E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Public Service Announcement for People traveling into PA (Speed Traps)

06-22-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Public Service Announcement for People traveling into PA (Speed Traps)

The fine State of PA is conducting a coordinated effort to catch all you speeders.

They have set up days which all local and state police plan to have speed traps set up.

Here is the information, at least PA post it on a public site to warn they are coming after all of us. You might want to pass this information along to everyone you know, no sense helping them generate more revenue.

http://www.state.pa.us/papower/cwp/v...?Q=461009&A=11

Also, the State of PA has passed two of three laws which will allow the local police use radar and laser to catch speeders. As soon as early next year you can expect to see local cops with radar and LIDAR equipment.

Last edited by Maestro; 06-25-2007 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 02:21 PM   #2
mesier1111
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe, titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
The fine State of PA is conducting a coordinated effort to catch you all speeding.

They have set up days which all local and state police plan to have speed traps set up.

Here is the information, at least PA post it on a public site to warn they are coming after all of us. You might want to pass this information along to everyone you know, no sense helping them generate more revenue.

http://www.state.pa.us/papower/cwp/v...?Q=461009&A=11

Also, the State of PA has passed two of three laws which will allow the local police use radar and laser to catch speeders. As soon as early next year you can expect to see local cops with radar and LIDAR equipment.
Hey...haven't seen one of your posts in a while....how is everything? Actually, I don't believe the law has made it through both houses. Laws like this have come very close every year and get voted down every year because of the fact that the lawmakers are drivers too
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
continentalg5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Wait a second, have they not been using radar or laser at all in PA beore this? What was their main means of writing speeding tickets, pacing?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 08:28 AM   #4
Maestro
Major
Rep

From what I have read, two of the laws pertaining to Radar use by local authorities has pass both house and senate. There is a third law which is still waiting to be voted on. I am not sure of the particulars of each law and what exactly they change or inable, but all three are needed, but the first two open the door.

Yes, PA has always used Radar, but only by the state police on state controlled highways.

Personally I do not mind this others seem to be really upset, but I have a radar detector and it makes me aware of the police present and allows me to slow down long before I get near them.

My only concern with this new law is it allows laser as well as radar for locals, and they will most likely get the latest technology verses the 70's technology the State Police use. The newest technology puts out a very small signal so it gives detectors a very small signal to respond too, ie time for your to react.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 09:18 AM   #5
continentalg5
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
From what I have read, two of the laws pertaining to Radar use by local authorities has pass both house and senate. There is a third law which is still waiting to be voted on. I am not sure of the particulars of each law and what exactly they change or inable, but all three are needed, but the first two open the door.

Yes, PA has always used Radar, but only by the state police on state controlled highways.

Personally I do not mind this others seem to be really upset, but I have a radar detector and it makes me aware of the police present and allows me to slow down long before I get near them.

My only concern with this new law is it allows laser as well as radar for locals, and they will most likely get the latest technology verses the 70's technology the State Police use. The newest technology puts out a very small signal so it gives detectors a very small signal to respond too, ie time for your to react.
If I lived in PA I would seriously consider this little nugget: http://www.laser-interceptor.com/ It's a laser jammer but it's not out yet (soon hopefully), when it does though it's supposed to be awesome.

The guys of lidar tested it against their guns against it (prototype form) and it had an average of 96% effectiveness. Here is the article in case you were interested: http://www.guysoflidar.com/march-200...mmer-test.html

In NJ they are legal but you'll have to check if it's legal in your state.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 10:21 AM   #6
Maestro
Major
Rep

I would imagine as part of the new laws they would outlaw devices like this. What most people do not realize is that all Radar Jammer are illegal by the Fact of the FCC. There are laws that say you can not broadcast a particular radio fequence without a proper license. The problem is that local authorities can not enforce FCC rules and laws, if the police caught you with a Jammer they would have to file a complaint with the FCC and you would be fined $10,000. As you can figure the police do not want to be bothered since they do not get a cut of the $10,000.

This is also why the Fed change the law with trucking and state it is illegal to have Jammer of any sort in a truck, makes it easier to locals to enforce and collect revenue.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 11:25 AM   #7
Maestro
Major
Rep

Here is one of the laws that was just voted and passed

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/...r=0296&pn=0824
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 02:31 PM   #8
continentalg5
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would imagine as part of the new laws they would outlaw devices like this. What most people do not realize is that all Radar Jammer are illegal by the Fact of the FCC. There are laws that say you can not broadcast a particular radio fequence without a proper license. The problem is that local authorities can not enforce FCC rules and laws, if the police caught you with a Jammer they would have to file a complaint with the FCC and you would be fined $10,000. As you can figure the police do not want to be bothered since they do not get a cut of the $10,000.

This is also why the Fed change the law with trucking and state it is illegal to have Jammer of any sort in a truck, makes it easier to locals to enforce and collect revenue.
You are half correct. This is quoted directly from radarbusters.com "Laser Jammers and Radar Jammers are illegal in the states of Nebraska, Minnesota, Utah, California, Oklahoma, Virginia, Colorado, Illinois and Washington DC."

From my knowledge radar jammers are illegal in all states but laser jammers are legal in most.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 12:11 AM   #9
nissan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

IIRC Laser is regulated by the FDA for some reason, as opposed to the FCC. I read this a year ago or so, so who knows if that's still true for the laser jammers.
Appreciate 0