E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Rain sensor & light sensor

05-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
Mr.Rnow
*_*809*_*
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW E9x

Rain sensor & light sensor

My rain sensor when crazy if i turn on my automatic wiper they start wiping air cause there is no rain....lol

And they lights wont turn off automatic when sun is out whats the problem?????
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #2
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktav0360 View Post
My rain sensor when crazy if i turn on my automatic wiper they start wiping air cause there is no rain....lol

Problem sensor yes they issue have but go they do Ensure sensor they when dark.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
Mr.Rnow
*_*809*_*
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3000fl
Quote:

Problem sensor yes they issue have but go they do Ensure sensor they when dark.
Do you know how much it cost to fix this?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

When you press the A button, the wipers will wipe once no matter what. If it keeps wiping after that when there is no rain then there is a sensor problem.

For the headlights, how bright is it and how long is it in the sunlight before it turns off? Or does it never turn off in the sun? Make sure the switch is on A. And make sure you're not confusing DRLs with headlights. If you have DRLs turned on, they will be on whenever the main headlights are off.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
Viktimize
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2002 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
When you press the A button, the wipers will wipe once no matter what. If it keeps wiping after that when there is no rain then there is a sensor problem.

OR you have too much bugs on the windshield over the sensor, or it's just too dirty. First things first, do what's easy and cheap, clean the windshield where the sensor is. The sensor just send out light and looks for distortion, that causes the wipers to go. A lot of things can cause light distortion other than rain.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
Mr.Rnow
*_*809*_*
No_Country
Rep

Never turns off and they wiper at first they did wipe once and now no they keep wiping...

My drl are off the low beam are on always never turn of unless i turn the car off of course or the switch to 0 rather that ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post

For the headlights, how bright is it and how long is it in the sunlight before it turns off? Or does it never turn off in the sun? Make sure the switch is on A. And make sure you're not confusing DRLs with headlights. If you have DRLs turned on, they will be on whenever the main headlights are off.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

That damn rain sensor is useless, along with the useless speed rotator dial- which does absolute jack shit.
It's almost as bad as that stupid seatbelt Butler :
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 02:31 AM   #8
SharkBait
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Never turns off and they wiper at first they did wipe once and now no they keep wiping...

My drl are off the low beam are on always never turn of unless i turn the car off of course or the switch to 0 rather that ON
What the are you speak huh is the confusing language much.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 02:56 AM   #9
w2830
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
That damn rain sensor is useless, along with the useless speed rotator dial- which does absolute jack shit.
It's almost as bad as that stupid seatbelt Butler :

If you know how to code the car.you can turn the wiper into manual mode with four speed settings. I know which code it is if anyone interested.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
simonsingh
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 640d

When did you change your wipers last? Apparently according the handbook they should be changed every 6 months, and cold weather can reduce their functionality.

I always notice that when I change my blades that the rain sensor works perfectly!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #11
Mr.Rnow
*_*809*_*
No_Country
Rep

I going to have a year with the car in august i have not change my wiper blades
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsingh View Post
When did you change your wipers last? Apparently according the handbook they should be changed every 6 months, and cold weather can reduce their functionality.

I always notice that when I change my blades that the rain sensor works perfectly!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #12
charmin
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M-Sport June 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by w2830 View Post
If you know how to code the car.you can turn the wiper into manual mode with four speed settings. I know which code it is if anyone interested.
Hi, yes I'd be interested in coding this, I use NCS and always looking for new codes...

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #13
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by w2830 View Post
I'm interested in these codes.

My windshield wiper system is absolutely screwed up: the intermittent adjustment dial absolutely has no effect. It only responds to vehicle speed. If stopped, the wipers rest; if moving, the wipers move at a constant rate, the speed of which is determined by how many "clicks" I push the lever up.

Now, my condensation sensor appears to have been tampered with by the previous owner as it is not enclosed in the plastic T-shaped device but instead was stuck to the windshield with some thick, rubbery adhesive which no longer works thus the sensor just hangs loosely inside the mirror trim shell.

I'm not sure if this sensor has anything to do with my wiper issues (I don't think so, if it only checks for "condensation" to prevent wiper operation when there is no actual rain), or if the sensor embedded in the windshield has failed.

Regardless, I have a crack in the windshield so it's getting replaced, along with a new condensation sensor. But just in case neither of those resolves the issue, I'd rather just switch to "manual" mode; don't really need the "rain sensing" feature here in SoCal...

Hence, the codes por favor!