E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Funny story

03-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
xzibit a
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Funny story

So while talking to a customer about servicing his transmission on his 07 335i, he mentioned that last week a service advisor from a local bmw dealership told him that he should never service his transmission. The reason he should never service his trans is because " the fluid gets better with age" and " the fluid has special chemicals that breakdown and dissolve any shavings that come from the transmission."

I dont know about you guys but i NEED some of THAT fluid. We laughed about it for a few minutes and then i replaced his leaking transpan and changed the fluid. He no longer has magic fluid and now will change it every 30k since it wont dissolve the metal.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
Automatic tranny, I presume?

there is some relevancy to this statement ONLY IF THE TRANNY HAS HIGH MILEAGE.

Changing automatic transmission fluid on a somewhat high mileage car (over 60K) can cause problems for the tranny.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
xzibit a
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycane View Post
Automatic tranny, I presume?

there is some relevancy to this statement ONLY IF THE TRANNY HAS HIGH MILEAGE.

Changing automatic transmission fluid on a somewhat high mileage car (over 60K) can cause problems for the tranny.
Yes you are correct, But the point was that the fluid is special and has majic properties. There is no way the trans fluid dissolves anything other wise the transmission would never last.

Your opinion of high milage is a little off, high milage is typically considered 120k and above. I have fixed a few bmw automatic transmissions by changing the fluid and they were both over 130k miles. The lifetime trans fluid that came out was worse than diesel motor oil. Both had "valvebody" issues, and they both now have over 200k on them without ever replacing components.

Then again i have flushed domestic transmissions that had high milage and they didnt make it out of the shop, Also recently a range rover(bmw trans) also didnt make it long after changing the trans fluid.

This is why this customer starts at 60k and changes it every 30K. This is also what we reccomend to our customers as well as it is the "safest" approach.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
I never agreed with what they said about "magic properties"

It is not my OPINION, but more of a collective thought by many when addressing automatic trannies....just passing it on.

I own manuals so it's not an issue for me...
Appreciate 0