E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil Leak...AGAIN 2006 325i

09-19-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
Kev325i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93

Angry Oil Leak...AGAIN 2006 325i

So, a few months back, I changed my valve cover gasket which solved my problem for quite some time. Now, my oil leak is back. It certainly is no the valve cover gasket, it is dry as a bone. And, the oil is appearing at the top of the engine, so I dont think it is a pan gasket. Any ideas on what it could be? I have heard that the oil filter housing leaks at times?
Please help.....I am ready to trade it in for a 5 or 6 series

Many thanks,
Kevin
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

It could be burning the oil.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
who changed your oil last? Make sure when they changed your filter, the old rubber o-ring came off with the filter, very common that it gets stuck in the threaded area, then you put a new one on with the new o-ring and so now your doubled up on o-rings and it leaks, I bet this is the problem.
      09-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
Kev325i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93

Thanks for the replies....Oil was last changed when I bought it a few months back (by a Ford dealer...yeah, I know, isnt that great)! I will certainly check that oilfilter gasket! Thanks!

I am just trying to eliminate the issues....Its not the valve cover (dry as a bone...I did have a broken bolt, but changed the gasket and replaced that).
Its not the head gasket itself because the thing runs amazing. No loss of performance or knocking and no water in oil.

That just leaves it to a oil filter gasket or the oil filter housing gasket (since the oil is visible at the top, it cant be a pan)

Kevin
Appreciate 0