E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Supporting mods *pictures*

01-18-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Too many to list

Supporting mods *pictures*

I havent been up to date with most of the forums latley, been busy with work ect.

I just havent had the urge to mess around with my car... I was very close to selling it for something else but, after thinking it over I decided to keep it and end up playing with it more.

So a couple days ago I dropped it off to my fabricators shop and told him to finish the supporting mods that were suppose to go in the car a few months ago but never had the time to do it.

Now before I get into the details, my car had the following products in it that most of you guys were familiar with.

-Custom FMIC (spearco core with custom end tanks)
-Custom side mounted Oil cooler (stock position)
-DP HFC
-exhaust
-Custom gauges
-coilovers
-Other crap I cant think of right now

But anyways.

I recently took my car to a track / autox event and noticed that my temps were still rising more than I would have liked after a hour and 1/2 of running it. So I decided to add another oil cooler.

This time mount it behind the dead space of my FMIC since there is a bit of space there.

The extra oil cooler is about 16 inches wide 5 inches high and about 3 inches deep.

They already did the testing on the lines and the oil pressure. Right now Im waiting for them to mount it in and finish the rest of the supporting mods.

Since my FMIC is a straight through design the oil cooler behind it should be nice and cooled when moving.

When not, the radiator fan should give it enough of a breeze when in idle.

Its a Setrab oil cooler with custom mounting brackets ect.

Ive really never liked the idea to mount the oil cooler inside the wheel well, it seemed like it never got an adequate amount of air through there even with the stock oil cooler duct.

With the one after market oil cooler I did have in the wheel well, I saw a vast improvement in oil temps. about 20 degrees on back to back hard short runs.

Again reason why Im adding another one is because Im starting to track the car and I would like the temps to be steady at 200-220F+ on hard laps on very hot days.

This should help on the track and in real life.

As for the other supporting mods, they are just very small things. Catch cans, meth injection, either cry o2 or nitrious (on intercooler, still deciding) and other small stuff...

But anyways, heres the pictures of the extra oil cooler in place. Sorry about the pictures they were taken with an iphone.

Oil cooler #1

Dead space behind my FMIC

Oil cooler #2 mounted

Ill post more once everything is finished on it and give my reviews.
Ferrari 575 SA, 458 Italia
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 09:25 PM   #2
mkiiieustyle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: mk3 vr6 jetta, soon to be 135i

damn...........
looks good man, quick question....... how are those KW Variants workin out for you, you said you are starting to track your car but how was the street ride and how do they handle on the track?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 09:31 PM   #3
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiiieustyle View Post
damn...........
looks good man, quick question....... how are those KW Variants workin out for you, you said you are starting to track your car but how was the street ride and how do they handle on the track?
Very well actually. Im not crazy track star. I suck at cornering, ive always been a drag racer. I just started to do the twistes for myself and to get over high speed sweepers ect.

But the KW's are very good. They reduced body roll amensly. As for ride comfort a bit more bumpier than stock, but nothing too drastic.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 09:33 PM   #4
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Interesting... on my last car there was no room on the side for an oil cooler so I also mounted it behind my massive FMIC and it ended up cooling just fine. Let us know if it makes a difference.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 09:36 PM   #5
mkiiieustyle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: mk3 vr6 jetta, soon to be 135i

cool i've alway's wondered if they were good or not, i have seen them advertised before but never actually found someone that would spend the money on a set. thanks for the info man.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 02:16 AM   #6
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Looking good Sherwin. Im surprised that the stock oil cooler didnt hold your temps down at the track. I dont think i went a tick past 260 when i tracked. Where'd you track at? I think we might be going to SOW in February if your interested.
      01-19-2008, 02:51 AM   #7
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
Mods look great! So who's down for Streets of Willow Feb 9/10 or ButtonWillow March 29/30?
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 02:57 AM   #8
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92phreak View Post
Mods look great! So who's down for Streets of Willow Feb 9/10 or ButtonWillow March 29/30?
      01-19-2008, 03:22 PM   #9
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

let us all know how that oil cooler is coming. Oh yeah, and did it cost you $2,000 to do like the Dinan unit? Spill the beans on the cost please. I can't install it since my helix intercooler takes up all that space, but I think there would be a lot of interested parties if that oil cooler keeps the temps down on the track. Tell your fabricator to start making more mounting brackets!
      01-19-2008, 03:29 PM   #10
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Also, do you have any pics of the oil catchcan you installed? I'm looking to install one asap but haven't seen any for sale. Was it easy to fabricate?
      01-19-2008, 05:31 PM   #11
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
cool i've alway's wondered if they were good or not, i have seen them advertised before but never actually found someone that would spend the money on a set. thanks for the info man.
subscribed
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 06:09 PM   #12
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

very impressive walked u!!!

there is currently quite a bit of debate about catch cans
and if they really make a performance or reliability difference.

it seems u have built your car with alot of thought (and money of course) behind it.

can u elaborate on your reasons for adding catch cans?

just so u know, i understand the general theory behind the cans,
but again there is alot of different takes on whether they are worth the effort.

maybe u know something or was told by your engine builder something
we do not know.

i have been on the fence with this mod for a while,
very interested in your catch can comments.

btw, is your possible Nitrious cooled IC your version of a cold air intake?
is it set to spray at a certain boost like intake injection?
how many noozles, and was the unit hard to install? great idea.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walked U View Post
Very well actually. Im not crazy track star. I suck at cornering, ive always been a drag racer. I just started to do the twistes for myself and to get over high speed sweepers ect.

But the KW's are very good. They reduced body roll amensly. As for ride comfort a bit more bumpier than stock, but nothing too drastic.

Last edited by midlife; 01-19-2008 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 08:42 PM   #13
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
Interesting... on my last car there was no room on the side for an oil cooler so I also mounted it behind my massive FMIC and it ended up cooling just fine. Let us know if it makes a difference.
Ya I think the cooling behind the intercooler should work fine. Since my intercooler is a straight through design the air flow shouldnt be obstructed from getting to the oil cooler.

Quote:
Dont worry about it. I would get them over springs hands down. I had bilstein shocks and H&R springs on my b6 s4 and I dont think ill do that again.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 08:44 PM   #14
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
Looking good Sherwin. Im surprised that the stock oil cooler didnt hold your temps down at the track. I dont think i went a tick past 260 when i tracked. Where'd you track at? I think we might be going to SOW in February if your interested.
My stock oil cooler never really held good temps before. When I changed it it helped alot on straight line runs on the freeway, but it seems like when I started to hard track the car it was getting a bit too high than I wanted it to.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #15
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata

Walked U.. You sound like you have a local shop helping you out. Did they custom make your oil cooler setup, or did you get it somewhere? Ballpark cost?
      01-19-2008, 08:49 PM   #16
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk View Post
glad u made the decision to stick around. very nice pictures and mods. looks like you will be hanging with the new M3's on the track
Lol thanks.

Probably need LSD lol. Im pretty content to beat it at a straight line since theres not much real world twisties around my area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
let us all know how that oil cooler is coming. Oh yeah, and did it cost you $2,000 to do like the Dinan unit? Spill the beans on the cost please. I can't install it since my helix intercooler takes up all that space, but I think there would be a lot of interested parties if that oil cooler keeps the temps down on the track. Tell your fabricator to start making more mounting brackets!

Ya I will, im in big bear right now enjoying the snow. But on monday I should have an update on my car with more pictures and more post.

The oil cooler isnt 2k.

It was about a few hundred dollars for the oil cooler core itself.

If you wanted to do your own oil cooler upgrade you could just replace the stock one with an aftermarket one. You would need someone to make custom brackets most likey. Also you would have to test the lines to make sure if you could either use your stock ones or you would have to use aftermarket ones.

Also check your oil pressure to make sure that everything is normal.

Im sure if theres more people interested in it I can tell him to make brackets. Shouldnt be too hard for any shop to make.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 08:59 PM   #17
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walked U View Post
Lol thanks.

Probably need LSD lol. Im pretty content to beat it at a straight line since theres not much real world twisties around my area.

Ya I will, im in big bear right now enjoying the snow. But on monday I should have an update on my car with more pictures and more post.

The oil cooler isnt 2k.

It was about a few hundred dollars for the oil cooler core itself.

If you wanted to do your own oil cooler upgrade you could just replace the stock one with an aftermarket one. You would need someone to make custom brackets most likey. Also you would have to test the lines to make sure if you could either use your stock ones or you would have to use aftermarket ones.

Also check your oil pressure to make sure that everything is normal.

Im sure if theres more people interested in it I can tell him to make brackets. Shouldnt be too hard for any shop to make.
good info thanks! Enjoy the snow
      01-19-2008, 09:04 PM   #18
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Also, do you have any pics of the oil catchcan you installed? I'm looking to install one asap but haven't seen any for sale. Was it easy to fabricate?
Using a generic catch can. Any will do you just have to find out where to tap the lines at.

The car has a type of oil catch can (cyclone seperators) that recirculates the oil but it seems that they are still not doing the job well enough.

Ive been talking to Chris B and me him and my fabricator have been breaking down the engine diagrams to see where we can mount the catch cans for the best possible use out of the products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
very impressive walked u!!!

there is currently quite a bit of debate about catch cans
and if they really make a performance or reliability difference.

it seems u have built your car with alot of thought (and money of course) behind it.

can u elaborate on your reasons for adding catch cans?

just so u know, i understand the general theory behind the cans,
but again there is alot of different takes on whether they are worth the effort.

maybe u know something or was told by your engine builder something
we do not know.

i have been on the fence with this mod for a while,
very interested in your catch can comments.

btw, is your possible Nitrious cooled IC your version of a cold air intake?
is it set to spray at a certain boost like intake injection?
how many noozles, and was the unit hard to install? great idea.

thanks
My car has not seen oil in the DV lines or intercooler piping yet.

Reason why im installing it is so that when that time comes I dont have to deal with it. I like to build my cars first before I go crazy with turbo upgrades ect.

Ive been already told by 5 good friends of mine which are techs and 1 master tech for bmw that theyve been encountering oil in the recirculating lines of the DV hoses and the intercooler piping.

So im just doing it now so I dont have to deal with it later. I dont feel like dealing with sludge build up in those places. Esp I hate lowering my octane rating also.

N20 or cry 02 I was thikning of using on my intercooler a while ago but just to super chill the FMIC.

I was leaning toward N20 more than cry02. I never liked the idea of spraying nitrogen. But reason why im doing it is since I have an 1 oil cooler behind my intercooler I can cool down 2 things with 1 spray bar.

You can have it set up so when you hit WOT it will begin to spray. But I will most likey just have it as an arming button then a spray button.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 09:09 PM   #19
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDomer View Post
Walked U.. You sound like you have a local shop helping you out. Did they custom make your oil cooler setup, or did you get it somewhere? Ballpark cost?
Shop.

Custom brackets, custom lines, generic oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 09:09 PM   #20
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
good info thanks! Enjoy the snow
Thanks a lot
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 10:43 PM   #21
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 67 Camaro SS

How is your meth system set up? Is it in your trunk or did you tap your windshield washer fluid for it? What PSI do you have it start spraying and what PSI do you have it stop? What brand/kit did you use?
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 01:39 PM   #22
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Dude, I'm VERY interested in your oil cooler upgrades. I'm reluctant to spend $2,000 on a Dinan setup but on track, my temps go absolutely apeshit even with a 6MT and a stock cooler.

In 90+ ambients, I'll hit 290oil within two laps.

Come to think of it, even in 45 degree weather, I still hit 265-270 EASILY. That is the major achilles of this car and needs to be fixed.
Appreciate 0