E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > The $35 Aero Lip on Ebay ... opinions on edge please

04-15-2012, 02:01 AM   #155
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Baysonr is apparently out of front lips till early next year according to him.
      04-15-2012, 02:02 AM   #156
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxs80 View Post
oooooh the ebay lip...I just finished installing my ebay lip...it came out "ok"..

I ended up pulling the trigger on an 89$ ebay lip and I was highly dissapointed. Mold marks, bubbles, uneven thickness all around, and over all terrible quality. Fitment was actually, meh. The lip edges DO NOT even reach the fender walls. (There is someone else on another thread that had this issue). I wish I had the 'wrap around' issue the OP had...

I contacted the seller and he was willing to accept the return but it was 89$ to ship it back! I knew I was getting hooked up with the paint so I just went with it.

Prep work with a heat gun helped it turn out better. My strategy was to heat and 'hyper' bend certain areas, especially the center pillars, so when the lip went on the car, it would actually want to "clamp" on the car giving the 3M tape less work to do. This actually worked and gave the lip a tighter fit, which I'm happy about. I know that some people had issues with these. I on the other hand had issues with everything else!

I ended up having to drill extra holes on the far sides because the holes on the lip were off by like 3/4 inch.

Paint went pretty smooth except for the mold marks and the bubbles. These had to be filled in and my friend was not happy.

In the end, the edges around the fog lights have tiny gaps because the lip is just crap, no other reason. Since it didn't wrap around the edges, I have a small arcing gap on the driver's side that I'll have to cover up some how. From a distance it looks good. Up close, it belongs in a Honda Civic ricer club.

Lesson learned, you get what you pay for. At least this isn't a permanent thing and I can craigslist it or something in the future...Might post pictures later if someone would like to see the "mess".
Please post the seller's name so others can avoid buying from them.
      04-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #157
hxs80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i

The seller is 4caroption.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #158
rkan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe' -Black Sapphire

I bought oem "like" front lip from supremepowerseller on ebay. Will update with results once it arrives.
      04-30-2012, 03:50 AM   #159
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkan View Post
I bought oem "like" front lip from supremepowerseller on ebay. Will update with results once it arrives.
Updates ?
      04-30-2012, 08:09 AM   #160
rkan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Updates ?
I have recieved it and am waiting for the painter to finish. I have taken a lot of pictures of it and intend to do a full review once i get the finished product.
The short version: arrived in a plastic bag that was "loose" inside a box. I say loose with quotes because it had no foam or support inside. It was wedged in there pretty tight though. I dont know if it was the way they wedged it or if the box was slightly too small, but it had a bow upwards in the center section. I worked it with a heat gun for half an hour and got it to go down to an acceptable level. There were slightly rough edges all around the perimeter of the piece and on the ends that terminate at the wheel wells there was enough bad molding that i decided to sand it. After 45 min. block sanding with 320, 800, 1000, it was good as it was going to get. The very upper corner of the left wheel well edge had a crack on the back side that i was afraid if i sanded the front anymore would break off a piece half the size of a pencil eraser. So i stopped.

When i test fitted it the very outside edge screw holes where about a half inch off. I finally got up the nerve to push on the lip so hard that i thought i would implode my bumper and that allowed me to barely get a screw tip in at an extreme angle and leverage it in with 45 degree pressure and a socket wrench. Once that was in the other side was worse. I then worked it with a heat gun for 45 minutes trying to get the ends to go somewhere near my bumper. I would heat up the end, watch it conform to the bumper and as it was cooling it would pull away again. So I heated it and held it with a gloved hand with the heat gun on cool and it made it a little better. I am going to need a CRAP LOAD of 3m tape to get this looking half way right.

For something that arrived in this condition I normally would be really pissed. But I chose to go the cheap ebay route so i could afford to get gloss black kidneys and black lower mesh. (Both recieved from Tischer and both look great. Will install those soon.)

So, for $87 dollars shipped, you get what u pay for.

Caveat emptor.

Last edited by rkan; 04-30-2012 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: readability
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #161
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I have recieved it and am waiting for the painter to finish. I have taken a lot of pictures of it and intend to do a full review once i get the finished product.
The short version: arrived in a plastic bag that was "loose" inside a box. I say loose with quotes because it had no foam or support inside. It was wedged in there pretty tight though. I dont know if it was the way they wedged it or if the box was slightly too small, but it had a bow upwards in the center section. I worked it with a heat gun for half an hour and got it to go down to an acceptable level. There were slightly rough edges all around the perimeter of the piece and on the ends that terminate at the wheel wells there was enough bad molding that i decided to sand it. After 45 min. block sanding with 320, 800, 1000, it was good as it was going to get. The very upper corner of the left wheel well edge had a crack on the back side that i was afraid if i sanded the front anymore would break off a piece half the size of a pencil eraser. So i stopped.

When i test fitted it the very outside edge screw holes where about a half inch off. I finally got up the nerve to push on the lip so hard that i thought i would implode my bumper and that allowed me to barely get a screw tip in at an extreme angle and leverage it in with 45 degree pressure and a socket wrench. Once that was in the other side was worse. I then worked it with a heat gun for 45 minutes trying to get the ends to go somewhere near my bumper. I would heat up the end, watch it conform to the bumper and as it was cooling it would pull away again. So I heated it and held it with a gloved hand with the heat gun on cool and it made it a little better. I am going to need a CRAP LOAD of 3m tape to get this looking half way right.

For something that arrived in this condition I normally would be really pissed. But I chose to go the cheap ebay route so i could afford to get gloss black kidneys and black lower mesh. (Both recieved from Tischer and both look great. Will install those soon.)

Caveat emptor.
Thanks for the review.

Should have saved even more money and painted the grills yourself.
      04-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #162
rkan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Thanks for the review.

Should have saved even more money and painted the grills yourself.
I chose to have a "factory" finish on the kidneys and "naturally" colored black plastic lower mesh grills so I would not have to keep taking off the bumper to repaint them the right way.
      04-30-2012, 03:05 PM   #163
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I recently had an OEM Aero lip installed in place of a similarly-shaped "eBay" lip that had too many rough edges and needed too much finishing to make it worthwhile. I was able to buy the OEM lip from the painter I used who had taken it off another car that went with a new M-Tech bumper, so I got it cheap. Here's a photo of how it turned out - I'm pretty pleased with it overall:
Attached Images

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #164
Agent11br
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
I chose to have a "factory" finish on the kidneys and "naturally" colored black plastic lower mesh grills so I would not have to keep taking off the bumper to repaint them the right way.
Did you get the 328i lower grilles? I did this but ended up having to dremel the passenger side so there was air flow to the oil cooler as they make them a one piece design now.

Whatever you do, DO NOT paint them... they will end up chipping

I love my Ebay lip. I too got it in a box, had to do some brief heat gun molding in the center but it fits fantastic, all the holes lined up, and it looks great IMO:

This pic was taken by member DV and more photos of it can be seen in this thread of all BSMs.
      04-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #165
rkan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent11br View Post
Did you get the 328i lower grilles? I did this but ended up having to dremel the passenger side so there was air flow to the oil cooler as they make them a one piece design now.

Whatever you do, DO NOT paint them... they will end up chipping

I love my Ebay lip. I too got it in a box, had to do some brief heat gun molding in the center but it fits fantastic, all the holes lined up, and it looks great IMO:

This pic was taken by member DV and more photos of it can be seen in this thread of all BSMs.
I don't know what model they came from. I just followed tischers ordering directions that specifically mentioned that the oil cooler side was open.
      04-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #166
Agent11br
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
I don't know what model they came from. I just followed tischers ordering directions that specifically mentioned that the oil cooler side was open.
Dang you got lucky then, I just saw that on there. I used part #'s from a thread back in '08-09, where they talked about it being just like the driver's side with the panel you could just pop/cut off... not so in my case. I'll post pics in a diff thread at some point. It sucked but I achieved what I wanted... all black non rock shipped lower grilles

Not sure if you have installed yet, but I have pulled my bumper 2-3 times now and the easiest way to do it is popping off your front wheels. Makes the two bolts up by the headlight a cinch to get in and out.
      04-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #167
rkan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent11br View Post
Dang you got lucky then, I just saw that on there. I used part #'s from a thread back in '08-09, where they talked about it being just like the driver's side with the panel you could just pop/cut off... not so in my case. I'll post pics in a diff thread at some point. It sucked but I achieved what I wanted... all black non rock shipped lower grilles

Not sure if you have installed yet, but I have pulled my bumper 2-3 times now and the easiest way to do it is popping off your front wheels. Makes the two bolts up by the headlight a cinch to get in and out.
I just used the install guide from http://billswebspace.com/bmw335.htm

I had a helper hold back the plastic liner with the wheel turned all the way to the side and it was not to hard.
      04-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #168
hxs80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i

Quote:

Caveat emptor.
This sounds exactly like my experience. I also tried to heat the lip in different areas and try to force it in but instead I gave up and just drilled new outer holes to get it fit. That's how I ended up with it not matching the fender walls. As I was reading your review I was having horrible flashbacks. I'm sorry someone else had to go through this. Since I'm not in a hurry I'm fishing around for someone to sell their OEM or used PROVEN good fitment lip.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #169
rkan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Caveat emptor.
So, its painted, and installed. Could not even put in the screws in either end because they were too far off, and the 3 screws I did put in (middle and 1 out from the middle on each side) are pulling the lip down and creating a gap at the middle two junctures. The gap in the pictures is right when I finished, it has opened up a little more now. I did use a crap load of tape, but the mechanical force of the screws constant pressure has overwhelmed the tapes holding power. Does not reach the wheel well. Off by quite a bit on passenger side. I am honestly deflated by this experience. I KNEW I was buying a potential piece of crap from ebay, but I thought I could massage it into place. Its almost as if the whole piece is capable of fitting "inside" an OEM one. Its just a bit to small everywhere.
Oh, full disclosure, I installed it OVER the clear bra I have on the front bumper. (I knew this might turn out to be crap so I was not going to sacrifice my paint protection to possibly get better contact.) Most of the tape is contacting that, some is on the paint (inner sides of center opening) I cleaned all the surfaces well with mineral spirits and then 98% alchohol.

I think it looks ok from about 15 feet away so I am leaving it on. I have no other choice right now.
Dont buy from SUPREMEPOWERSELLER.
Attached Images

10-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #170
conmanxtreme
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Anywhere good sellers to get the aero lip from right now?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #171
gazorp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Does anyone know if these lips are compatible with active cruise control sensor?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 01:27 AM   #172
Anon007
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hard to go through all comments on my phone so might have been answered, anyone selling for a 2006 e90?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #173
QBimmer
Rep
Drives: e92 328i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by conmanxtreme View Post
Anywhere good sellers to get the aero lip from right now?
Looking for an answer to this as well
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #174
dreweezy
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

good looking lip for cheap, nice
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #175
eamon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i, 2010 328i (sold)

Baysonr is sold out
Some of the other vendor's lips look like random pieces of plastic
Suggestions?
      09-09-2017, 08:08 AM   #176
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i M Package

Garage List
Old thread but I just bought one off eBay prepainted for $175. Will be here Tuesday. We'll see...
Appreciate 0