E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > How much does border take if I buy something from CAN?

01-28-2016, 07:48 PM   #1
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
How much does border take if I buy something from CAN?

I am a US citizen buying wheels from Canada. I am going to be up front about it, and just wonder how much they will charge me when I come back down from Vancouver, BC.

I know there might be a difference from someone buying something from the US going to Canada, so I am looking for the opposite if anyone knows.

Thanks

Last edited by mashimarho; 02-01-2016 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 09:12 PM   #2
m42stanle
N52B25
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 LCI (323i)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post
I am a US citizen buying wheels from Canada. I am going to be up front about it, and just wonder how much they will charge me when I come back down from Vancouver, BC.

I know there might be a difference from someone buying something from the US going to Canada, so I am looking for the opposite if anyone knows.

Thanks
This may help:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...emption,-gifts

Wow looks like you have it better than we do, you guys even get a $200 duty free allowance for a short crossing. We Canadians are "officially" supposed to pay duty/tax on every penny spent in the US unless we stay for 24 hrs of longer.

(from CBP link above)
"If you are returning from a foreign country other than Mexico and were not there for a total of 48 hours you are entitled to a $200 duty-free exemption and the next $1,000 worth of the goods you purchased is subject to a flat rate of 3%. If the value of your goods exceeds $1,200, the remaining duty will be determined based on duty rates in the Harmonized Tariff Schedule."

FWIW if CBP treats US citizens anything like CBSA treats returning Canadians the officers have a huge amount of discretion at land crossings. You may find if you are courteous and honest about what you are bringing back he/she could just wave you through. YMMV though.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 09:17 PM   #3
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m42stanle View Post
This may help:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...emption,-gifts

Wow looks like you have it better than we do, you guys even get a $200 duty free allowance for a short crossing. We Canadians are "officially" supposed to pay duty/tax on every penny spent in the US unless we stay for 24 hrs of longer.

(from CBP link above)
"If you are returning from a foreign country other than Mexico and were not there for a total of 48 hours you are entitled to a $200 duty-free exemption and the next $1,000 worth of the goods you purchased is subject to a flat rate of 3%. If the value of your goods exceeds $1,200, the remaining duty will be determined based on duty rates in the Harmonized Tariff Schedule."

FWIW if CBP treats US citizens anything like CBSA treats returning Canadians the officers have a huge amount of discretion at land crossings. You may find if you are courteous and honest about what you are bringing back he/she could just wave you through. YMMV though.
Thanks for the info… I wonder how much it will come out to be if I bought $2000 CAD wheels, and I came back the same day.
      01-28-2016, 09:37 PM   #4
m42stanle
N52B25
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info… I wonder how much it will come out to be if I bought $2000 CAD wheels, and I came back the same day.
Then things could get a little stickier... if they have to dig out the tariff schedule it will depend on where the wheels were manufactured and whether they are new or used. If they were actually manufactured in Canada for example (or Mexico) then they could be completely duty free under NAFTA.

The one thing working in your favour is exchange, I think for duty calcs they are valuing in USD and CAD$2000 = around USD$1400 as of today. If you are close to that USD$1200 threshold they may just use the flat 3% to avoid having to hunt for the correct tariff.

If you are really bored or having trouble sleeping here is the link to the actual HTSA:
https://www.usitc.gov/tata/hts/bychapter/index.htm

My opinion FWIW is tariff could be 8708.70.45 "Parts and accessories of the motor vehicles of headings 8701 to 8705 -> Road wheels and parts and accessories thereof -> For other vehicles (i.e., not tractors)"

In which case you are probably either looking at 2.5% or duty free depending on country of origin.

(Unless your wheels were made in North Korea or Cuba, in which case you are looking at 25% duty)
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 09:38 PM   #5
xXSupa
IG @F30_MPE
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 340i MPE

Wow, only 3%?! We get charged a whopping 12% ON TOP of the 9% tax we already paid when we buy the stuff. Yes, we get taxed on the tax! It's ridiculous..

2018 F30 340i | M Performance Edition
Alpine White | Individual Black Merino Leather
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 01:46 PM   #6
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Hmm. Thank you for the info! They are manufactured in Japan in 2006.
I may even end up swapping them and putting them on and putting the Forgestars in the trunk.......
Then, I'd be a little more concerned though
      01-29-2016, 02:13 PM   #7
dbworld4k
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Just be honest, not worth trying to pull a scam like that over a couple hundred. They could seize your car or the wheels if they found out you BS'd them. Just pay the taxes and enjoy the wheels, and a stress-free crossing.

FYI they will google and check the values online. You should print out the PayPal receipt or some form of proof of how much you paid to avoid being charged on what they list for new.

The above is speaking from experience buying and selling stuff driving across the US/Canada customs for over ten years.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 03:08 PM   #8
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
Just be honest, not worth trying to pull a scam like that over a couple hundred. They could seize your car or the wheels if they found out you BS'd them. Just pay the taxes and enjoy the wheels, and a stress-free crossing.

FYI they will google and check the values online. You should print out the PayPal receipt or some form of proof of how much you paid to avoid being charged on what they list for new.

The above is speaking from experience buying and selling stuff driving across the US/Canada customs for over ten years.
Excellent. As long as there's nothing else involved other than paying a couple hundred bucks in taxes, I'm okay with it. I will make sure I print everything and what not too. I hope there's nothing more or any more restrictions than that.
      02-01-2016, 11:29 AM   #9
m42stanle
N52B25
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Excellent. As long as there's nothing else involved other than paying a couple hundred bucks in taxes, I'm okay with it. I will make sure I print everything and what not too. I hope there's nothing more or any more restrictions than that.
I'd guess less than $50 based on the tariff sched (CAD$2000 = ~USD$1400 * .025 = $35) but let us know how much it ends up being, I'm curious.

+1 on the advice to just be honest, it's really not worth it to get caught lying to a CBP officer over a few bucks of duty especially if you are part of any of the Trusted Traveler programs. Failure to declare is grounds for immediate Nexus revocation.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 05:16 PM   #10
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m42stanle View Post
I'd guess less than $50 based on the tariff sched (CAD$2000 = ~USD$1400 * .025 = $35) but let us know how much it ends up being, I'm curious.

+1 on the advice to just be honest, it's really not worth it to get caught lying to a CBP officer over a few bucks of duty especially if you are part of any of the Trusted Traveler programs. Failure to declare is grounds for immediate Nexus revocation.
Right on! I am going to be just straight forward and pay them what they want. Thanks!