E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > £605!!!

08-03-2011, 04:46 AM   #1
Golgarth
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 318d M-sport tourer Bus

£605!!!

Just thought I would warn others about a potential rather large bill should they own tourers. I just had to replace the load cover (parcel shelf/dog guard).

Yes, £605!

Thank god I wasn't paying.

It looks like someone slammed mine in too hard and the cast fixing broke on the shelf itself, meaning one side wouldn't lock and it kept dropping off.
Broken side:

Good side:

Think I will repair the one I have as 5 mins with some sheet metal and some accurate bending should effect a repair.

Anyways, more a word of warning for others, don't break it, it ain't cheap.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 04:49 AM   #2
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Shocking price but they are amazingly heavy so must be plenty of bits and pieces in them.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 05:33 AM   #3
EssexIan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 335d MSport

Does the new one at least not rattle? Mine rattles like a b*****d!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 06:22 AM   #4
Tunbridge
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d M Sport Touring (2007)

Garage List
Wow that is expensive. Think I will be extra careful with mine from now one!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 06:30 AM   #5
I6Touring
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 330d sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Shocking price but they are amazingly heavy so must be plenty of bits and pieces in them.
I couldn't believe that the 325i (or 330i) has a magnesium cased engine to save a few kg, then blows most of the weight saving on this overcomplex piece of tat. I found it just got in the way when using the car in van mode so mine's been stored in the house since getting the car, and hopefully it won't get broken there!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 07:11 AM   #6
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

The Most Over Engineered Bit on the Car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balernoStu View Post
I couldn't believe that the 325i (or 330i) has a magnesium cased engine to save a few kg, then blows most of the weight saving on this overcomplex piece of tat. I found it just got in the way when using the car in van mode so mine's been stored in the house since getting the car, and hopefully it won't get broken there!
I have to agree - the most 'over engineered' bit on the car ----- unless of course anyone else thinks differently!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #7
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Mine sat in the attic for the whole 2 years I owned by E91 and my subsequent X5 and now current X5 are all the same. Need to remember to put it in the car when selling !
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #8
Tunbridge
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d M Sport Touring (2007)

Garage List
Don't you guys use them to stop prying eyes seeing the contents of your boot?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falmouthboy View Post
I have to agree - the most 'over engineered' bit on the car ----- unless of course anyone else thinks differently!
As an engineer, have to say I imagine it was quiet a complex design brief.

I use mine virtually every time I'm using the car. I use the safety feature of the net, when the seats are down and carrying objects.

Like the way it slides (as an assembly) into the back of the seats and allows a barrier to the front of the car, when used to full capacity.

The auto opening feature makes so much sense as well.

My 540i had the same sort of system, minus the auto opening, and that was used regularly, without issues. Again often using the safety feature of the net.

Don't see any negatives, except the weight, but it has to be pretty strong for the worst case "load movement" when used as a divider.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #10
Golgarth
Private
Rep

I really need mine. Carry lots that I don't want prying eyes seeing. I think it's a great piece of kit, and in van mode the net works very well, don't want a mountain bike or two min the back of my head should I emergency brake.
Have to say it's a well engineered bit of kit, but still waaaaaaaay too expensive.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #11
I6Touring
Private
Scotland
Rep

Golgarth, I'd be interested to see how you use it to secure mountain bikes as I've always been concerned about the safety aspect of carrying heavy objects loose in the cabin, though I usually load bikes on the roof rack nowadays.

Otherwise I rarely carry stuff of value that needs to be hidden, or for that matter leave it in places where security is likely to be an issue.

Below is my car in 'van' mode. Believe it or not the driver's view is not really restricted, and stuff does not move around when cornering as the front of the boards are held by the passenger seatbelt.

IMG_0120 by aliandstuart, on Flickr

Were I to trade it in, it could well be against a VW T5 Kombi!

Last edited by I6Touring; 08-03-2011 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #12
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Golgarth, I'd be interested to see how you use it to secure mountain bikes as I've always been concerned about the safety aspect of carrying heavy objects loose in the cabin, though I usually load bikes on the roof rack nowadays.
You mean with the net? I must have got the wrong end of the stick but in van mode the over engineered thing attaches to the back of the now flat seats and the net stretches to the forward roof sockets.

I think. Never tried it but when I've looked that's what I imagined you did
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 01:54 AM   #13
I6Touring
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
You mean with the net? I must have got the wrong end of the stick but in van mode the over engineered thing attaches to the back of the now flat seats and the net stretches to the forward roof sockets.

I think. Never tried it but when I've looked that's what I imagined you did
Ah right, I never knew it did that!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 04:41 AM   #14
Golgarth
Private
Rep

Quote:

Otherwise I rarely carry stuff of value that needs to be hidden, or for that matter leave it in places where security is likely to be an issue.

Below is my car in 'van' mode. Believe it or not the driver's view is not really restricted, and stuff does not move around when cornering as the front of the boards are held by the passenger seatbelt.

IMG_0120 by aliandstuart, on Flickr

Were I to trade it in, it could well be against a VW T5 Kombi!
The whole setup slides into the black carriers on the back of the seat (which would now be flat) and as posted above the net pulls up into the sockets behind the front seats. For the sake of 5 mins to do it (if that) it's worth it's price purely for this safety alone.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 07:28 AM   #15
I6Touring
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgarth View Post
The whole setup slides into the black carriers on the back of the seat (which would now be flat) and as posted above the net pulls up into the sockets behind the front seats. For the sake of 5 mins to do it (if that) it's worth it's price purely for this safety alone.
Yes, got it now. The forward hooks in my car have so far been used only by the kids to store very small toys. I'm inspired to try out the shelf again after this thread though, and at £605 to replace I'll know to be careful!
Appreciate 0