E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > HELP! battery, alternator, Speakers, etc

09-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
chino3686
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 328i white sport package

HELP! battery, alternator, Speakers, etc

my 08 328i sedan is giving me issue's when trying to turn on.

I've never had issue's other than the spark plugs but as of recently the car doesn't want to turn on.

I can walk to the car and open with FOB but I won't have any power in the car (car is dead) or I can drive to a store and as soon as i take the FOB out of slot it loses all power again.

I thought it was the battery, I removed it and took it to Autozone to get it check and they said it was good.
I was driving to work this week and the dash started flickering for about 10-15 secs. After all that the radio stop working. I could see am/fm on my screen but I couldn't select it. I could select cd and see it playing but no sound came out of my speakers. Park it and same thing, I lost all power.

This morning the car turn on with out any problems. I can select am/fm now but still no sound from speakers. Checked the fuses, to see if any had burst. BUT found nothing wrong. (can someone tell me where to look at for the speakers fuses, if any)

Now I don't think its the hot weather but maybe that might be the cause. I notice one of my xenon lights is off.

AGAIN HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can someone point me in the right direction.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Voltage regulator maybe? Have the car's electrical system tested.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

Ill point you in the right direction, im pointing towards the dealer to trade it in lol
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335i

Get a test to see if the batery is sulfated. A easy way to test this is to charge the battery and if it goes above 15 volts then it is sulfated. a regular battery test will not tell you this. If it is good then start chasing wires
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 01:01 AM   #5
chino3686
Enlisted Member
Rep

now car wont start but dash has power. Almost like a starter issue. It won't crank.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
phillip@bmpdesign
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

How old is your battery? is it the original from 2008? even if a test says its good, it may not actually be "good" your electrical system is very regulated and treats the battery like a component of the entire system which is also regulated. If there is something wrong with the battery, it could cause these problems. If you bought the car used, and the battery has been replaced, whoever replaced it may not have replaced it with a correct replacement. Like in the other thread, you car will treat different battery types differently and the age of the battery. If someone dropped a new battery in there without telling the system what kind or that it was new, you can have crazy voltage spikes through the system, slowly burning out your electrical system which may or may not blow a fuse somewhere.

Every electrical pulse is monitored by your car, a dealer or reputable service shop should be able to scan your system for any error codes or funny readings. This is not the Autozone OBDII scan tool, but one designed specifically to talk to your car. You won't get a service engine light, but your car records all of its activity and if it is outside a specific parameter a good diagnostic tech should be able to identify that. Does it cost money, yes, unfortunately this is one of the things you won't be able to do on your own without investing several thousand dollars into a dealer scan tool.

Your speaker operates on a fiber optic network, like most of your creature comforts (voice, navigation, idrive, etc) and that is controlled by the MOS system which is kinda hard to break and you definitely don't want to mess with on your own.

Good luck, if you bought it used, I would have someone do a full diag, should run you about $125-$150.
Like us on facebook!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
chino3686
Enlisted Member
Rep

I've never changed the battery, and yes I bought the car used 2 yrs ago.

One other thing I can say, all this started to happened when I was leaning on my trunk and someone pressed the release trunk button on my FOB. Ever since then I have been having issues with the car. I don't know it that might do all these things.

I tried to leave the gym last night and I couldn't get the car to crank but I had full power in the car. It didn't sound like the car was even trying to turn.

Who knows I know I have a something electrical wrong, I just don't know where to find it. Maybe you're right I should take to a dealer to get it looked at, only if I could turn it on.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep

Auto or manual? If its manual just bump start it and park facing downhill. That's what I did whe my starter died.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
chino3686
Enlisted Member
Rep

It's Auto, what did it do when your starter died? Was the power okay in the car?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
Dr.GumbyM.D.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino3686 View Post
It's Auto, what did it do when your starter died? Was the power okay in the car?
If the starter is dead, it won't turn over the engine for a start, but the electrical system should still be fine, and the alternator will still turn and generate power. He's suggesting to bump start it if possible, but it won't really do anything for your problems except get your car started. And I don't know if bump starting will work on an automatic car, but I guarantee a quick internet search will give you the answer.
      09-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep

When my stater died, it just wouldn't crank. But I did hear the relay click and it smelled like burning.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #12
chino3686
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just went back to the car and checked all the fuses. All are good, still power in the car but it won't crank. I wonder if it's the starter would it had cause all the other issue's I was having. IDK

Where is the starter located at?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #13
chino3686
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just went back to the car and checked all the fuses. All are good, still power in the car but it won't crank. I wonder if it's the starter would it had cause all the other issue's I was having. IDK

Where is the starter located at?
Appreciate 0