E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > How much power will ASR turbo upgrade make today?

View Poll Results: How much power will ASR turbo upgrade make on dynojet?
481+ 64 40.25%
461-480 35 22.01%
441-460 37 23.27%
421-440 13 8.18%
415-420 (same as stock turbos - FAIL) 10 6.29%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

04-05-2009, 08:05 PM   #67
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
why dont we just wait and see what comes of it?

all i know is there was a quick little 135i today built by asr which is a test bed for future products for our cars. its running, its tuned.. those are the facts. all other shit is pure speculation.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 08:28 PM   #68
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Long View Post
Well I think when you spend top dollar for a turbo kit it should look and utilize the majority of the OEM system which the piggyback is not, piggybacks are kind of old fashioned. Also a inherent side effect of a piggybacks as is that it only alters or tries to simulate the signal the ECU sees and never changes the actual programming, just attempts to manipulate it. The manipulation can only go so far as most piggybacks alter just one (at most a handful) of signals at certain RPM points and not necessarily the array of load maps the ECU relies on. With today’s ECU’s, signal modifications confuse the ECU’s learning mode often resulting in poor drivability. Also, direct changes in one signal may also trigger indirect changes elsewhere which can lead to undesired consequences. If you have the technical ability to properly adjust the factory ECU, there is no reason to falsify its input signals with a piggyback.
yep... still clueless. Computers don't have feelings. They don't mind being fooled. There are three things that determine engine output: fuel, spark and timing. If you can get the desired output consistently all three fronts, then you have a faultless tune. Doesn't matter if it comes from a piggyback, a flash or a monkey with a soldering iron sitting on the ECU.

Making definitive statements about the benefits or shortcomings of anything that you are not well versed in is nothing but self righteous ignorance. And I can assure you, "Bob Long", you don't know jack about the PROcede.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #69
cuban335i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i xdrive

^
'12 e92 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo - ADV.1 ADV10, Volk TE37SL, OSS, Innotech F1, Arkym, iND
'09 e92 335i Alpine White/Saddle Brown - fully modded
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 08:58 PM   #70
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Quote:
Well I think when you spend top dollar for a turbo kit it should look and utilize the majority of the OEM system which the piggyback is not, piggybacks are kind of old fashioned.
Ok. We went from you not being happy due to fuel management, which there is, to the type of tuning method. Home flashing might be readily available in the next year, and they will have all the bugs worked out of this kit.

It is too early to judge. These are very exciting reports on this kit, but I will not be an early adopter for something like this. I plan to sit back and enjoy all the findings for several months.

ASR and Vishnu are doing some great things for the N54 platform and we should all be happy that they enjoy investing their time and effort to bring us better products through their research and development.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 09:02 PM   #71
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Bob Long is clearly here to try to start shit, i think everyone should do themselves a favor and just put him on your ignore list.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 09:15 PM   #72
Bob Long
Banned
Rep
Drives: TwinTurbd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
Bob Long is clearly here to try to start shit, i think everyone should do themselves a favor and just put him on your ignore list.

No that is not why I am here. I see there is a huge folllowing on here for Shiv and there is nothing wrong with that, but please take time to think outside the box if you have any knowledge on turbo kits and not just follow the leader.

I understand I go against the grain here and I do not follow the status quo, but it is my opinnion, it doesn't make it wrong. Also if you had something of value of the tech source then maybe you could keep it on topic and stop making off topic and idiotic posts. Obviously you have nothing to offer so please stay out of the thead. Maybe someone besides Shiv (the owner and seller of a piggyback) that would like to tell me why a piggyback over a full controlling flash?

Note: I am all for the success of this turbo kit and I do appreciate the ground breaking event that Shiv and Amid are putting towards this. It can only grow from here. Please do not read too much into my posts and it may sound a little pessimistic but its really not meant in that manner; I thought this was a public forum to present any opinnions and ideas or thoughts???
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 09:17 PM   #73
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No that is not why I am here. I see there is a huge folllowing on here for Shiv and there is nothing wrong with that, but please take time to think outside the box if you have any knowledge on turbo kits and not just follow the leader.

I understand I go against the grain here and I do not follow the status quo, but it is my opinnion, it doesn't make it wrong. Also if you had something of value of the tech source then maybe you could keep it on topic and stop making off topic and idiotic posts. Obviously you have nothing to offer so please stay out of the thead. Maybe someone besides Shiv (the owner and seller of a piggyback) that would like to tell me why a piggyback over a full controlling flash?

Note: I am all for the success of this turbo kit and I do appreciate the ground breaking event that Shiv and Amid are putting towards this. It can only grow from here. Please do not read too much into my posts and it may sound a little pessimistic but its really not meant in that manner; I thought this was a public forum to present any opinnions and ideas or thoughts???
Take you own advice much?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 09:22 PM   #74
Bob Long
Banned
Rep
Drives: TwinTurbd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Take you own advice much?
Excuse me but I see this forum is E90post.com, NOT VishnuPost.com.

I can relay any thoughts I have towards not liking generic piggybacks for turbo kits.

Lay off, and for a sponsor of the site you are more like the Nazi's and I guess you would be Hitler and your close followers here would be the SS.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #75
runningman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i SP

Quote:
I'm with you. The piggyback tuning is a somewhat of a joke, but there are other tuning options out there. Just use this thread to evaluate the upgraded turbos and intercooler combo. A used V3 piggyback is $325 so you can always just buy one and then toss it later and get a real tune.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #76
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I can relay any thoughts I have towards not liking generic piggybacks for turbo kits.

Lay off, and for a sponsor of the site you are more like the Nazi's and I guess you would be Hitler and your close followers here would be the SS.
There's a fine line between being a disingenuous hater/troll (like runningman) and being a ignorant ass. And you just crossed it with your last post. Congrats. Your parents must be proud.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 09:30 PM   #77
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningman View Post
I'm with you. The piggyback tuning is a somewhat of a joke, but there are other tuning options out there. Just use this thread to evaluate the upgraded turbos and intercooler combo. A used V3 piggyback is $325 so you can always just buy one and then toss it later and get a real tune.
somewhat of a joke? So far there have been zero flashes that have been anywhere near impressive. If piggy tuning is 'somewhat of a joke", then flash tuning for this car is a huge joke.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 09:42 PM   #78
Slidewayz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Back in the day, it was a running joke on message boards that a thread was officially dead when Nazis were mentioned.

I think I can speak for every other reader of this thread in saying that we we care about is (1) how much safe power these upgraded turbos throw down on pump gas with a nice spool/area under the curve, and (2) see (1).
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 09:58 PM   #79
crazya_22
Q
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
You are absolutely correct, but keep in mind it is not ignorantassholes.net either.

If you do not like the product don't buy it, if it is too expensive don't buy it, but please let the people who are interested find out what they can about what is going on... without trying to start a fight at every opportunity.

Come on, don't be THAT guy... realize not everything revolves around you and your opinion. Pay attention to whats going on, or ignore it, but do not stir shit up just because your 5 and 1/2 years in high school wasn't long enough.

Q
      04-05-2009, 10:03 PM   #80
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Shiv, full review please.. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 10:04 PM   #81
92tripleblack
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 AW Saddle, Spt, Prem

Flash vs. piggyback. No difference to a motor. At the end of the day, as Shiv said, if you get the desired effect, what difference does it make.
The benefit of a flash is you can change it by plugging in and reflashing.
The benefit of a Piggyback is you can take it on and off easily. Otherwise, no difference. There aren't any magical programings under the surface that a flash can access that a piggyback can't. It isn't that complicated.

Also, as noted, no one has produced a flash that has performed as well as a piggyback so far. Dinan, ESS, etc. don't seem to have anything on Piggybacks, or at least that anyone has shown yet.

So lets see what we get, then start badmouthing it. I'm sure you wouldn't be upset if in the end it was 500hp/tq piggyback or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #82
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 Supra Turbo

Im sure a new thread will be started witha full review sometime soon...Shiv should keep posting in this thread to draw all the haters and trolls away from the real review thread...kind of like one of those electric fly traps

Former Car: '16 SUNBURST GOLD F80 ///M3--6MT/Carbon Cloth (ED Thread)
Former Car:'13 SANTORINI BLUE E92///M3--6MT/Speed Cloth/ZCP(ED Thread)
INSTAGRAM:@C2KMotorsports
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #83
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazya_22 View Post
You are absolutely correct, but keep in mind it is not ignorantassholes.net either.

If you do not like the product don't buy it, if it is too expensive don't buy it, but please let the people who are interested find out what they can about what is going on... without trying to start a fight at every opportunity.

Come on, don't be THAT guy... realize not everything revolves around you and your opinion. Pay attention to whats going on, or ignore it, but do not stir shit up just because your 5 and 1/2 years in high school wasn't long enough.

Q
+1
      04-05-2009, 10:49 PM   #84
garmboyz_nat
Private First Class
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 11:04 PM   #85
EpicE92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: V6 Mustang

Wow being i am in the market right now for a 335i and seeing the devolpment on a new turbo kit really makes me want a 335i THAT much more. Thank you to Shiv and ASR engineering for doing this . Now lets get some Dyno graphs and videos up!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 11:05 PM   #86
xVeNoMx
Private First Class
Colombia
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Garage List
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]

Gone- 2009 335xi BSM/SB
2010 R8 v10 Suzuka Grey/Tuscan Brown
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 11:16 PM   #87
OverBoostin1
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Quote:
Is this your first turbo'd car?
No sir, my 13th. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a piggyback, as long as it's tuned correctly and covers all Fuel and Timing perameters.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #88
OverBoostin1
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
yep... still clueless. Computers don't have feelings. They don't mind being fooled. There are three things that determine engine output: fuel, spark and timing. If you can get the desired output consistently all three fronts, then you have a faultless tune. Doesn't matter if it comes from a piggyback, a flash or a monkey with a soldering iron sitting on the ECU.

Making definitive statements about the benefits or shortcomings of anything that you are not well versed in is nothing but self righteous ignorance. And I can assure you, "Bob Long", you don't know jack about the PROcede.

Shiv
VERY VERY Nicely said

Shiv said, stick that in your pipes and smoke it
Appreciate 0