E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Guidence please gents - CIC upgrade

07-17-2014, 08:46 AM   #1
spritemad
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 330d highline

Guidence please gents - CIC upgrade

Hi All - i'm a nooby here and a 1st time BMW owner to boot ! been reading lots of stuff on the various forums for a while and getting confused by some of what i'm reading !

Appologies if I've posted this is in the wrong place !

recently bought a 2009 E93 330D Highline Auto - great car !

it has the CIC system with what (from reading the forums) i believe is a Business navigation system fitted. It has smaller screen & a single USB in the glovebox with an aux input in the centre console, bluetooth phone pairing works fine but voice recognition seems odd - push the button and it asks for a command but then tells me it doesn't recognise the command.

I am planning to upgrade it to the "professional" unit with the larger screen and add a USB to the console so i have purchased the head unit & display, also got a USB/aux connector and cables and an emulator.

I think i've figured out how to take the car apart to fit the hardware, but before i start i thought i'd ask if there is anything else i might need ?

I have also ordered a coding kit (cable & software) from BMW Cables (UK) but again would be greatfull of any advise regarding changes in this area also.

I am fairly tech savy and used to playing with cars (some newish but mainly 60's & 70's) so pre ecu !

thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
cage911
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93 Msport

You will need a combox, if you are planning on running a usb in the centre console (6FL)?

Speak to Sam (Makkan00) he will be able to give you all the advise you need.
      07-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
spritemad
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

thanks for the reply

Sam - can you tell from my VIN if the Combox is already there or not ? or would it be easy for me to physically check on the car ?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #4
spritemad
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

So i've been doing a bit more digging... Car is fitted with a TCU in the boot. Cant see anything else anywhere.

Whats the best option ? add a MULF2 or a COMBOX ?

can anyone help with parts lists etc ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 09:10 AM   #5
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritemad View Post
thanks for the reply

Sam - can you tell from my VIN if the Combox is already there or not ? or would it be easy for me to physically check on the car ?
Yes, check the VIN, Combox is listed as:

S6VCA or 6VC Combox controller
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 04:23 AM   #6
spritemad
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok, so i've checked the VIN and combox isn't listed and had a look under the boot floor and i only have the TCU fitted.

So i am correct in thinking that after swoping the business hu & screen fro the professional setup, i could swop the TCU for a combox with a jumper harness, fit the usb/aux in the console and get the car re coded and all would be well ?
Appreciate 0