E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > How long does it take you to wash your car?

05-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

How long does it take you to wash your car?

Just curious how long you guys are taking to wash your cars. For me, it can be anywhere from 2-3 hours at least to do the exterior. I rinse then wash my wheels (including lug holes, barrels, the face, and the tires 3 times) then rinse again, then rinse and 2 bucket method for washing the exterior and rinse again, then sheet the car, blow dry it, then go over the whole exterior with CG's V7 with a waffle weave, and last but not least apply tire gel. This is on an E90 for reference. I feel like I take too long, but I like a thorough wash rather than a quick get-it-over-with wash.
      05-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bagged E92

Takes me 2 hours to wash and dry my car by hand. I wash the rims and tires first then the body after all that i put tire gel.
      05-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

3 hours seems to be the norm for me since my car is JB. I been tweaking my process lately and got it closer to 2. This is still a work in progress. I am hoping someday I could get down to about an hour and half without sacrificing quality.

My current process looks like this.

Wheels and wheel well (power wash)
Foam pre-soak
Rinse (power wash)
Foam and wash with one bucket (rinse)
Rinse (power wash)
Sheet, Blow, dab w/MF
Spray detailer and tire dressing

I am toying with the idea of incorporating GD method to my current process. No wash mitts...just plush MF towels in soap bucket.
      05-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
3 hours seems to be the norm for me since my car is JB. I been tweaking my process lately and got it closer to 2. This is still a work in progress. I am hoping someday I could get down to about an hour and half without sacrificing quality.

My current process looks like this.

Wheels and wheel well (power wash)
Foam pre-soak
Rinse (power wash)
Foam and wash with one bucket (rinse)
Rinse (power wash)
Sheet, Blow, dab w/MF
Spray detailer and tire dressing

I am toying with the idea of incorporating GD method to my current process. No wash mitts...just plush MF towels in soap bucket.
You make me feel normal now. The wheels and drying take forever.
      05-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otruba_843 View Post
3 hours are too long and how often do you wash your car?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
A maintenance wash always seem to take longer for me. I don't want to do anything that would induce defects during the wash.

If I am on a client's vehicle with paint corrections to come, it will naturally be a different story. Much shorter time since I don't have to be as careful.... I will be buffing it out anyway.

I thought you had your wheels opti-coated. If so, it shouldn't take long to do. Opti-coat is probably the best coating for wheels IMO and I have install a few in the past year (CQuartz, CQuartz UK, Gtechnig Exo, Opti Coat).

I didn't put a coating on my car because I like to try out new products way too much. I been trying out the CarPro Hydr02 touchless sealant for the last 3 weeks and it made wheel cleaning process so much easier. No cleaner or soap. I take my power washer to them and they were clean in less than 10 minutes.
      05-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post
3 hours are too long and how often do you wash your car?
I don't think the frequency of wash is a factor. On some paint system like BMW Jet Black (Soft paint), marring from washing is very real. Great care has to be employ for a simple maintenance wash. A harder paint system is much more forgiving and this is why the detailing community refer to the "BMW Jet Black " not as a color but as a full time job. Yes.... it will scratch if I sneeze on it too hard.

And besides.... this is one of the few tasks that my wife wants no part of so it is therapy for me. "Me" time......

I will be in so much trouble if she ever see this....

Last edited by psnt1ol; 05-30-2013 at 08:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A maintenance wash always seem to take longer for me. I don't want to do anything that would induce defects during the wash.

If I am on a client's vehicle with paint corrections to come, it will naturally be a different story. Much shorter time since I don't have to be as careful.... I will be buffing it out anyway.

I thought you had your wheels opti-coated. If so, it shouldn't take long to do. Opti-coat is probably the best coating for wheels IMO and I have install a few in the past year (CQuartz, CQuartz UK, Gtechnig Exo, Opti Coat).

I didn't put a coating on my car because I like to try out new products way too much. I been trying out the CarPro Hydr02 touchless sealant for the last 3 weeks and it made wheel cleaning process so much easier. No cleaner or soap. I take my power washer to them and they were clean in less than 10 minutes.
No I don't. Im still waiting to Opti-Coat my wheels whenever I get a new set. I agree with not putting coatings on the paint. I like to try new products and wax my car unless its an impossibly hard wax to apply.
Quote:
I don't think the frequency of wash is a factor. On some paint system like BMW Jet Black (Soft paint), marring from washing is very real. Great care has to be employ for a simple maintenance wash. A harder paint system is much more forgiving and this is why the detailing community refer to the "BMW Jet Black " not as a color but as a full time job. Yes.... it will scratch if I sneeze on it too hard.
I agree, my Monaco Blue is incredibly easy to induce marring.
      05-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

depends on how long it was before my previous wash

if it has just been a week and the car is only dusty, i just do a quickie with the hose and two buckets. maybe 45 minutes to an hour including setup time

i'm pretty lazy with the wheels too
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #10
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
then go over the whole exterior with CG's V7 with a waffle weave

Hey Otruba_843.

I been using CG V7 for over a year now. The durability is questionable especially if it is over a wax but it seems to be doing much better now since I polycharged it. By polycharging it, V7 is even more easier to apply (much less buffing). I always like the way it looked but it is just not as hydrophobic as I like it to be. The more hydrophobic a surface is the easier to dry with a blower. There are other products that is more hydrophobic but not many could rival the look. IMO The practice of sheeting is a must if you are looking for a faster drying time with this product.

The time I specified earlier includes set up and take down time ( the buckets, pressure washer, water softener & filter, and all the hoses between them). so I guess I am close to my "hour and a half" goal.
      05-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #11
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey Otruba_843.

I been using CG V7 for over a year now. The durability is questionable especially if it is over a wax but it seems to be doing much better now since I polycharged it. By polycharging it, V7 is even more easier to apply (much less buffing). I always like the way it looked but it is just not as hydrophobic as I like it to be. The more hydrophobic a surface is the easier to dry with a blower. There are other products that is more hydrophobic but not many could rival the look. IMO The practice of sheeting is a must if you are looking for a faster drying time with this product.

The time I specified earlier includes set up and take down time ( the buckets, pressure washer, water softener & filter, and all the hoses between them). so I guess I am close to my "hour and a half" goal.
How do you polycharge V7? I find there is almost no buffing required as is. I find it has absolutely no protection though. Im pretty sure its just a QD even though CG says its a spray sealant. Does it even have any water beading? I never tested because I had BFWD on the paint. Despite all of this, it's a joy to apply and remove and the look is amazing! Are there any spray waxes that are easy to apply that do offer protection?
      05-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #12
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How do you polycharge V7? I find there is almost no buffing required as is. I find it has absolutely no protection though. Im pretty sure its just a QD even though CG says its a spray sealant. Does it even have any water beading? I never tested because I had BFWD on the paint. Despite all of this, it's a joy to apply and remove and the look is amazing! Are there any spray waxes that are easy to apply that do offer protection?
AG sells a polycharger kit. It used to be a favorite on the forum but then brands like Ultima and Blackfire came out with products that has polycharger in them so the popularity of polycharger went down. Like I said earlier, I haven't come across another spray sealant that rival V7 in looks. This was the reason I add ploycharger to it so that it would last longer. With the induction of Polycharger, 2 quick wipes of the MF were enough to buff off the V7 residue. It is literally wax on/wax off.

Reload is a good option if you are looking for a spray sealant that is more durable but since you are a wax guy..... any sealant over a wax will have a shorter than norm life-span, unfortunately.

Personally speaking, since I still have over a gallon of V7 as well as a liter of Reload. It will be a long while till I buy another spray sealant.
      05-31-2013, 02:03 AM   #13
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

2-3 hours for me.

Spray off all loose dirt and then wash one panel at a time. Work the wheels. Do a final rinse spray down, check for any dirt and grime I may have missed, then spray once more after hitting it. Roll the car into the garage to hand dry then hit up with wax then spend the next 2 hours on the interior. Definitely looking to using a clay kit this weekend.
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 08:24 AM   #14
._.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

wheels/brakes/wheel wells alone are about an hour. Washing and drying about an hour. Sheeting the water before drying makes drying trivial. Interior anywhere from an hour to two depending on if I am cleaning leather as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #15
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90, 2011 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-NA.E92 View Post
Takes me 2 hours to wash and dry my car by hand. I wash the rims and tires first then the body after all that i put tire gel.
I do the same procedure but it takes me around 1.5 hours. I usually do the interior on a different day. I wash my car weekly if I can but interior maybe every 2-3 months.

Quote:
I sometimes do his when I'm in a hurry. Using the GD definitely saves you time because you only use one bucket and just toss the towel when its dirty. I usually use 4-6 towels depending. I've also been using the MF chenille mitt for the bottom panels since they are more dirty than the top panels.

For spray waxes you can try Optimum Spray Wax. It's good for in between waxes and pretty easy to apply. For sealant's I've heard Blackfire Crystal Seal or Optimum Opti-seal is real easy to use. Spray on and walk away no buffing required.

Last edited by Zero_09; 05-31-2013 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 11:35 AM   #16
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
3 hours car wash every week
4 times a month that is 12 hours/month
144 hours/year
1440 hours in 10 years
and 2880 hours in 20 years
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #17
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
depends on how long it was before my previous wash

if it has just been a week and the car is only dusty, i just do a quickie with the hose and two buckets. maybe 45 minutes to an hour including setup time

i'm pretty lazy with the wheels too
I'm closer to you. I don't know how it would take 3 hours to wash ANY car.

People must be talking about a full in/out detail. Washing weekly it takes me about 20 minutes to do the wheels, 20-25 to wash the body and maybe 10 to dry it after flood/sheet rinse. That's less that an hour. A quick vacuum and interior wipe down, tire dressing and a final detail spray and it's still under 90 minutes.

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 03:01 PM   #18
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley View Post
I'm closer to you. I don't know how it would take 3 hours to wash ANY car.

People must be talking about a full in/out detail. Washing weekly it takes me about 20 minutes to do the wheels, 20-25 to wash the body and maybe 10 to dry it after flood/sheet rinse. That's less that an hour. A quick vacuum and interior wipe down, tire dressing and a final detail spray and it's still under 90 minutes.
An hour is normal , i take an hour too
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #19
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

My weekly wash takes me about 2 hours just the exterior. I like to take my time and do a good job.
      05-31-2013, 04:14 PM   #20
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko View Post
My weekly wash takes me about 2 hours just the exterior. I like to take my time and do a good job.
if i had the convenience of a tent or garage, i'd probably take my time too and have a spotless car every day

it's hard to keep up with it when you're street parked
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 06:51 PM   #21
jeverton
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i M Sport Coupe

2-3 hours is ideal for a good hand wash... It's relaxing and I enjoy the time to do things correctly. I'm curious if anyone is using a specific technique in the process.

How to you achieve optimal results? Do you leverage a two bucket technique?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 07:55 PM   #22
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post
3 hours car wash every week
4 times a month that is 12 hours/month
144 hours/year
1440 hours in 10 years
and 2880 hours in 20 years
Ok....

Brush my teeth after every meal - 5 mins
3 times a day - 15 mins
one week - 1.75 Hr
52 weeks - 91 hrs
10 years - 910 hrs
20 years - 1820 hrs

Daily Shower - 20 mins
one week - 2.33 hrs
52 weeks - 121 hrs
10 years - 1212 hrs
20 years - 2423 hrs

Average daily commute to work and back - 1.5 hrs
one week - 11 hrs
52 weeks - 572 hrs
10 years - 5720 hrs
20 years - 11440 hrs

In 20 years times... I will spend 3/4 less time in washing my car then commuting. Spend 19 % more time than taking a daily shower. Spend about 50% more time than to brush my teeth after every meal.

I fail to see how this is relevant.