E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Root cause for SES light (Injector(s), DDE, carbon build up)

05-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Exclamation Root cause for SES light (Injector(s), DDE, carbon build up)

Got the car back after 2+ months today.

Chain of events: Each ">" represents a separate dealership visit

SES LIGHT, REPLACE INJECTOR > SES LIGHT, REPLACE INJECTOR, REPROGRAM DDE > SES LIGHT REPLACE DDE > SES LIGHT, REPROGRAM DDE, REPLACE INJECTOR, REPLACE HPFP > SES LIGHT,REPLACE ENGINE HARNESS > SES LIGHT, CLEAN CYLINDER HEAD OF CARBON BUILD UP, SES LIGHT, REPLACE 6 INJECTORS, SES LIGHT, REPLACE DDE, issue resolved

To make a long story short, it was the DDE causing the SES light for "Zero Volume Adaptation".
What caused the DDE to fail? According to BMW Engineering, faulty Engine Harness was to blame for the DDE electronic failure.
If you see the pattern of the visits, DDE was replaced once before the Engine Harness replacement, however, that new DDE was also damaged by a short circuit due to the engine harness after 1000 miles or so, causing it to fail.

Now that everything is in place, lets see how it goes. 300+ miles and no issues. The car is driving like it should.

So if it is the ENGINE HARNESS causing the DDE failures, shouldn't there be a Technical Service Bulletin from BMW? Is the harness also causing other part(s) to fail?

As you can see, the dealer had to keep throwing parts at the car as per BMW Engineering to finally get to the bottom of this.

Regarding the build up in the intake, intake valves, and cylinder head: This is a result of the electronic EGR functionality. Is there a way around it? Only way would be to "tune it out". The stock setting for the AIR to EGR ratio needs to be modified.
BMW did redesign and reprogram the EGR operation, however there isn't any data yet available if this solved the excessive soot/tar build up.

It's been a long journey for me (5 months) to get this 335D back in my hands fixed. Hopefully this never happens again to me, and if it is happening to you, hopefully I have shed some light on this issue.

I have had BMW loaner cars for this entire experience.
Attached Images

Last edited by 135i_vs_; 05-09-2013 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Thanks for sharing this. Hope your car stays healthy for a long time now.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
Untdrums
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 440i GC, '15 i3 REX

Thank you so much for your report. It will be helpful for all of us! Good luck and we hope that you don't have any future mishaps.
2015 EB M235i Euro Delivery 11/26/2014 *lease return
2014 MG X1 sDrive 28i MSport *lease return
2011 BS 335d *sold
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Thank you! hopefully your car will be fine from now on!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

I do not know what would have been the cost out of warranty but I imagine it is very high.

Out of warranty, will we have to replace parts over parts until it solve the problem? Here in Atlanta, I do not need an annual inspection to make sure my check engine light is not ON. Maybe I can live with the check engine light ON, put black tape over it and ignore it.

On my car the DDE was not replaced but erased and reflash to fix the problem. Over the course of its life, my 2010 335d DDE has been reflashed few times. I do not think there is any thing wrong with the engine but I think the software bugs are not totally ironed out of this North American version (i.e. pollution control).

As I mentioned in a previous post, I had a limp mode with my car after the new software was loaded but no check engine light. I also experienced recently the same rough idle as before but no SES light. I went check for codes and I found the same code as before except that now they are pending codes (fault need to repeat x times to trigger SES light).
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 06:17 AM   #6
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep

So far over a month and 2k+ miles, The car is running perfect.

I'm enjoying the power, mpg, and the diesel grunt every morning to work, mixed city/highway with over 30.X mpg+

On the highway set at cruise control 75mph, the car does over 39.2 mpg.

No regrets with the 335d.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 06:50 AM   #7
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_ View Post
So far over a month and 2k+ miles, The car is running perfect.

I'm enjoying the power, mpg, and the diesel grunt every morning to work, mixed city/highway with over 30.X mpg+

On the highway set at cruise control 75mph, the car does over 39.2 mpg.

No regrets with the 335d.
Nice!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #8
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

its mind boggoling to see that the SA was told!! to do some other checks and FAILED when in FACT the knew there was a major problem!1 WTF BMWoA just go to the point and fix the god damn thing!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Drilled out broken studs on DPF filter? Well, that is one repair I am not looking forward to.

Thanks for posting all those receipt copies, I didnt see an Engine Harness when I looked through them. Do you have a P/N for the engine harness?
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #10
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
Drilled out broken studs on DPF filter? Well, that is one repair I am not looking forward to.

Thanks for posting all those receipt copies, I didnt see an Engine Harness when I looked through them. Do you have a P/N for the engine harness?
Wonder if both are caused by salt in the winter causing rust??

PL
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #11
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_ View Post
Got the car back after 2+ months today.

Chain of events: Each ">" represents a separate dealership visit

SES LIGHT, REPLACE INJECTOR > SES LIGHT, REPLACE INJECTOR, REPROGRAM DDE > SES LIGHT REPLACE DDE > SES LIGHT, REPROGRAM DDE, REPLACE INJECTOR, REPLACE HPFP > SES LIGHT,REPLACE ENGINE HARNESS > SES LIGHT, CLEAN CYLINDER HEAD OF CARBON BUILD UP, SES LIGHT, REPLACE 6 INJECTORS, SES LIGHT, REPLACE DDE, issue resolved

To make a long story short, it was the DDE causing the SES light for "Zero Volume Adaptation".
What caused the DDE to fail? According to BMW Engineering, faulty Engine Harness was to blame for the DDE electronic failure.
If you see the pattern of the visits, DDE was replaced once before the Engine Harness replacement, however, that new DDE was also damaged by a short circuit due to the engine harness after 1000 miles or so, causing it to fail.

Now that everything is in place, lets see how it goes. 300+ miles and no issues. The car is driving like it should.

So if it is the ENGINE HARNESS causing the DDE failures, shouldn't there be a Technical Service Bulletin from BMW? Is the harness also causing other part(s) to fail?

As you can see, the dealer had to keep throwing parts at the car as per BMW Engineering to finally get to the bottom of this.

Regarding the build up in the intake, intake valves, and cylinder head: This is a result of the electronic EGR functionality. Is there a way around it? Only way would be to "tune it out". The stock setting for the AIR to EGR ratio needs to be modified.
BMW did redesign and reprogram the EGR operation, however there isn't any data yet available if this solved the excessive soot/tar build up.

It's been a long journey for me (5 months) to get this 335D back in my hands fixed. Hopefully this never happens again to me, and if it is happening to you, hopefully I have shed some light on this issue.

I have had BMW loaner cars for this entire experience.
I've tried to research the carbon buildup issue and found this article in edmunds AutoObserver: Direct Injection Fouls Some Early Adopters

Apparently gassers which have similar issues theoretically can have less carbon buildup if the electronic controls of the fuel and valves are specifically controlled not to expose the valves and bits to the soot and fuel in direct injected engines:
Quote:
Stephen Russ, technical leader for combustion for Ford’s 2-liter Duratec DI engine, said that similar to GM, engineers have determined the proper injection-timing calibration to help eliminate the carbon deposits. But Russ also said the technology of injection components – particularly the high-pressure solenoid injectors – has quickly matured, meaning excess valve deposits in most DI engines should become a thing of the past as these improved components are incorporated into production.

Tony Chick, principal engineer at European Performance Labs in Stratford, Connecticut, has made a career of repairing and rebuilding high-performance engines from Audi, Porsche AG and BMW, among others and his operation has garnered a reputation among car enthusiasts as a go-to place for cleaning DI engines that have become choked with carbon. Chick thinks the problem for most affected engines can be traced to the breathing system – specifically, the design of its crankcase ventilation and exhaust-gas recirculation components.

All modern gasoline engines return some crankcase and exhaust gases back through the intake manifold in order to help control emissions, but, according to Chick, some exhaust-gas recirculation designs are “dirtier" than others. Some, he said, are less-effective at preventing the passage of tiny bits of oil, carbon and other particulates that eventually get baked onto the intake ports and valves.
The part about EGR is shared with DI diesel engines, so more exact control of timing and recirculated exhaust gas composition may be where BMW's "fix" with its latest DDE/EGR programming updates is aimed.

PL
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
The engine harness receipt is on another post of mine,
Somewhere on this forum.

I'm not worried about carbon build up issues occuring again. BMW should have gotten it right the 2nd time around with the EGR Recall.
Appreciate 0