E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > What is the "best" FMIC - With data backing said claims?

10-07-2016, 05:29 AM   #1
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White ///M-Sport 335i

What is the "best" FMIC - With data backing said claims?

Criteria:
Best IAT reductions
Best consistency in IAT reductions
Least chance of heat-soaking over repeated runs
Most efficient design
Least negative effect on Turbo-Spool
Best overall package

There seems to be many people within scattered threads saying this and people claiming that, but where are the actual numbers for comparisons sake? Where's the ONE thread that pits all of the competition together and provides cold hard facts? Not merely conjecture.

Why is _____ FMIC better than the other? Why is _____ FMIC the best overall? Power goals should be irrelevant, as any setup, be it stock snails or upgraded can/will benefit from increased cooling.

So guys, where's the data? Who can prove such? Who can compare all relevant products in a nice and succinct manner?

Sincerely someone looking to upgrade their FMIC and wanting to make the best choice possible! I will be compiling all posted data within this post to help anyone and everyone.

WedgePerformance

For data purposes, please include the following:
Stock or Upgraded Turbos? If upgraded, please specify
FBO Components
Tuned? What tune
Fuel Used
PSI Target
Location, Temperature, Humidity, Time of day

Member: BeastMode335i
VRSF 7" - FBO 335i MHD Stg 2+ - SW Florida - 90 Deg. Day - IAT: 102 degrees peaking/stabilizing at 108 degrees
Log: http://www.datazap.me/u/beastmode335...0&data=4-16-24

Last edited by YouAreMyWorld; 10-07-2016 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 06:12 AM   #2
TrollToll
Banned
Rep
Drives: 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreMyWorld View Post
Criteria:
Best IAT reductions
Most efficient design
Best overall package

There seems to be many people within scattered threads saying this and people claiming that, but where are the actual numbers for comparisons sake? Where's the ONE thread that pits all of the competition together and provides cold hard facts? Not merely conjecture.

Why is _____ FMIC better than the other? Why is _____ FMIC the best overall? Power goals should be irrelevant, as any setup, be it stock snails or upgraded can/will benefit from increased cooling.

So guys, where's the data? Who can prove such? Who can compare all relevant products in a nice and succinct manner?

Sincerely someone looking to upgrade their FMIC and wanting to make the best choice possible!

WedgePerformance
Inb4 the shit show starts. Name:  Preview.jpg
Views: 6039
Size:  15.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 06:17 AM   #3
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere90 View Post
Inb4 the shit show starts. Attachment 1505402
You already know I'm prepared for what's about to go down.

I got everyone covered who might be needing these.

Last edited by YouAreMyWorld; 10-07-2016 at 06:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 07:34 AM   #4
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

We made a FMIC performance compilation thread, difference feuls and different temps

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1267986
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 07:40 AM   #5
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******** View Post
We made a FMIC performance compilation thread, difference feuls and different temps

No wonder I missed this.. it went dormant for a bit
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 08:26 AM   #6
quattr0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i DD, 991.2 weekend toy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreMyWorld
Quote:
Originally Posted by ******** View Post

No wonder I missed this.. it went dormant for a bit
I thought this one is helpful too.

https://goo.gl/GTvcdO
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 08:58 AM   #7
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Go back to the N55 sub-forum troll!!
Appreciate 2
Sgop335648.00
TrollToll654.00
      10-07-2016, 09:22 AM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Appreciate 1
BQTuning468.50
      10-07-2016, 11:50 AM   #9
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

the 7" from a one gear pull is great. Start doing 1/2 mile runs and it goes from 90 to 150f real quick.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 02:42 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

There is no best intercooler ... Depends on the mods, fuel and application

But even if we can agree on same mods and application, the only way to know for sure is by comparing all the intercoolers on the same car, same condition within the same period of time.

Until then best you can do is rely on manufacturer data and customer reviews (with logs)

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 03:39 PM   #11
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

I'd have to agree there is no 1 best.

Get an intercooler too big and you have greater pressure loss. Get one too small and it may heat soak too fast. Have one flow better and it can't cool the air fast enough. Have one slow down the air more and cool better but increase pressure loss.

People... INTERCOOLERS are always a happy medium for your setup.

The data needs to be controlled for your vehicle.

If you want people to recommend the intercooler they have on their car, that's what forums are for. Typically limited controlled data if any proof beyond that.

If you want to rely on the manufacturers findings and postings, take it with a grain of salt because the reality is data can be skewed. Doesn't mean the are lying but they aren't going to take their worst datalog and post it up.

Nobody has really posted unbiased, 3rd party, controlled data among several intercoolers. Most times if any it's against a stock intercooler, which we all know is a pile.

MOST intercoolers aftermarket are better then stock. I know there are some fanbois of the latest Ebay (no-name) intercoolers, to them I say, try something else before being sold on a product like that. It may be better then stock but you still might be missing out.

With so many intercooler threads now and everything else, I can see why an average joe can't get a straight answer. To be honest, it's pretty hard to pinpoint that 1 intercooler is the end all be all. That's like trying to pick 1 turbo to meet all requirements of excellent peak power, no lag and tons of low end power, you can't do it.

If you don't know, ask a trusted source., that's what I recommend.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 10-07-2016 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
TrollToll654.00
      10-07-2016, 04:41 PM   #12
RSL
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 (Retired) / 335is

Tuners unaffiliated with a retail product sellers are a good source. They see logs for all kinds of cars with all kinds of mods under all kinds of conditions. If any stand out as sucking or being great at any parameter (IAT suppression, flow, etc), they'll know it.

On that note, FMIC showed up today Jeff, thank you!
Appreciate 2
      10-07-2016, 04:57 PM   #13
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL View Post
Tuners unaffiliated with a retail product sellers are a good source. They see logs for all kinds of cars with all kinds of mods under all kinds of conditions. If any stand out as sucking or being great at any parameter (IAT suppression, flow, etc), they'll know it.

On that note, FMIC showed up today Jeff, thank you!
Great! Get some pics and data.

I agree an unbiased tuner should have some good data to give you an idea on direction as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 05:14 PM   #14
RSL
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 (Retired) / 335is

Pics done, logs will be coming comparing against Dinan FMIC on hybrids.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2016, 10:46 AM   #15
WedgePerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slot Machines.. Keep Taking $

Garage List
Quote:
Criteria:
Best IAT reductions
Most efficient design
Best overall package

Sincerely someone looking to upgrade their FMIC and wanting to make the best choice possible! I will be compiling all posted data within this post to help anyone and everyone.

WedgePerformance

For data purposes, please include the following:
Stock or Upgraded Turbos? If upgraded, please specify
FBO Components
Tuned? What tune
Fuel Used
PSI Target
Location, Temperature, Humidity, Time of day

Member: BeastMode335i
VRSF 7" - FBO 335i MHD Stg 2+ - SW Florida - 90 Deg. Day - IAT: 102 degrees peaking/stabilizing at 108 degrees
Log: http://www.datazap.me/u/beastmode335...0&data=4-16-24
Unfortunately I don't have a good answer for you. I ran the HPF 7", AMS 6", and the AD Engineering 7.5" Duel Core Step. The HPF 7" was a nice core, but very expensive. There are a few like it today, Mishimoto. You have options like the BIG TOM... I don't have any first hand, but low cost large area FMIC... VRSF has a decent low cost solution, but I personally don't like the quality and finish. If they would machine a C-Clip adapters and weld them to the inlets, their product quality would be more acceptable in my book. (Tiago... hint hint) The AMS core was good. Large inlet/outlet and comes with it's own up pipe. Decent product middle ground price and a good FMIC until you run half mile events and it heat soaks. I like the looks of the Wagner 5" step. After cutting one of my cars apart to put a really big FMIC in because I'm running a 6062 Gen2 single, I would highly recommend going to a 5" step that doesn't require cutting, that has c-clip connectors just because it's simple and utilizes the factory plastic to help force air through the FMIC. For the vast majority of people this would be the best solution. But don't rule out VRSF. It's a low cost solution that works. They also have a 5" step. Again, I would like to see a stock connector option just for simplicity.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 09:09 PM   #16
TEC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 355

Quote:
I've been wondering the same. The conclusion I have come up with is to mimic my old EVO setup and change the end tanks to fit. There was never any question about which intercoolers worked because a vendor gathered all he could get and tested them back to back. So in my mind the safest bet will be to go to something proven on another vehicle even if it means major modification. I refuse to spend money on something without data to back up the claims.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 09:29 PM   #17
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
If you're maxing out the stock turbos on an FBO setup, our HD 7" will be the best and most cost effective option. If you're going with an upgraded turbo setup and don't want o have to modify your chargepipe you're not going to find anything that's going to beat our new race 7.5" race FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 01:21 AM   #18
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
If you're maxing out the stock turbos on an FBO setup, our HD 7" will be the best and most cost effective option. If you're going with an upgraded turbo setup and don't want o have to modify your chargepipe you're not going to find anything that's going to beat our new race 7.5" race FMIC.
That's a bold claim Tiago, but I love it. At the same time however, this is boiling back down to why I made this thread in the first place. I want data, I want logs, I want comparisons.

I don't want people to misconstrue my intentions, or think that I'm trying to create a thread full of flaming/bashing upon other products. Outside of VRSF's price point, we're talking anywhere from $700-$1000 and that's a good bit of money to invest in anything. All I want is data, through multiple pulls, on both stock and upgraded snail turbos.

Talk can only take the product(s) in question so far, where are the actual number/logs for every product? Let the products do the talking.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 08:44 AM   #19
JTswole83
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

This is the best I've seen considering boost and ambient temps..

40psi
96* ambient temp
Custom Garrett 1000hp core
Tuned by Ken
Appreciate 1
quattr0153.00
      10-09-2016, 10:48 AM   #20
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTswole83 View Post

This is the best I've seen considering boost and ambient temps..

40psi
96* ambient temp
Custom Garrett 1000hp core
Tuned by Ken
What gear is that? Here's our 7.5" race FMIC. 3rd gear, 90 degree ambient temp running 35 psi @ 790whp. 104 to 100 degrees from start to finish.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 10:53 AM   #21
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
And on a longer 4th gear pull on the same customers car. 11 degree increase revving out to about 7200 rpms which seems to be higher than most.

We don't have 7" HD logs yet since the intercooler is fresh to the market but Mike@XPH is expected to receive his test unit shortly.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2016, 05:57 PM   #22
JTswole83
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
What gear is that? Here's our 7.5" race FMIC. 3rd gear, 90 degree ambient temp running 35 psi @ 790whp. 104 to 100 degrees from start to finish.

3-4th. Tell Josh to turn it up and test

Also, what does a full pull from 3-4th look like?
Appreciate 0