E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > vibration when braking?

11-12-2012, 02:23 AM   #1
Hunter51092
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
vibration when braking?

hi guys, i rarely give my 328i some throttle and today i did, and when i was braking a BIT more than usual my pedal vibrated 2 different times and after the second my car is kind of limping? when switching gears (AT). ? i tried resetting the "maps" that come factory with the gas pedal thing of holding for 25 secs while engine is off and not much of a difference..and i have done the reset before and worked like a charm but never had the vibration when braking harder than what i did today

No warranty, and is it something that will go away? something i should be worried about?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 04:56 AM   #2
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Sure its not ABS kicking in ? If you feel like pulses in the pedal, its normal ABS operating. You should not drive that fast if you don't know that

If you have steering wheel vibrations, it can come from over torqued lug bolts, a bent rim, or suspension problems (then go get an alignment at BMW, they will tell you about it).
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
Sure its not ABS kicking in ? If you feel like pulses in the pedal, its normal ABS operating. You should not drive that fast if you don't know that

If you have steering wheel vibrations, it can come from over torqued lug bolts, a bent rim, or suspension problems (then go get an alignment at BMW, they will tell you about it).
I actually didn't know it could be from over torqued lug bolts.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
I actually didn't know it could be from over torqued lug bolts.
That can cause the rotor to warp which will result in vibration (and a steering wheel shimmy if on the front) when braking.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
That can cause the rotor to warp which will result in vibration (and a steering wheel shimmy if on the front) when braking.

Tom
Can it be overtightend by hand? And if so will it go back if I tighten it to spec? I get a slight vibration or thump starting around 80. Its barely noticeable so I usually forget when driving long distances. Maybe it's road irregularities? I don't really feel it in the steering so maybe its from the back or maybe its just the sound from the tires?....now im confusing myself lol
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
Hunter51092
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
i was going about 50-60 and braked hard and only my brake pedal vibrates? i changed my abs pump..hasn't been programed to the car but changed it so i doubt it is that? if the suspension is a possibility it could be that as my car sounds more sensitive when i hit little bumps on the street
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep

Quote:
I get a slight vibration or thump starting around 80. Its barely noticeable so I usually forget when driving long distances.
If it is not related to braking, its probably the tires getting old, or you lost one of your balancing weight in the wheel and it vibrates at speed. As long as it doesn't bother you its fine, just get a look at your tires to check if they are still withing spec.

Could also be a bearing, but its less probable and you'll know conclusively when it will make a strong woo-woo noise.

Quote:
i was going about 50-60 and braked hard and only my brake pedal vibrates?
Sounds like normal ABS behavior. You braked harder than the grip allowed and ABS made a clean stop for you.

I strongly advice that you get used to the maximum brake capacity of your car in a controlled environment, accounting for a variety of weather, and train yourself at proper braking technique before trying to drive hard on open roads.

Now, if you are an experienced driver, and you think that your braking shouldn't have triggered ABS, there are a variety of suspension condition that can make handling so bad that ABS kick in very early. If you think so, have your suspension system (tires, shocks, springs etc) inspected. Also remember that summer tires have little grip in cold weather, that can lead to surprisingly bad handling.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If it is not related to braking, its probably the tires getting old, or you lost one of your balancing weight in the wheel and it vibrates at speed. As long as it doesn't bother you its fine, just get a look at your tires to check if they are still withing spec.

Could also be a bearing, but its less probable and you'll know conclusively when it will make a strong woo-woo noise.

Sounds like normal ABS behavior. You braked harder than the grip allowed and ABS made a clean stop for you.

I strongly advice that you get used to the maximum brake capacity of your car in a controlled environment, accounting for a variety of weather, and train yourself at proper braking technique before trying to drive hard on open roads.

Now, if you are an experienced driver, and you think that your braking shouldn't have triggered ABS, there are a variety of suspension condition that can make handling so bad that ABS kick in very early. If you think so, have your suspension system (tires, shocks, springs etc) inspected. Also remember that summer tires have little grip in cold weather, that can lead to surprisingly bad handling.
Thanks I got the tires this year and still have plenty of tread on them. It could possibly be the balancing because the weights are glued on the inside of the wheel not clipped on the lip
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #9
TheeGovernor
Life is better with burnouts
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Don't forget about warped rotors
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #10
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

If the vibrations are only present during braking, and it suddenly manifested itself during one or two brisk stops, then I would look into disc glazing. From the sounds of it, your car had been gently driven, and when brakes dont get hot enough they tend to accumulate brake residues.

Perhaps a few hard stops got your brakes hot enough to begin releasing some of the residue, but left some uneven deposits.

I would personally go find a deserted wide open road and complete a brake bed in procedure. Google or search the site. It is not a difficult process, but will require good driver judgement because higher speeds and hard accel/braking will be involved.

But then, I could be something completely different. it can be pretty hard to troubleshoot over the Internet!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Can it be overtightend by hand? And if so will it go back if I tighten it to spec? I get a slight vibration or thump starting around 80. Its barely noticeable so I usually forget when driving long distances. Maybe it's road irregularities? I don't really feel it in the steering so maybe its from the back or maybe its just the sound from the tires?....now im confusing myself lol
If the vibration occurs when braking, then warped rotors could be the cause -but re-torqueing will not un-warp them.

But if it is simply a vibration at 60~80 mph, then wheel balancing is a likely culprit.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
Hunter51092
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:

yeah it was unusual im pretty sure its my suspension i will take it easy now no horse playing till i get it replaced! could also be summer tires lol but this was very helpful and so was everyone else with their inputs thank you all so much! my car has stopped limping, no vibrating when braking, havent tried slamming on it, but its running good at least!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #13
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carless

most likely warped rotors
common problem.
or could be bad tires...rims..
      11-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Sounds like warped rotors or rotors that are about to warp.
      11-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #15
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

My rear rotors warped at around 25000 miles. It was noticeable as a vibration felt primarily in the steering wheel when braking from about 50mph or faster, especially down hills. Toward the time my appointment with dealership was coming up, the entire car would sometimes feel like it was shuddering. Replaced for free under warranty.

I found it rather odd the rears would warp before the fronts.
      11-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #16
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
Could also be that, or the milder sibling of uneven pad deposit. But my experience is that warped/glazed rotors provoke steering shudder rather than pedal feedback. Try Avocet advice anyway, it cost nothing.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #17
Hunter51092
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Probably my rear rotors? will look into that as i last did the front a couple months ago rears should be due as well! thanks again guys all of you!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #18
jeveryday
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumere90 View Post
most likely warped rotors
common problem.
or could be bad tires...rims..
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 01:38 AM   #19
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Control arms or on an e90 the pieces that substitute for control arms could be worn.
The bushings wear and that allows the wheels to shift rearward under braking load.
e30, e36 AND e46 cars have this issues.

I'd look to worn suspension components.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #20
Kelvin14
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda Civic

Appears to be your rotors are warped. The brake rotors are bad and either need modified or changed, when you do this you need to also put on new brake pads.

Read about 4x4 vehicles breaking system

Last edited by Kelvin14; 09-16-2014 at 04:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #21
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
If the vibration occurs when braking, then warped rotors could be the cause -but re-torqueing will not un-warp them.

But if it is simply a vibration at 60~80 mph, then wheel balancing is a likely culprit.

Tom
I agree with Tom. Pretty basic I think.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #22
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
Control arms or on an e90 the pieces that substitute for control arms could be worn.
The bushings wear and that allows the wheels to shift rearward under braking load.
e30, e36 AND e46 cars have this issues.

I'd look to worn suspension components.
Surprised no one else mentioned suspension components. It could potentially be control arm or steering bushings. When those things are worn you will get some feedback in the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0