Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Dented My F^$&#@* Rim

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-21-2007, 11:24 PM   #1
BigO1120
3rd Degree
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Montego Blue 328xi

Dented My F^$&#@* Rim

I was on Rt. 80 heading home from doing a little X-mas shopping at the mall when all of a sudden this F#$%^&* GRAND CANYON sized pot hole comes out of no where and I end up riding right into it at 80 mph. What happens next...I feel the car shaking and the steering wheel vibrating. I get home, take out the jack, jack her up, take the front wheel off and notice that the rim is dented. I haven't even removed the rear tire yet...I'll do this tomorrow but now I'm so PI$$ED! I hate NJ roads...they are the worst!!!

I have RFTs and now I'm asking everyone what I should do. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 11:42 PM   #2
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

what wheels? Stock......aftermarket.........you need to be more specific buddy.

If they're stock, then oh well man, as shitty as it is.......you have to get a new one (i dont trust "wheel repairs"). And dont try to get it covered under your warranty because NO ONE covers damage that happens as a result of normal usage.......its not BMW's fault for you hitting a pot hole so its not going to be covered.

If its an after market wheel with a lip.......then I would just send it back to the company and have them take it appart and add the center to a new barrel and lip (going to cost a lot though : / )

That really sucks though dude!! Wow, I'd be furious, what are you going to do in the mean time man. You've got to find some spares !

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 11:57 PM   #3
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

If you have wheel and tire insurance, they'll cover it.

If you bought the wheel & tire insurance, they will cover it. I bought this since these freakin tires are so expensive as bad as they are. Also, I bought a set of 4 dedicated winter Blizzaks and they are non rft. They stand up much better to crappy roads. But What he needs to do is go to a tire shop like discount tire or tire marhent and see what they say. Not BMW under any circumstance unless you want to bend over for them. Sometimes it is very easily fixed, sometimes not. Under no circumstance should you screw around or cheap out on wheel, tires or brakes because they make the most difference if you get into an accident or not. They are a safety issue.
      12-22-2007, 12:04 AM   #4
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

i always tell people who want cheap tires that, all your power, your performance, your modifications, your time and effort, your love and care, your friends and family, your groceries, your everything......................all comes down to 4 little patches of rubber that meet the road........your tires are like your car's spokes person to the road, your car's representative. Dont skimp out on tires.

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 07:18 AM   #5
seven_227
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: AW e92 335i

1- Take it to the dealer and ask for a check up, make sure they check the whole undercarriage, suspension, rims' balance for any damage.

2- If all is fine, and I think it will be, except that you may have bent your rims, if not and they're only dents then your a lucky man. It depends on what size of rims you got, the larger they are the easier they get bent.

3- If the rims are bent continue reading if not skip to step [4]. Now you either have a choice of buying two new front and rear OEM wheels, or get 4 aftermarket wheels for the same price, it's up to you. If they are slightly bent you can keep them but your gonna feel slight vibrations at high speeds, even after an alignment.

4- After which ever you chose to go with in step [3], ask the dealer to do a wheel alignment and tire balance, and I only recommend you to do it at a certified BMW dealer, although it's going to be more $$$, you know they'll get it right the first time.

Good luck.
      12-22-2007, 08:11 AM   #6
Doc E
Surf Caster Extraordinaire
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '13 ISF

if your warranty doesnt cover it, Wheel Collision in Bath, PA is great.
I send my BBS wheels all the time and they guarantee OEM BMW finish too.
      12-22-2007, 10:56 AM   #7
BigO1120
3rd Degree
United_States
Rep

Sorry for not being so specific about the tires that I have. I was just really upset last night because of that stupid pot hole. The funny thing is that I drove on that highway the day before and that pot hole was not there. I'm running on Turanza EL42s and they're wrapping around the Style 159 rims. I took the wheel off last night and checked the arms and everything seemed okay. The one thing I did notice is that the nuts were so easy to take off. I checked the other wheels and all the nuts were not that tight. Should I be concerned about this?

Here in NJ pot holes pop up out of no where and the state takes MONTHS to fix. I've been to other states and I never once seen the roads as bad as this pathetic state.

I can't wait to move out of here.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 10:56 AM   #8
BigO1120
3rd Degree
United_States
Rep

I have my father and my uncle who work at a BMW collision shop. I'll take it to them and see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 01:45 PM   #9
Don Nguyen
Banned
Rep
Drives: '99 M3 Vert, '95 M3 Coupe, 964

Was it an OEM wheel?

-Don
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 02:17 PM   #10
BigO1120
3rd Degree
United_States
Rep

Yes, it was a OEM wheel.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 02:37 PM   #11
Don Nguyen
Banned
Rep
Drives: '99 M3 Vert, '95 M3 Coupe, 964

Damn, that sucks big time then.

Like others said, maybe you can try to get it replaced under some sort of warrenty, if you purchased one.

You can also try getting it fixed at some local wheel repair place. Would end up costing around $100 dollars, I would assume, maybe a bit more if they have to repaint it or pcoat it as well. Sometimes they are just never the same though, once they have been bent and repaired.

Or you can always take this opportunity to upgrade your wheels and tires.

-Don
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 12:36 AM   #12
e92man
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: modded e92 335i coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
i always tell people who want cheap tires that, all your power, your performance, your modifications, your time and effort, your love and care, your friends and family, your groceries, your everything......................all comes down to 4 little patches of rubber that meet the road........your tires are like your car's spokes person to the road, your car's representative. Dont skimp out on tires.
so i have noticed that u have falkens and i have toyos. do u consider those cheap tires like all the other people on this forum? cuz i dont....
e92 335i jet black, coral red, aluminum, sport, step, paddles, heated seats, pdc, bmw aluminum pedals, oem aero kit front lip, 19' miro type 366 hamann race edition reps, H&R sport springs, 15% tints, vorsteiner rear deck spoiler, custom front pdc

"The only cars that should be yellow are taxi cabs and school busses."
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 12:42 AM   #13
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

^I had Toyo T1R tires and loved them. They weren't cheap at all..they cost more than the Falken 452s that I was looking at.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 12:46 AM   #14
borsalino
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 328i

You might be able to get the local city to pay for it. In Vancouver if anyone reports a pothole to the city and then you happen do hit it the same pothole the city will pay for the damages.
      12-23-2007, 04:27 AM   #15
BMW MotorSport
Banned
Rep
Drives: 95 Avus M3 and 07 E90 Fam Car!

Damn man that really sucks. I hit a huge pot hole the other day I thought my wheels were going to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
nice quote to live by.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 02:15 PM   #16
BigO1120
3rd Degree
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsalino View Post
You might be able to get the local city to pay for it. In Vancouver if anyone reports a pothole to the city and then you happen do hit it the same pothole the city will pay for the damages.
Unfortunately here in New Jersey they could give a rat's a$$ if you dent your rim after hitting a pot hole. This is why I'm moving out this crappy state after my first child is born. I can't wait!

On another note...I got the rim fixed. The ride is much better but I still feel a faint vibration when driving at high speeds. Again, it's much better now then it was before but not 100% (I would say 90% - 95%). I don't have the $$$ right now to upgrade my wheels.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 02:30 PM   #17
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92man View Post
so i have noticed that u have falkens and i have toyos. do u consider those cheap tires like all the other people on this forum? cuz i dont....
Did I ever say Toyos were cheap? Niether Falkens nor Toyos are shitty tires. Im talking about those Generals or whatever they are, and other off brand and no name stuff.

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 02:31 PM   #18
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW MotorSport View Post

nice quote to live by.
Thank you sir

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 02:33 PM   #19
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
^I had Toyo T1R tires and loved them. They weren't cheap at all..they cost more than the Falken 452s that I was looking at.
Guess it depends on where you get them then, because the toyos were cheaper then the Falkens where I bought. But we're talking about a 5-10 dollar per tire difference......thats nothing. And I never said Toyos were bad. Khumo's and Sumitomo's on the other hand haha........

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 04:03 PM   #20
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Axe Murderer with headlights

If you have the time and are REALLY hell bent on not paying for anything, you could note the location of the pothole and submit a claim for payment to the county or precinct. In fairfax county, VA where I live, the government has a fund just for things like this. The county is responsible to maintain roads etc and you can submit a written claim w/ photo's to the county office. The good thing is they laterl inspect the location and fix it and reimburse you a specific dollar amount based on what they deem logical and appropriate. I think they may require some sort of estimate. worth a shot, I see your in NJ
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #21
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep

oh and here you go...

most people are unaware of this....but the state dept of transportation in each state is normally responsible for maintenance and up keeping of road conditions. You can only do so much to avoid a pothole, as they state in the DMV manual, if you see your going to hit a squirrel, dont swerve to avoid it...HIT it and keep the car going straight...better to kill a squirrel than other people.
http://www.state.nj.us/transportatio...tholeform.shtm
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 03:57 PM   #22
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep

BUMP any updates?? Get your rim fixed???
Appreciate 0