E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Need help with my 2010 iDrive

03-11-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
kaiser
Driving a 5-series and loving it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520d

Need help with my 2010 iDrive

I got my 2010 E91 a couple of weeks ago and I am really happy with but I have a few questions (I did post is elsewhere on the site but I got no responses):
  1. I connect my iPhone 4 via bluetooth but when I try and navigate to a contact on my phone it thinks the address is in the Netherlands. Is this due to the formatting of the addresses on the phone? They all say UK after them
  2. Would I be right in thinking that because my car was built in September of 2010 I do not have combox and therefore cannot use bluetooth audio or messages? I assume it would be obvious if it was there.
  3. I thought I could store tracks from a CD on the car, is this not correct?
  4. I think I have voice control but it seems to act in an odd way. When I press the button on the steering wheel asks me to speak, I say 'telephone', it will (sometimes) say 'what number' I speak a number and it just does not recognise anything else I say except 'cancel', any idea why that would happen?
  5. Last question, if I uncheck 'daytime driving lights' in the lights setting the lights still stay on during the day, why?

Any guidance or help would be appreciated, thanks in advance

Kai
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 07:14 AM   #2
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Can't help with the iPhone q as I don't have one! Ifyou want to import CDs there is an option to do so, i have ripped a couple onto mine with no problem but just use an iPod through the USB port. You should have COMBOX it was from September build date IIRC. Regarding voice control, the commands are all in the manual, there are set words it responds to. Day time running lights is a safety.style thing, depends on what you like. Have mine checked as i think think the Xenons look good!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
greyt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 & iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
I got my 2010 E91 a couple of weeks ago and I am really happy with but I have a few questions (I did post is elsewhere on the site but I got no responses):
  1. I connect my iPhone 4 via bluetooth but when I try and navigate to a contact on my phone it thinks the address is in the Netherlands. Is this due to the formatting of the addresses on the phone? They all say UK after them
  2. Would I be right in thinking that because my car was built in September of 2010 I do not have combox and therefore cannot use bluetooth audio or messages? I assume it would be obvious if it was there.
  3. I thought I could store tracks from a CD on the car, is this not correct?
  4. I think I have voice control but it seems to act in an odd way. When I press the button on the steering wheel asks me to speak, I say 'telephone', it will (sometimes) say 'what number' I speak a number and it just does not recognise anything else I say except 'cancel', any idea why that would happen?
  5. Last question, if I uncheck 'daytime driving lights' in the lights setting the lights still stay on during the day, why?

Any guidance or help would be appreciated, thanks in advance

Kai
1) navigating to Norway - Yes I have the same problem, I have yet to find a way of making this usable.

2) I am not sure when bluetooth audio was added, but if by messages you mean SMS or email from the Iphone - then the Iphone does not support this anyway.

regarding voice recognition - go to settings and languge - check that the language is set to English. You should be able to say "Phone Book", and then the name of the person you want to call. For dialling a number I find it very accurate on voice recognition when saying a string of digits.....

Last edited by greyt; 03-12-2011 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
kaiser
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyt View Post
regarding voice recognition - go to settings and languge - check that the language is set to English. You should be able to say "Phone Book", and then the name of the person you want to call. For dialling a number I find it very accurate on voice recognition when saying a string of digits.....
When I say phone book it says phone book empty, surely it should default to my iPhone phone book?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
kaiser
United Kingdom
Rep

For reference the first registration date of my car was 30 Sept 2010, does that shed any light on whether the car should have combox?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

Not all phones are 100% compatible via Bluetooth - those that are not, you can't access the phone book in the phone, but can still make and receive calls. You can get a firmware update which may solve it but the dealer will charge you.

The voice commands are ok - but you have to say the right thing. To dial a number for example you must say 'dial number' the car will then ask you for the number. There are 2 settings for the voice commands long commands or short (I forget the precise name). The short system is much quicker but relies on you knowing exactly what to say. Commands are in the handbook or just say 'help'.

You can download CDs into the hard drive or even put a whole music collection onto a USB stick and download it into the HD via the USB port in the glove box (not the one in the arm rest if you specced one), following the instructions on the display (or read the handbook).

You will probably find the inability to deactivate the daytime running lights is due to the fact that they are about to become mandatory on all new cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
kaiser
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falmouthboy View Post
Not all phones are 100% compatible via Bluetooth - those that are not, you can't access the phone book in the phone, but can still make and receive calls. You can get a firmware update which may solve it but the dealer will charge you.

The voice commands are ok - but you have to say the right thing. To dial a number for example you must say 'dial number' the car will then ask you for the number. There are 2 settings for the voice commands long commands or short (I forget the precise name). The short system is much quicker but relies on you knowing exactly what to say. Commands are in the handbook or just say 'help'.

You can download CDs into the hard drive or even put a whole music collection onto a USB stick and download it into the HD via the USB port in the glove box (not the one in the arm rest if you specced one), following the instructions on the display (or read the handbook).

You will probably find the inability to deactivate the daytime running lights is due to the fact that they are about to become mandatory on all new cars.
Thanks for this. I spoke to customer support today and it would seem that you need professional nav to store CDs and I have business.

They did say I could copy my contacts and routes from a usb to the iDrive. I have put the route and a vcard on a USB drive but nothing happens, I think I am going to make a trip to the dealer.
Appreciate 0