E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Question about AIO

10-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
ejj
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i

Question about AIO

I've never taken detailing my car seriously, so this is all new to me. Since my car is new, my plan is to wash, clay, AIO and SG as described in the sticky.

However, it isn't clear to me how AIO (which I haven't ordered yet) is supposed to be used. Is this is "by-hand" application, or is a PC the preferred way to apply and/or remove this product?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

I think applying AIO by hand with a white (color indicates firmness) sponge is fine. AIO claims to be a polish but I don't think it has any abrasives in it.

A PC may be faster and may provide more mechanical pressure from the pad but I'm not sure it makes much of a difference otherwise.

If you're trying to remove swirls you should use a real polishing product. For quick detailing and removing minor things like water spots AIO works fine.
      10-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
ejj
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
I think applying AIO by hand with a white (color indicates firmness) sponge is fine. AIO claims to be a polish but I don't think it has any abrasives in it.

A PC may be faster and may provide more mechanical pressure from the pad but I'm not sure it makes much of a difference otherwise.

If you're trying to remove swirls you should use a real polishing product. For quick detailing and removing minor things like water spots AIO works fine.
Since the car is new, I've noticed no swirls, which is why I think AIO is the way to go. That, with the clay bar and sealer should be a good start, no?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejj View Post
Since the car is new, I've noticed no swirls, which is why I think AIO is the way to go. That, with the clay bar and sealer should be a good start, no?
Even absolutely brand new cars are known to have swirls and defects hidden by the dealer. Don't get me wrong, you could be absolutely right about your car not having any swirls, but you might want to use a car shampoo, APC/degreaser or do an IPA wipedown that will strip anything the dealer might've used to conceal defects.
Appreciate 0