E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Fixing plastic over gauges/iDrive screen?

07-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Fixing plastic over gauges/iDrive screen?

Hi all,

just picked my car up from having an interior detail done yesterday... couldn't be happier with the seats etc. they look fantastic and like new. Of course there is a problem however, otherwise I wouldn't be posting... I noticed while driving home a little weirdness to the iDrive screen, like a smudge. It was obviously new as it's right over where the scale is, it would have been blatantly noticeable were it there before. I figured that that must just be some vinyl protectant that got on there that would come right off with window cleaner and a microfiber. However it did NOT... I don't know what it is if it is some coating that is now stuck on there, or a new scuff, or what. To make matters worse on close inspection there's something similar on the gauge cluster cover as well.

Before I attempt to polish these off, do either of those screens have an anti-glare coating on them? I don't want to make an ugly situation worse. What would you recommend in a situation like this?

thanks!

Edit: it's definitely either a scuff or chemical etch. I removed the screen and tried to clean it with dish soap and a microfiber; it's still there.

Also, if I'm reading realoem correctly it appears that the plastic cover is not sold separately but only as a unit with the screen itself?

I do have some novus plastic polish but am hesitant to go for it unless someone tells me there's no AR coating on there. (if there is, what the hell do I do?)

You've no idea how frustrated I am right now. I could kick puppies.

Last edited by N8N; 07-09-2013 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

I would go back to where you got it detailed and complain. The screens have anti-glare coatings on them so polishing is going to absolutely ruin them.
      07-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Actually I got my answer, and once I did it is already fixed *whew* (thanks to Wes from Tischer - they're actually my go to local parts source) The bad news is that the cover is NOT available separately... the good news is that the screen itself has an AR coating on it but the plastic cover is just polycarbonate. I had some Meguiar's Plast-X, and Novus #2 and #1... used them in that order (took about three tries with the Plast-X to get all the "scuff" out, then one application each of #2 and #1) fixed it right up. I can see a little swirling if I shine a flashlight on it so I probably needed to use Novus #3 in between Plast-X and #2 but I didn't have any. Looks better than it did before though even without the scuff as there were some minor lines in it (not visible driving, only when you inspected it.) Screen is already reinstalled in the car and I'm relieved. Am going to tackle the small scuff on the IP next, I think I can do that in the car...

I am gonna talk to the guy that did the detail just so he's aware of what happened and what the fix is, he's a good guy and in the mood I was in an hour ago he didn't deserve to hear from me!

Edit: #2 and #1 took care of the IP. didn't have to use the Plast-X. Can't really say for sure that that wasn't there before anyway. I'm sure about the iDrive screen though because of where it was. *whew* pant, gasp, etc.

Last edited by N8N; 07-09-2013 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otruba_843 View Post
I would go back to where you got it detailed and complain. The screens have anti-glare coatings on them so polishing is going to absolutely ruin them.
is there a way to put anti glare coating back on the odometer? is there any liquid or spray you apply?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post
is there a way to put anti glare coating back on the odometer? is there any liquid or spray you apply?
I don't think there is one there, but it doesn't look like the IP is that hard to remove. I suspect if you wanted one you could polish the plastic up well and then apply an anti-glare film as used for laptop screens, phone screens, etc. Not a bad idea in fact given the fact that apparently neither polycarb cover is available separately. Maybe if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself see if a tint shop would do it for you, as the application procedure is very similar to applying window tint film.
Appreciate 0