'll go buy some see if it helps guard against polymerization, volatility, etc...

TO THE BAT CAVE!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
HT1000
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

If your engine has some need for a fuel conditioner use Techron which is approved by BMW and other car makers. Much of the fuel additives in the market place are snake oil.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #9
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalPower View Post
Stabil might work for extended storage....not sure, i'll go buy some see if it helps guard against polymerization, volatility, etc...

TO THE BAT CAVE!
Give it a try. It's kept even E10 fuel fresh for well over a year in infrequently used yard equipment as well as my BMW opposed twin motorcycle.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 05:40 PM   #10
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT1000 View Post
If your engine has some need for a fuel conditioner use Techron which is approved by BMW and other car makers. Much of the fuel additives in the market place are snake oil.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #11
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

I'm a fan of Techron fuel system cleaner (not the injector cleaner).

Red-Line makes a good fuel system cleaner as well, but I've found that I like Chevron's treatment better.

Some will disagree, but I like to run system cleaners 1-2 tanks before changing the oil.

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #12
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
I'm a fan of Techron fuel system cleaner (not the injector cleaner).

Red-Line makes a good fuel system cleaner as well, but I've found that I like Chevron's treatment better.

Some will disagree, but I like to run system cleaners 1-2 tanks before changing the oil.
You can use chevron techron up to 5 times before
you have to change the oil. I posted an email from Chevron awhile
back. Can't look for it now because I am on my iPhone.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #13
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
You can use chevron techron up to 5 times before
you have to change the oil. I posted an email from Chevron awhile
back. Can't look for it now because I am on my iPhone.
I've read similar emails/reports from Chevron. While they do give 5x as their max limit, they also state it is good practice to go ahead and change the oil after a system treatment.

My worst oil analysis report came after running a bottle of fuel system cleaner and not changing the oil. For me, I'd rather just time it just prior to an oil change. I have not had a bad report since.

Quote:
Based on decades of testing…We are recommending the use of Techron every >3000 miles along with a maximum treatments of 5 per oil change (with the does rate of 1 oz per gallon). If this procedure is followed no oil change is required as long as the OEM oil drain interval and quality of oil is being followed. That said, it is good practice to use Techron Concentrate before an oil change; that way any carbon deposits that were removed and made it to the engine oil will in fact be removed from the engine at the oil change.

Chris Jackson
Regional Business Mgr, Fuel Additives
Global Lubricants, Chevron Products Company

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #14
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yikes, I have been using a system cleaner at least 3x before an oil change. I might have to rethink that.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #15
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

By the way here is what Chevron told me,
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492475
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #16
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
By the way here is what Chevron told me,
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492475
Thanks!

I think changing after treatment is all relative. If you do more highway miles where you can heat the oil up for long periods, I don't think changing the oil after treatment is as important. Highway miles are known to the best and easiest miles for an engine.

I would think that for cars that see mostly short trips or city traffic etc. where the car idles quite a bit (causing fuel saturation), it is probably better to change after treatment. The thought being that since the oil is challenged by the harsh usage to begin with, mixing in deposits from the cleaner isn't going to help matters.

In my case, I'm a mix Highway/City so I err on the safe side. Not to mention my previous bad oil report.

Appreciate 0