E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Range Rover Sport update....and what's next?

11-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Range Rover Sport update....and what's next?

Unless my memory is on it's way out, I don't think I've ever got round to giving an update on my (well, the missus's really.....but it's mine ) RRS. In fact, I don't think I've said much on it at all so after giving it a good going over yesterday, I thought I'd take a few pics, discuss it's positives and negatives and see where it leads me.....

Firstly, for the record, this car is probably one of the most impressive feats of engineering for the way it can handle some really crazy stuff (such as this) which I have not experienced personally and yet drive so bloody well on the road.

Make your own judgement on the looks of the car but it's OK and I reckon my facelift example looks much better than the early versions. Funny that, as the changes are only details.....lights, grills, wheels etc....yet such simple changes made it look so much nicer. It certainly attracts attention, probably as much to do with the colour but, rather like when I had my Porsche, it's often the type of attention where people immediately think you're a c*nt. It's about the right car for me then

Also subject to personal opinion is how it looks in it's various height modes - some people like them slammed such as when it's in 'access height' but I'm not a fan. Unfortunately, I didn't take one picture of it on it's normal height setting so the pics below show it at it's two extremes (although reading the handbook, it apparently has an emergency extra high setting when it detects it has grounded out and even then, it has ANOTHER height ABOVE this if it deems needs it. I wonder how high this car goes....it's already like driving a first floor apartment (in more ways than one...it also has double glazing and deep pile carpets!).

Inside, the seats are great and the driving position is almost car-like (I drove to Paris in it in one hit on a Friday night after work and didn't feel a thing, except tired, at the end of it) and the leather they use is of the smooth Nappa variety - they all seem to have contrast stitching and whilst I'd have preferred a tan/cream leather interior, the black with white stitching looks classy. The Sport has a really high centre console so do feel cocooned in it rather than feeling like you're sat high up (which inevitably, you are)....it creates a great illusion in that respect and you can see it in some of the below interior shots.

What isn't so good is the touch screen telematics system which is poorly integrated into the car (i.e. it does very little outside nav and audio although it does have a neat 4x4 display showing whats happening underneath), has a really, REALLY dated display (although 3D graphics is a step up on my XKR...it's an area JLR are eel behind the curve on) and, well, it's all just...CRAP. The standard Harman Kardon stereo is good (they do an upgraded one which mine doesn't have) if not up to the standard of my Bowers and Wilkins in the Jaaaaaaaaag. The final dislike on the interior is that it's a bit, erm......creaky. Now, this would normally be a big NO-NO for me (cars have been disposed of for less ) but, rather oddly, it doesn't really creak or rattle when driving. But, if you prod and pull on the various dash plastics (as someone with OCD would do!) the volume and type of creaking you can induce sounds like it should be a big creak fest when on the move! I'm just thankful it isn't

So, what's it like on the road?

Surreal is the only word I can say. How else do you explain that when I got my XKR-S, I actually thought it produced a smidge more body roll than the RRS! When you're sat that high up, you expect to pitch into a corner and brace yourself for the body roll, but it just doesn't happen. It has some crazy suspension design which uses hydraulic rams to keep the body level and by God does it work - it just does not roll.

Sure, the weight of the car pushes it on in corners but it feels so stable and secure at 7/10th's. At 10/10th's....well, it just isn't designed for that is it?!?! Most amusing is a how it performs on a bumpy back road - not only do you have excellent visibility from driving a skyscraper, but it rides so well at speed and controls it's body movements so well, you can really piss off some hot hatches as they buck and weave everywhere. Power to weight ratio aside, you guys in run-flat shod BMW's ain't got a chance

Interestingly, I read somewhere that the suspension design is very similar, and possibly even licensed from, the suspension design in the rare mid-90's Citroen Xantia Activa....another car with apparently zero roll. However, that car had hydraulic suspension, the RRS is air suspension and this can create some unique characteristics....at low speeds, it can feel rather truck-like as it take on a pogoing motion. Speed bumps though....I at these as people who install them clearly haven't considered the Range Rover which basically flattens them! Another unique characteristic is the release of air pressure which is just like you'd hear from a truck or bus!

Heres one of the big air reservoirs that exist instead of normal springs.....

Performance isn't too bad as it has 450'ish of torques so once rolling, I never feel like it needs much more (OK, that's a lie). Off the mark it can feel a bit lethergic and the ZF 6-speeder is way behind the 8-speed boxes they fit in the latest JLR products (my XKR-S not being one of them ).

This car is a feat of engineering....but not because of it's inherent design as the weight of it highlights that LR could have done so much better in this respect (and the new RR indicates what they really can do). No, it's how they've engineered the rest of the car around the problem of weight and how it deals with it so, if the new RR drives like this AND weighs 20% less, its should be be amazing.

Problems?

Not many by my standards (maybe I'm becoming more tolerant?) but I've had to have the ARB bushes replaced already as they started to clonk - it's a known RRS problem as they have to put up with such extreme forces as they hold this near-as-dammit 3-tonne car resolutely flat in bends. Did I say....it doesn't roll

Otherwise, I'm on my 3rd set of wipers in 4 months as they jump all over the screen after they're a few days old....apparently I need a new and correctly 'adjusted' wiper arm which is being done under warranty. As is the rocking drivers chair and driveline shunt from the transmission....all known characteristics that LR have fixes for.

The last probelm unfortunately can't be fixed and leads me neatly onto my next subject. Economy.....yes, I can hear the s******s of 'what else did he expect'. Well, I expect something close to the claimed 32mpg combined figure on a motorway cruise but, no....I average 25-27mpg which actually makes it more expensive to fuel than my V8 petrol XKR (once you take into account the variance in fuel cost).

And that isn't great when the purpose of it was to be my commuting car and I'm currently in a quandary on what to do.....I really like the RRS, I can afford to run it but it just grates everytime I put £120 of fuel in it and get a maximum of 440 miles. I also know that I have lost little, if anything on depreciation....despite adding 7k miles to it in 4 months (!), even WBAC are offering just £1.8k less than I paid for it. Financially, trading this in would be easy with a capital E!

Then....this came along

No, I'm not about to swap the RRS for a limo but, last week, I went to my dealer to arrange for them to fit my new Alcantara steering wheel in the Jag

Whilst there, I was moaning at the economy of the RRS to the sales director and mentioned how I liked the looks of the new XJ (OK, I'm waiting for the piss takes on this one but, compared to a 7 or S-class, it's almost futuristic!).

Cue the sales director spotting jumping on the opportunity to put me in another one of his cars and offering me the option to take his XJ L (note the 'L') for a week and see what I think. And cue me, nearly a week later on, being Über impressed with yet another one of JLR's finest and saving myself a fortune in fuel in the process. Trips to London where I average 27mpg at best in the RRS saw 43mpg in the XJ despite it having a more powerful version of the same engine!

The XJ drives like pretty much every other modern Jaguar.....a properly sorted but firm ride, great body control and roll-free handling. It isn't, and doesn't feel like a heavy car....it has a character that's very much like a (physically very big) sports car that also happens to be the quietest car I've yet experienced.

Inside....well, judge for yourself. Personally, I love the design which despite having some wood is very modern, flowing and cohesive. The material quality is right up there but, and this is the one and only disappointment, it still doesn't feel like it has quite the Germanic solidity. Theres nothing much wrong on the move (bar a squeaky seat) but like my RRS, you prod some of the bits and they make a creaking noise. This limo version has all the toys including some cool rear seat entertainment functionality, and a Meridian sound system which is simply RUDE. If this car is aimed at the nearly-dead then, when they crank up that audio system, they'll have a heart attack and be 6ft under in seconds. I did wonder why JLR have ditched Bowers and Wilkins for Meridian but on listening to it, I do wonder how much better in-car audio needs to get?

All in all, sat in this car gives a really strong feel-good sensation as it's such a special place to be and it's simply just a wonderful (and cheap!) car to whack the miles on. It's an infinitely better car than the RRS in almost every way, bar possibly image (contentious that one), residuals and off-road ability. I would happily have a SWB version to replace the RRS and at a little over £30k for an 18m old example, it's lost 60% of it's value. Yet theres that nagging feeling that no matter how good it is, and no matter how much the financials back it up, I also really do like the RRS. Life.....it can be tough at time
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Very nice motors mate!!
      11-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #3
xs2man
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

Indeed. Very nice motors, and a very nice write up too.

I feel for your conundrum. Can't be an easy decision to make. The fuel consumption issue would bother me too, especially when your worse off than your XKR-S in the RRS. And the XJ being such a nice car to boot.

Still, the practicality of the RRS would make it even harder for me.

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 01:41 AM   #4
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Andrew, excellent write up as usual. Two very desirable motors there, I have been a LR fan since we had our Disco 3, it's one of the only cars my wife pines after. The RRS is a beauty and I love the interior, am slightly surprised ou haven't managed to get the deal of the century ona new model FFRR! You seem to have done well on the depreciation front too.

The XJ is the pick of the big executive motors in my view, very distinctive and with so much more soul than a 7 or an S class.

What a dilemma.......
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 01:54 AM   #5
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Great write up on the RRS, I have to admit I do like the model you have but I hated the one before that due to the low rent interior.

Now that jag is awesome, I have a real soft spot for the XJ and that I interior is stunning. But it would be very hard to choose between them, the 4x4 feeling is hard to move away from. It brings you back down to the same level (height) as everyone else and that's something I think you would miss (I know I would). I think the RRS and the XK give you the balance, just a shame they both drink fuel..

I have a feeling that I am going to feel the same way about fuel, going from a 2.0 Tdi TT to a 3.0d X6 will be a bit of a shock
      11-13-2012, 06:26 AM   #6
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Great write up again

1 car is driven by politicians, the other by drug dealers and yummy mummy's. I've always loved the RRS and I think it compliments the xk perfectly.

I'd admit that economy is pretty dire but to be expected in something so big and heavy. You clearly work hard and you only live once. You just need to fill it with little nuts now.

My mrs likes 4x4s and she has had them for the past 6 or 7 years now, never a RRS despite her pestering. It's really liberating knowing you can drive anywhere or do anything in the car and it swallows up tonnes of crap and kids in the process. We used to spend a lot of time outdoors and go places you wouldn't have to worry about the simple things like dirt tracks, potholes and even parking in damp fields and grass verges.

As you say the new model is much lighter, carbon body or something? Should make a huge difference to drivability and economy.

On another note, I'm frankly amazed your mrs would even let you consider chopping the RRS in for something else, she must love it.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #7
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Yup, 4x4's (or other high-up soft-roaders) are great for family wagon's as they just shallow up all the shite a family need, problem being you just lazy and take everything away with you meaning it's difficult to go back to a saloon, etc.

I was wondering whether Vicki had a say in this decision. She's got enough on her plate with Andrew to be frank (his OCD meaning he has to line-up his chips on his plate parallel to one another, etc) without stealing her motor too. Then again, when 'her' car is being used for commuting, at least she's alright slumming it in the Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag. Still makes me laugh when I think about that arrangement and her co-workers faces when she pulls up at work in the XKR-S. My wife used to sometimes take my 335i & 350Z to work years ago when they were the latest & greatest, and even the Maserati upon occassion, and that caused enough of a stir at the time but they weren't brand new £100k weapons .
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Should we start the book on how long until the XJ?

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #9
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
Heh, 1st world problems eh?!
      11-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

Wishful thinking to expect you'd average 30mpg+ from the RRS! But they are still great cars which hold their value well. I'd keep hold of it...

I also love the XJ. Really hope jaguar put the V8 diesel in there one day...
      11-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I would get one just for the Meridian.
But I am a little biased...

The only system that has never got Fiona saying 'Turn it down a bit!!'.

The way they manage to give the dynamics but keep it controlled at all volumes is superb and very clever.

I also happen to think the XJ is the best all round car on the road at the moment. I would love one, never been a Jag fan, but had one for an afternoon and was smitten. Very impressive luxo barge.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Very nice motors mate!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xs2man View Post
Indeed. Very nice motors, and a very nice write up too.
Cheers chaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
The RRS is a beauty and I love the interior, am slightly surprised ou haven't managed to get the deal of the century ona new model FFRR! You seem to have done well on the depreciation front too.
Thanks Peter....yes, the RRS seems to be one of the better depreciators out there, especially if you avoid the initial hit.

The new FFRR is not on my list as it's just too big (and expensive....even I have a limit!) for a girl who barely comes up to it's waistline to drive everyday. It is after all supposed to be the missus's car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
Great write up on the RRS, I have to admit I do like the model you have but I hated the one before that due to the low rent interior.

Now that jag is awesome, I have a real soft spot for the XJ and that I interior is stunning. But it would be very hard to choose between them, the 4x4 feeling is hard to move away from. It brings you back down to the same level (height) as everyone else and that's something I think you would miss (I know I would). I think the RRS and the XK give you the balance, just a shame they both drink fuel..

I have a feeling that I am going to feel the same way about fuel, going from a 2.0 Tdi TT to a 3.0d X6 will be a bit of a shock
Yep, the original RRS interior was a bit gash and you're right, the height / size of a 4x4 has appeal. I never really 'got it' before but am kind of a convert now.

The current XK/RRS combo does have a nice, if expensive, balance which is hard to change now we're used to it.

Nice choice on the X6 BTW....I came very close to getting one of those instead of the RRS. Indeed, the main draw of the RRS was being to able to buy it from my excellent JLR dealer which is worth it's weight in gold alone....oh, and pressure from the Mrs who just pretends to be a WAG. The concept somewhat falls down though....I don't even like football and she has to work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
Great write up again

1 car is driven by politicians, the other by drug dealers and yummy mummy's. I've always loved the RRS and I think it compliments the xk perfectly.

I'd admit that economy is pretty dire but to be expected in something so big and heavy. You clearly work hard and you only live once. You just need to fill it with little nuts now.

My mrs likes 4x4s and she has had them for the past 6 or 7 years now, never a RRS despite her pestering. It's really liberating knowing you can drive anywhere or do anything in the car and it swallows up tonnes of crap and kids in the process. We used to spend a lot of time outdoors and go places you wouldn't have to worry about the simple things like dirt tracks, potholes and even parking in damp fields and grass verges.

As you say the new model is much lighter, carbon body or something? Should make a huge difference to drivability and economy.

On another note, I'm frankly amazed your mrs would even let you consider chopping the RRS in for something else, she must love it.
Little 'nuts? Mmmmm....not sure I subscribe to that idea yet!

New model is all aluminium hence it's much lighter and will be MUCH better!

The Mrs has what she's told to have and is happy with it Now, whilst it isn't quite that simple, I am extremely lucky in how 'tolerant' she is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
Yup, 4x4's (or other high-up soft-roaders) are great for family wagon's as they just shallow up all the shite a family need, problem being you just lazy and take everything away with you meaning it's difficult to go back to a saloon, etc.

I was wondering whether Vicki had a say in this decision. She's got enough on her plate with Andrew to be frank (his OCD meaning he has to line-up his chips on his plate parallel to one another, etc) without stealing her motor too. Then again, when 'her' car is being used for commuting, at least she's alright slumming it in the Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag. Still makes me laugh when I think about that arrangement and her co-workers faces when she pulls up at work in the XKR-S. My wife used to sometimes take my 335i & 350Z to work years ago when they were the latest & greatest, and even the Maserati upon occassion, and that caused enough of a stir at the time but they weren't brand new £100k weapons .
Oh Roger....no shite goes in my car. Did you not see the lines on my boot carpet I don't line my chips up though

Vicki has been really worried about using my car for work in the last few weeks....her company are in the process of making 'cuts' so she thought if she turned up in my car, it would be deemed that she didn't need her job and would be disposed of I'd argue that she'd need her job even more to pay for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
Should we start the book on how long until the XJ?
Can't see this being to profitable...it'd take a brave man to bet against it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs2man View Post
I feel for your conundrum. Can't be an easy decision to make.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobius View Post
Heh, 1st world problems eh?!
I know, I know.....what to do huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
Wishful thinking to expect you'd average 30mpg+ from the RRS!
I may have been a bit optimistic but I'd have expetced to get this on my average 70-80mph motorway run through!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
I would get one just for the Meridian.
But I am a little biased...
The only system that has never got Fiona saying 'Turn it down a bit!!'.

The way they manage to give the dynamics but keep it controlled at all volumes is superb and very clever.

I also happen to think the XJ is the best all round car on the road at the moment. I would love one, never been a Jag fan, but had one for an afternoon and was smitten. Very impressive luxo barge.
I do love your AV insight gizze....you probably see and hear things that I just wouldn't notice which I'm sure must be frustrating at times. The sound system is awesome and when I dropped the XJ off this afternoon (with Eminem pumping out of the Meridian system), I immediately put the same song on in my car to compare. Well, I thought the B&W in the XK was as good as it got for standard-fit car audio but, compared to the Meridian, it was 'soundly' beaten! You 'feel' the song more from the XK's B&W system (the bass can be felt in your chest which I always love.....like stood in front of really loud subs at a concert) but thats probably down to the acoustics of the smaller cabin. Outside of this, the XJ's Meridian system was crisper, less harsh and a lot more powerful.

Anyway Gizze.....if you're reading this, I'm still waiting for your recommended Sony HX923 calibrated picture settings

I know it's quite amusing, but I really don't know what to do as I like the RRS but as has been said a few times above, the XJ is impressive. If I'm honest, I'm surprised at the overwhelming positive response it's got on here as I thought I'd get some piss-taking for being a fan of it!

Well, I returned the XJ today and although I got straight back into my XKR-S, if I'm honest, for the first few miles (of mainly motorway driving), I think I preferred many aspects of the XJ diesel, not least the gearbox (whilst the 6-speed ZF box in mine is good for an automatic, the 8-speeder ZF is DCT-good), interior, audio/telematics......lot's of things really. Then, I left the motorway and had the opportunity nail it round a roundabout - normal service and opinion then resumed and was reaffirmed when I got out and looked at it! For a small moment on that journey, I went mad.

My plan that I mentioned above? If I get an F-Type (and I'd now even consider a convertible one as it looks that good in real life), my missus will be delighted and I can then have free reign to get whatever barge I see fit!

Going back to the RRS for a moment, you may have seen this already but I meant to attach this video to my original post which shows what crazy things this car can do! If you doubt whether it is that steep (and is instead the camera angle), just watch it coming back down which pretty much confirms this as genuine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYW6KdnNy9o

By the way, how do you embed a video into a thread rather than just show a link?

Last edited by Palmnuts; 11-13-2012 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Andrew, I say keep the Range Rover. Has to be a good car for Winter plus agree with other's once you have a 4x4 in the fleet hard to let it go. We have the Yeti which is a toy in comparison but really would miss it if we went back to a normal car.
      11-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #14
shrink
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 325i SE

The xj is superb. Having had the chance to drive most of jaguars current line up, this is the one that impresses the most. Being sporty yet plush, nimble yet quiet, smooth yet planted. It's a great vehicle. It also needs no more than the Diesel engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #15
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
The XJ strikes me as an out of character car for you Andrew - at this moment anyway. Having read as you went through lots of V8 saloons, and then evolving to GT sports cars, leaving the V8s and petrol to go to an even bigger, diesel, saloon doesn't seem to fit.

I assume you would be replacing the RRS with it but right now you have two really great and really contrasting vehicles, both highly interesting but in different ways. I would have thought the RRS could actually last a while as some of it's functions and capabilities are particular to it and provided you wanted to benefit from those capabilities, then there would be little reason for you to get rid.

Just a thought...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 06:46 AM   #16
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

Entertaining read as always Andrew!

A (young) friend of mine is on his second XJ and loves them to bits!!

Despite all you say, I reckon you will have problems prising the RRS away from your other half.....once they get used to the 4x4 experience its very hard to convince them to try something else.... voe!!

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #17
Vaheed1
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

I love that XJ! proper gentleman's car IMO.

I asked the wife recently if she fancied chopping her car in for a RRS next year - she told me, in no uncertain terms, that "she wouldn't be seen dead in one" - bloody shame, as I really fancy one but can't see myself getting used to the idea of driving one every day.... Hence why I would like to replace her car with it and then use it when I fancied. Women, eh?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #18
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
And there was I thinking the depreciation on my A7 was big. Can't believe I could have had that XJ for the same money.

Might have to consider it next time as that does look like a lot of very nice car.
      11-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #19
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

I know what you mean about having two expensive cars on the drive, I never thought I would have an X6 and a 911. The funny thing is I have a new focus diesel at the moment (hire car) and I have to admit its brilliant. With 163hp, a dual clutch gearbox and great handling it's great to drive. Its very well equipped, nav, dab, bluetooth (audio and phone) and is cheap to buy/run. Love it

I think it's worth trying as many cars as possible when buying a new car as you may just find something that totally surprises you.
      11-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #20
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Andrew, I say keep the Range Rover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
I assume you would be replacing the RRS with it but right now you have two really great and really contrasting vehicles, both highly interesting but in different ways. I would have thought the RRS could actually last a while as some of it's functions and capabilities are particular to it and provided you wanted to benefit from those capabilities, then there would be little reason for you to get rid.

Just a thought...
Both of you are, of course, right. Theres no denying the XJ is a much better 'car' but, the RRS is an altogether different experience and a superb contrast to the XKR.

Also, despite there being only two of us, the practicality of being able to put anything in it is just plain convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrink View Post
The xj is superb. It's a great vehicle. It also needs no more than the Diesel engine.
I imagine the Supersport which has the engine from my car makes for one insanely competent, if surreal car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbin View Post
Entertaining read as always Andrew!

A (young) friend of mine is on his second XJ and loves them to bits!!

Despite all you say, I reckon you will have problems prising the RRS away from your other half.....once they get used to the 4x4 experience its very hard to convince them to try something else.... voe!!
Young and XJ in one sentence? Theres hope for me after all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaheed1 View Post
I love that XJ! proper gentleman's car IMO.

I asked the wife recently if she fancied chopping her car in for a RRS next year - she told me, in no uncertain terms, that "she wouldn't be seen dead in one" - bloody shame, as I really fancy one but can't see myself getting used to the idea of driving one every day.... Hence why I would like to replace her car with it and then use it when I fancied. Women, eh?
The total opposite to my other half then To be honest, she didn't want it at first but only because she thought it was too big. Once she'd successfully parked it though, the smaller Evoque we were going to buy was out of the running.

Now, she thinks the same about the new FFRR in that it;s too big. This time though, even I'd think twice about how I'd squeeze into a parking space or multi-storey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m@rk View Post
And there was I thinking the depreciation on my A7 was big. Can't believe I could have had that XJ for the same money.

Might have to consider it next time as that does look like a lot of very nice car.
I may have been a bit misleading saying one of these was low £30k's because the one I had was a brand new (limo) version with pretty much every option (although to be fair, Portfolio spec comes with nearly everything anyway). The older ones also don't have the new 8-speed 'box (fitted from summer 2011 onwards only). So, whilst £30k doesn't buy this car, £45k does.....and thats still a crazy saving on the list of £68k and a whole lot of car for the money.

Saying that, heres an example of a cheap approved SWB Portfolio spec car:

http://used.jaguar.co.uk/used-cars/x...icleid=1852901

I also just realised that a new V8 S/C Supersport is £92k!!!

Look what this approved 60-plate one is up for....

http://used.jaguar.co.uk/used-cars/x...icleid=1837689

For those that can't be bothered to click the link.....thats £45k!!! An easy £41-42k after a bit of 'work' And, as you can't get the new 8-speed 'box on the Supersport, there is no reason not to buy an 18m old one. (They also have 12-platers for just £10k more)

Mmm....now goes away to consider options and what else one could do with the money saved. Maybe that new FFRR with a V8 diesel isn't so big after all!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 04:50 AM   #21
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Entertaining read, Andrew. As usual! Cool photos too. I actually like the XJ's design, for me it's a bit reminiscent of the first generation Maserati GT with the boomerang rear lights (which I really liked).

I'm not a big fan of rolling wall units like the RRS to be honest, even if it doesn't look half bad in white. It's certainly practical though and the height you're sitting in it apparently makes even dwarves feel like giants (here in Luxembourg mostly girls drive these 4by4s, and the tinier they are, the bigger the car is). You probably remember that my better half would love a Cayenne...but her being parking-challenged with a Corsa, this does not seem a good idea to me right now.

Take care mate!

Alpina_B3_Lux

P.S. I liked your comment on "Germanic solidity"