E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > What's a good leather conditioning for red leather?

07-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
335ihatch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

What's a good leather conditioning for red leather?

I have red interior on my 335i and was wondering what should I use to keep it clean and fresh. I know when I boughtt the car they use some kind of conditioner that was red because I saw some where they went over by the seat controls. And I'm guessing it's good because it made my car smell real nice now that I had the car for 2 months I don't smell that anymore. Any help will be appreciated thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
335ihatch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Sorry for the noob question.. It's my first BMW
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #3
hasta la pasta 27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Chevy Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ihatch View Post
Sorry for the noob question.. It's my first BMW
its not a noob question but its a very "common" question that could easily be searched

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711810
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630216
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693193

Personally have used Leatherique, Leather Masters, and Pristine and they are all top notch. comes down to personal preference. Hope this helps. Try going to google and search whatever you are looking for and just through e90post somewhere in there and you will get all related threads. just an FYI before you get flamed. Congrats on the new car btw
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 12:25 AM   #4
hasta la pasta 27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Chevy Silverado

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412599

GREAT EXAMPLE right here.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 03:15 AM   #5
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Finished leather upholstery is used by 95% as OEM in modern automobiles. It comprises a ~ 150 µ (6 Mil) multi stratum acrylic and polyurethane resin binder system covering over the leather hide; the top strata are the surface pigmentation (colour) and an abrasion resistant urethane is used to improve flexibility, fastness and adhesion to the leather, then two or three aqueous (water- based) pigmented base coat applications.

And then a clear aqueous (water- based) top coat is applied as the final stage of the finishing process, which usually includes additives to give it a soft feel (patina) and abrasion resistance, as well as a limited amount of ‘slide’ to assist in entering and exiting the vehicle

Cleaners and conditioners remain on the surface, it’s (urethane) protected leather as liquids other than water vapour (due to the size of its smaller molecules) will not pemetrate.

Identifying characteristics - this type of surface; it will also have an even shine.

The water-drop absorbency test- water drops will ‘bead’ on the surface

Absorbency rate -Low

Three Step Leather Care

Simple cleaning, hydration and protection are the three steps that will prolong the life of finished leather;

Urethane doesn’t require conditioning or rejuvenation; always keep in mind that you’re dealing with the finished coating on the leather and not with the leather hide itself

1. Clean - there are two cleaning-related factors that can cause your leather to wear prematurely. The first is dirt, and the second is oil, combined they become very abrasive, as dirt / grit and subsequent friction cause the finish to wear

2. Hydrated – when leather tanner’s talk about conditioning leather they are referring to its moisture content, re-hydration is used to restore or maintain fluid balance (transpiration and evaporation of moisture); not the replenishment or replacement of the fat liquoring, oils and / or waxes.

3. Protection - is essential as it will protect the surface finish, without hindering transpiration, while acting as a sacrificial layer; this way you are not actually cleaning the Leather's original surface, but cleaning from the surface of the protection. It also makes dirt easier to clean off.

Ultra violet (UV) protection - 303® Aerospace Protectant will provide invaluable ultra violet (UV) protection against photo degradation (fading); especially in a roadster or convertible vehicle, steering wheel and dashboards

Last edited by TOGWT; 07-17-2012 at 03:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
335ihatch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks guys.. Where can i buy leatherique leather masters prestine?? Autozone? Or website?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
SeansBMW328
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ihatch View Post
Thanks guys.. Where can i buy leatherique leather masters prestine?? Autozone? Or website?
Good question.. I would like to know as well... I will look online myself and see where we can find it... Want to keep the leather in good shape and make it last...

Leatherique Pristine Clean can be found at
http://www.autogeek.net/leprcl.html

Last edited by SeansBMW328; 07-20-2012 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Leatherique and Leather Masters are two differnt product lines. Both are boutique products meaning not much if any of a brick and mortar presence.

You can find both and reviews of each on Detailed Image or Detailers Domain both vendors here. In addtion Autogeek carries both as does Amazon. I'd price shop and see if the vendors will price match if found lower.

Either are good products but remember conditioners for standard automotive leather are really a placebo. See TOWGT's response and digest his info first. Basically a weekly wipe down with warm water and a mild soap solution will keep them clean. Biannual deeper cleaning will definitely help and products like mentioned above will be needed if stains like dye transfers form jeans occur.

Congrats on the car, red leather looks really nice when cared for. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #9
335dM
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d m package

I use the one sold at BMW
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
F31cruisin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

I have used leatherique in the past, and if you want the matte leather finish to come back to your used leather, it does exactly that. The rejuvinator and cleaner are amazing. I have made seats look brand new using this product.

Can be found right on their site.
http://www.leatherique.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #11
335ihatch
Enlisted Member
Rep

www.autopia-carcare.com/leatherique
Use Coupon Code LEA-AUTOPIA30 To Get 30% Off All Leatherique!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #12
Slow_335i
Daily Driven!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [7.02]
Not sure for red leather, but I recently did my whole interior with chemical guys leather cleaner and condintioner and turned out perfect!

not oily just felt really clean and "tight"

Interior I have is saddle brown

Last edited by Slow_335i; 08-12-2012 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0