E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > BMW Dealer Reviews + Ratings Forum > BMW of Sterling

03-31-2006, 02:43 PM   #1
Libartsguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 1997 Audi A4

BMW of Sterling

Want to relay my experience with BMW of Sterling (Virginia)
Got a great deal from them on a new 325xi.

In late January, I sent emails to most of the dealerships in the Washington/Baltimore area. I gave everybody my specs (Sonora metallic 325xi with manual transmission, sport package, Terra leather, and fold-down rear seats). In the email, I itemized the dealer invoice price for my desired configuration; specified the amount I was looking to pay, including all dealer processing/prep, etc. charges; and asked them to give me their best possible price, adding in tax and destination charges ($695) for a total "out-the-door" price.

I got three responses within 24 hours (sent out email on Wednesday [01/25/06])-- from Sterling, Tischer, and BMW of Fairfax. Sterling's offer was lowest, with a total price, including Virginia sales tax (3 percent) of $36,172, which is approximately $2,200 less than would have been the case if I'd paid MSRP.

On 01/28/06, I called Sterling to confirm the price, then drove over (rather speedily) to close the deal. The process took a while (very busy place) but went smoothly. I advised them that I planned to pay cash and had no trade-in. They didn't blink an eye and didn't even attempt to get me to use BMW NA for financing. The rep. (Mahdi Boulerian) simply filled out an order form, had me verify the specs, then wrote out (in long-hand) a statement at the bottom of the form that the vehicle was being ordered per customer request/specs and that the "out-the-door "price was $36,172. He signed and dated the form and had me sign and date. I then made a deposit of $1,800 using my credit card. That was it.

I got lucky in that there was an "opening" in the production system. As a result, I was able to take delivery of my new toy on 03/15/06 -- exactly 6 weeks after I ordered it. When the sales rep. called me to tell me that the car had arrived, he asked me if I would consider financing thru BMW NA. I declined (politely), stating that the best bet for me was to pay cash. He didn't push the issue.

When I went to pick up the car, Mahdi introduced me to another guy who reviewed various options available thru the dealership (Stonegard-type protectant, windshield protectant, etc. -- all very pricey) to assess my interest in same. I indicated that these options weren't of interest and, again, there was no push -- all very professional and polite.

The final stop was the payment office, where I was presented by another gentlemen with info. on extended warranties. Again, there was no push, just a "we want you to be aware of available programs" approach. I filled out the usual forms related to mileage on delivered vehicle, title/tag stuff, etc; wrote a check for the balance due; and headed out to my car. The sales rep. (Mahdi) then explained the car's features/controls/systems in detail. He advised me that I would be contacted by BMW NA shortly to be surveyed on the quality, etc. of my purchase experience and asked me if I would give him/the dealership a "5" (highest score) on every question. I responded that I would (and subsequently did) and drove off to enjoy my new purchase.

In retrospect, there are five reasons why I was able to execute my new car transaction successfully:

1. I did my "homework" and determined ahead of time the exact configuration I wanted.

2. My first contact with dealers was via email (I made sure that each dealership knew that I'd sent requests for quotes to 5-6 other dealers).

3. I specified the dealer invoice price in my email and a price I was willing to pay (all the responses I got came in UNDER the price I was willing to pay).

4. I made my purchase in a competitive market (there are 10-plus dealerships in the Washington DC/Baltimore metro area).

5. I purchased my car at a high-volume dealership (I'm guessing that Sterling sells a couple of thousand cars a year)

The fact that I ordered a somewhat unusual configuration -- 325xi with manual transmission and a not-yet-popular color -- probably helped.

I hope this info. helps other folks in the market for an E90 -- particularly in the Baltimore, DC, NOVA area.

I would also suggest that you contact Mahdi Boulerian at BMW of Sterling. He was very low-key and professional.

Happy hunting!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2006, 02:45 PM   #2
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

I got my E46 at Sterling too. Great place that is.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2006, 02:48 PM   #3
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Congratulations!!! Sounds like you did well...did you opt for the tire/wheel warranty? Also, did you ever try Passport BMW??

Please post pics....love to see your Sonora/Terra combo...very rare, very individual

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2006, 07:11 PM   #4
Libartsguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 1997 Audi A4

Passport was one of the dealerships I emailed my request for quote. Got no response -- my message probably got lost in the shuffle.

Didn't go for the wheel/tire warranty. I've beenl investigating other alternatives (other insurance programs) but haven't found anything that seems like a good deal. May take a chance and hope that, if a get a puncture, it will be repairable.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2006, 07:22 PM   #5
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Mahdi was my sales rep. Did a great job with my order!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2006, 06:12 PM   #6
netwrkr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 B8 S4

I took delivery of my 330xi back in December. Mahdi was also my salesguy and an absolute pleasure to deal with! Props to Mahdi and BWM of Sterling for a fast, efficient and professional buying experience.

Tom
Appreciate 0