E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 2008 325i E92 Play in Steering Rack - Possible Replacement?

07-11-2012, 04:21 AM   #1
eddiem74
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 325i M-Sport Coupe

2008 325i E92 Play in Steering Rack - Possible Replacement?

Ok so had the car in with BMW for a free summer check. One of the findings was that they found play in the steering rack when up on the ramp. Now they said I might not have noticed it driving but suggested it should be replaced and it also requires re-programming so around €2,000 for the job.

As I am not a mechanic just wondering how urgent this is to be resolved or is it just something that if I don't notice when driving its fine? Additionally is the price quoted excessive or not?

Any other information/advice welcome. Thanks!
      07-11-2012, 04:29 AM   #2
Stringbag
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d touring

Free summer check eh? They must be doing really well at the moment, selling loads of cars, really busy, just want to give something back to their loyal customers.
Hang on a minute.........
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 04:39 AM   #3
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

Time for a second opinion!

Dont tell the next garage what the last one told you. If they come back with the same diagnosis, you know where you stand..
      07-11-2012, 05:55 AM   #4
eddiem74
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbag View Post
Free summer check eh? They must be doing really well at the moment, selling loads of cars, really busy, just want to give something back to their loyal customers.
Hang on a minute.........

On the plus side, they replaced the coils under a recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
Time for a second opinion!

Dont tell the next garage what the last one told you. If they come back with the same diagnosis, you know where you stand..
Yeah, will do that for sure. So if its confirmed is the kind of money quoted accurate or?
      01-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
eddiem74
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep

Unhappy

Ok so bringing this back up again.

I had a well regarded guy from a BMW Indy check the car over as a side-job a few months back for play in the steering rack and also a creaking noise at the front going over speed bumps. He had the car up on a ramp, was inspecting with a light, was prodding and poking with a crowbar and grabbing the wheels and looking for movement, etc...

He said there was no play and could not really find a creaking noise but he could replicate some noise around the tension struts (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...15&hg=31&fg=05) and said they should be replaced.

So I was getting some quotes to have the work done along with a service when I seen the thread on here about the creaky suspension which I think ties in with what I was hearing.

So having got a good quote from another BMW Indy, instead of just replacing the tension struts asked him to do a quick inspection and see if it was the bushes/dampers that was my issue.

So had the car in with him yesterday and he put the car up on the ramp and then he called me out to the workshop after a few minutes of inspecting. He said he could hear a knocking noise when he was aggressively shaking the front wheel but needed to remove the undertray to look further so he did.

Upon further inspection with the engine tray off, he told me he thinks its the steering rack . The noise sounds pretty much like this when he shakes the wheel up on the ramp (I cannot produce it the same as in the video)

So looks like a new steering rack is needed? Car has 71,500 miles on it at the moment and a fair bit of BMW service history.

Anyone know if there is a known issue with the steering rack? Might try and see about goodwill from BMW?

Not sure buying 2nd hand is really an option here?

Advice / help welcome.
      01-16-2013, 03:43 AM   #6
eddiem74
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep

Okay so I might try and approach BMW for goodwill in a few weeks and see how far I get.

A new steering rack looks like it will cost in the region of €2000 including fitting and coding.

Part number is: 32106793458 and it runs around €1700 plus you need to give the old rack back if using an indy for a rebate else the cost if higher.

Any ideas of options where to source a new rack? I can have my indy order it if a trade account is needed for a better price.

Help / advice welcome.