E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Up and over garage door removal

09-18-2012, 06:17 AM   #1
FRG
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 325d M Sport

Up and over garage door removal

Guys,

As the title suggests I am going to remove my garage door and replace with some wooden ones. Anyway, are they easy to do or are there parts under tension that may have my eye/s out when I take the door off?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #2
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRG View Post
Guys,

As the title suggests I am going to remove my garage door and replace with some wooden ones. Anyway, are they easy to do or are there parts under tension that may have my eye/s out when I take the door off?

Cheers
There's probably one or two big springs to either side of the door.
Best bet is to go into the garage and shut the door,then remove the springs.

As far as I know there should be nothing else that will present too much of a hazard,but it's difficult to say without some pics.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

If it has a large coil spring over the top of the door, you have to remove this under tension, as you can't get to it with the door open!

There will be holes in the end of the shaft that you can peg (a stout nail will do the job) to hold the spring in place. Then you release the cables, so you can move the door. Remove the door. Remove the spring assembly. Handle with care!!

If there are spings either side of the door, IIRC, these are removeable with the door open - this type of door won't immediately then come down on your head - it will wait a few minutes to catch you off guard, and THEN come down on your head.

Whatever the replacement - go electric!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
FRG
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks to both of you for the advice, I'll give it a good coat of looking at over the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwynMike View Post
Whatever the replacement - go electric!
Sadly there's no point as I can't even fit a classic mini in there (tried already, well, measured up) as the previous house owner decided to use a fair chunk of the garage for extra floor space in the house.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks to both of you for the advice, I'll give it a good coat of looking at over the weekend.

Sadly there's no point as I can't even fit a classic mini in there (tried already, well, measured up) as the previous house owner decided to use a fair chunk of the garage for extra floor space in the house.
a) Knock down the offending wall.

b) Get a motorbike (or two)
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
We paid a chap to remove ours from work, looked a piece of piss, just under each screw as you see it, plus the odd spring, should have done it myself really but couldn't be arsed!! I'd just crack on with it, don't think too hard, it's just common sense. Just consider it stress relief!!!
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
FRG
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwynMike
Quote:

a) Knock down the offending wall.

b) Get a motorbike (or two)
1) Defo wouldn't get a pass for that!

2) Tried that a few years ago, only an Enduro bike but I got sick of falling off while 'green laning'. Flat out at 75mph on the road was enough for me as well. And to be honest I'm too scared of falling off at speed to have a sports bike.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 02:59 AM   #8
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
1) Defo wouldn't get a pass for that!

2) Tried that a few years ago, only an Enduro bike but I got sick of falling off while 'green laning'. Flat out at 75mph on the road was enough for me as well. And to be honest I'm too scared of falling off at speed to have a sports bike.
I'm just back into biking after 20 years (I know, born-again biker!)
But I'm trying to be sensible, and I'm doing the green laning bit on a CRF250. As you say, a trudge on the road, but I just stick it on a trailer. Been at it for a year or so, and there has been lots of falling off. On a day out, we average about 100 miles, 90% of which will be off road. Just last month was the first time I'd been out that I hadn't actually fallen off the bike at some stage during the day. Thankfully no injuries yet, because I'm slow, but it's bloody good fun. Indeed, as one of our lot pointed out - what else can you do that is as good fun for a fiver's worth of petrol.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 05:31 AM   #9
FRG
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwynMike View Post
I'm just back into biking after 20 years (I know, born-again biker!)
But I'm trying to be sensible, and I'm doing the green laning bit on a CRF250. As you say, a trudge on the road, but I just stick it on a trailer. Been at it for a year or so, and there has been lots of falling off. On a day out, we average about 100 miles, 90% of which will be off road. Just last month was the first time I'd been out that I hadn't actually fallen off the bike at some stage during the day. Thankfully no injuries yet, because I'm slow, but it's bloody good fun. Indeed, as one of our lot pointed out - what else can you do that is as good fun for a fiver's worth of petrol.

Mike
I had a WR250F but always wanted a CRF250, they're not as easy to ge hold of though and were more money than the WR at the time, not sure now, haven't looked plus the WR was on a 2 year drip from the local Yamaha dealer. Quite a few of my mates still go out regularly around the peak district but they do a weekend in Wales once a year which I'd like to try if I ever get another. The breaking point for me was falling off on ice and badly spraining my wrist, I'm a contractor so time off work is not welcomed. I went back out one last time, did quite a hard run which involved climbing some f**king big rock steps after a fairly wide river crossing, I made it to the top totally exhausted, ripped my helmet off and threw my guts up. That was the final nail in the coffin for sure!

When you're enjoying it though, which I did 75% of the time, it is bloody good fun for a fiver!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #10
Mauryk
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Xdrive

Garage List
Some doors have a large coil spring across the top front of the door that twists to provide lifting support. If yours is this type, be EXTREMELY careful removing it. It is set to very high tension, and requires using a pair of metal rods to unwind. Not hard to do if you have seen it done and know how. Experimenting on your own with removal techniques could be very dangerous.

Hooray for youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX9LN1FfWMw
2010 E90 335i Xdrive| Titanium Silver Metallic | Black Leather | Premium, Sport, Nav, Cold | Steptronic | matte black grilles | Cyba scoops | pinstripes | Rear Fog Mod | Clear Reflectors | WeissLicht AE |More to come...|
Appreciate 0