E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > NC cop driving in SC brake checks driver!

03-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #23
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
If its illegal to talk on the phone while driving and illegal to text while driving, simple logic would put recording video with a hand held device in the same boat. Its distracting the driver from the road.

Watch the video again, he was that close and not once can you see the speedo. If you see otherwise give me a time stamp of a clear view of the speedo.

If you read my first post on this I said both are idiots. The cop isn't clean from wrong doing because he is a cop, I never said that. I did however try to argue some points in favor of the cop because it was a way to point out how the guy filming was in the wrong.
      03-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #24
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641 View Post

3. Not once in the video does he show what speed he is doing while stuck behind the officer. The cop could have been doing the speed limit for all we know, its hard to judge speed by just the camera.
The news article posted above explains that the man filming never exceeded the speed limit and that the officer was cited for being at fault in the accident.

Just saying.

"Walton came up on the Onslow County Deputy going eastbound on I-526 in North Charleston, SC. Walton says the deputy was holding up traffic by going 50 mph in the fast line, when the speed limit was 60.

To get around the deputy, Walton says he moved in to the right lane before pulling back into the fast lane. Still recording video, Walton caught the deputy passing on his right, then cutting back in front. That's when the video shows the deputy slamming on his brakes, which caused Walton to rear-end the cruiser.

"That video doesn't lie," Walton told WWAY by phone. "You can see how it happened. You can see the speedometer in the video, where you can see I was going 60 miles an hour."

After the crash, Walton says the deputy, driving car No. 145 that was marked as a K-9 unit, did not pull over, so Walton called 911. Walton says North Charleston Police responded and cited the deputy for being at fault."

Going too slow on the interstate can be dangerous. It tends to create large clumps of traffic.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #25
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I read a news article recently for a woman getting ticketed for going 63 in a 65 in the left lane. So by the same logic the cop was in the wrong and being a power tripping douche.

I would have passed him too.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #26
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM3S View Post
I read a news article recently for a woman getting ticketed for going 63 in a 65 in the left lane. So by the same logic the cop was in the wrong and being a power tripping douche.

I would have passed him too.
Here's the ironic thing... the story you're talking about happened in Laurel, MD (not that far from here) and the ticket was dismissed - because the cop was wrong there too.

I mean, he was right - but MD is a bassackward state that doesn't have a decent keep right except to pass law, so the officer was right in every way except legally

Anyone who's ever driven in MD - especially in the counties near DC - can vouch for the fact that that law is desperately needed.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #27
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
The news article posted above explains that the man filming never exceeded the speed limit and that the officer was cited for being at fault in the accident.

Just saying.

"Walton came up on the Onslow County Deputy going eastbound on I-526 in North Charleston, SC. Walton says the deputy was holding up traffic by going 50 mph in the fast line, when the speed limit was 60.

To get around the deputy, Walton says he moved in to the right lane before pulling back into the fast lane. Still recording video, Walton caught the deputy passing on his right, then cutting back in front. That's when the video shows the deputy slamming on his brakes, which caused Walton to rear-end the cruiser.

"That video doesn't lie," Walton told WWAY by phone. "You can see how it happened. You can see the speedometer in the video, where you can see I was going 60 miles an hour."

After the crash, Walton says the deputy, driving car No. 145 that was marked as a K-9 unit, did not pull over, so Walton called 911. Walton says North Charleston Police responded and cited the deputy for being at fault."

Going too slow on the interstate can be dangerous. It tends to create large clumps of traffic.
I still can't see the speedo in the video, but I don't doubt he was going slow and that is wrong. Still Walton did not handle it the best way either and shouldn't be celebrated as a hero for bringing down a cop who has a family and now doesnt have a job.
      03-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #28
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
I still can't see the speedo in the video, but I don't doubt he was going slow and that is wrong. Still Walton did not handle it the best way either and shouldn't be celebrated as a hero for bringing down a cop who has a family and now doesnt have a job.
I agree. None of us know the cop's back story but assuming this is his "first offense" he shouldn't have been demoted to the point that he would have to resign to find other employment.

On the other hand, if this is the cop's third or fourth incident of this nature, then justice has been served.

Either way, jack ass with a cellphone camera is not a hero.
      03-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #29
kihun
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

what a jack ass.. im glad this pig resigned.. makes us a lot safer out on the road.
      03-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #30
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
I agree. None of us know the cop's back story but assuming this is his "first offense" he shouldn't have been demoted to the point that he would have to resign to find other employment.

On the other hand, if this is the cop's third or fourth incident of this nature, then justice has been served.

Either way, jack ass with a cellphone camera is not a hero.
Are you kidding me? I can't watch that video again because I'll get pissed off all over again.

The guy in the truck would have been either in jail or out on bail awaiting trial if the roles had been reversed. Police should be held to a higher standard of behavior than the general public, not lower. I think that losing his job was fair considering that there are insinuations that the pickup driver "baited" him prior to the video. He's been given a favor by being allowed to resign and not being fired and then charged with vehicular assault.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #31
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
If its illegal to talk on the phone while driving and illegal to text while driving, simple logic would put recording video with a hand held device in the same boat. Its distracting the driver from the road.

Watch the video again, he was that close and not once can you see the speedo. If you see otherwise give me a time stamp of a clear view of the speedo.

If you read my first post on this I said both are idiots. The cop isn't clean from wrong doing because he is a cop, I never said that. I did however try to argue some points in favor of the cop because it was a way to point out how the guy filming was in the wrong.
First, your "simple logic" is poor and incorrect. It is illegal to talk while driving, because it's illegal. Do you not remember WHEN texting became illegal in your state or are you too young to have driven that long ago?

Second watch the video in 1080p, if you can't see the speedo you are blind.

The guy filiming might be wrong to a minor degree, but it's totally overshadowed by the cop. That's like me calling you a name and you shooting me, no one goes "oh well hes an idiot for calling you retarded"
      03-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #32
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

I hate O-Cha and wishes he dies with colon cancer, but in this case he's right...

There are too many cops that abuse their powers, acts like hardasses for no reason, and goes on power trip. I'm glad the cop is out of work and off the road, we don't need that shit...dude was probably just having a bad day

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #33
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
Are you kidding me? I can't watch that video again because I'll get pissed off all over again.

The guy in the truck would have been either in jail or out on bail awaiting trial if the roles had been reversed. Police should be held to a higher standard of behavior than the general public, not lower. I think that losing his job was fair considering that there are insinuations that the pickup driver "baited" him prior to the video. He's been given a favor by being allowed to resign and not being fired and then charged with vehicular assault.
No, not kidding. But i'm not saying he was right either. I'm just saying that if it were his first incident like this he should be reprimanded, had a week's pay withheld and that's that. If it were his 3rd incident of improper professional behavior, then all is good.

I guess i just want people to be tolerant with me should i have a lapse in judgement. Therefore, i'm more tolerant with others when they have their lapse.

And yes, police should be held to a higher standard than us lowly citizens. That doesn't mean they will be exempt from mistakes or that they shouldn't be allowed to make a mistake. They should be held responsible for their mistakes just as the citizens are and then a little more. Not chop off their heads if they spit on the sidewalk.

The ironic part of this is that i bet there isn't hardly anyone on this board that hasn't break checked someone at some point in their lives.
      03-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #34
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
I hate O-Cha and wishes he dies with colon cancer, but in this case he's right...
What did I ever do to you.
      03-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #35
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The ironic part of this is that i bet there isn't hardly anyone on this board that hasn't break checked someone at some point in their lives.
It not just the brake checking by any means. It's blocking the lane, then when someone finally has the opportunity to safely pass, flying back around them, cutting them off, and brake checking them for no reason. I'm willing to bet most people here have NEVER done that.
      03-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #36
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
It not just the brake checking by any means. It's blocking the lane, then when someone finally has the opportunity to safely pass, flying back around them, cutting them off, and brake checking them for no reason. I'm willing to bet most people here have NEVER done that.
I've personally seen that happen on public roads several times. I've seen plenty of people get pissed at someone who was tailgating (as the guy in the truck was) and stay next to the car they are driving next to so the tailgater can't pass. If you are going to say this type of stuff doesn't happen then you are just arguing for arguments sake. I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said "Go a head and tailgate me, i love driving under the speed limit".

This same situation happens in the private sector 10,000 times compared to the 1 time a cop did it.

Again, still not saying what the cop did was ok. Just willing to bet that people bashing the cop have brake checked someone.
      03-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #37
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Dont feel too bad for the cop, he will be a LEO in a different jurisdiction in no time unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #38
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
No shit. Damn cops. I hate cops ever since they pulled me over for going 90 in a 55. What an asshole that cop was... That means all cops are idiots, automatically. I mean everyone speeds, so it's ok.
      03-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #39
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, not kidding. But i'm not saying he was right either. I'm just saying that if it were his first incident like this he should be reprimanded, had a week's pay withheld and that's that.
Did you watch that same video that the rest of us did?

I can't understand the willingness to make allowances for it. I guess maybe I've had my life endangered one too many times by cops to give them any special treatment, as you seem to want to.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #40
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

The cop was completely in the wrong. I don't care if the guy was doing 30 over the speed limit while talking on his phone and jerking off. Pull him over, you do NOT intentionally cause an accident. How anyone can possibly try to justify what this guy did is just ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #41
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Funny how so many clowns on this board seem to see so very clearly the fault in others (ie. cop) and are ready to make it into a big deal, but are so ready to excuse their own faults and trivialize them.

That's society for you though, or at least the way it is heading. And its sad.

I agree with MPOWER here - not saying the cop wasn't wrong, but I don't think he deserves to lose his job over one offense, unless this is a repeated thing.

Too many people here suggesting that one lapse in judgement deserves unemployment, yet I'm willing to bet they wouldn't feel the same way every time they have a lapse in judgement. Guess what - you are all part of society, so if its good for him, should be good for you too -next time you make a mistake, presumably you would be rooting for your boss to fire you (or offer you the chance to resign)? Yeah....right. Sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #42
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Again with the reading comprehension.... There seems to be a epidemic of people loosing their reading comprehension skills on this board. Maybe people just skim peoples posts instead of taking the time to read them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
Did you watch that same video that the rest of us did?

I can't understand the willingness to make allowances for it. I guess maybe I've had my life endangered one too many times by cops to give them any special treatment, as you seem to want to.
Yes i did; like Nate, i can't see the guys speedo either, even in 1080. I guess there is something wrong with my monitor. His dash is just black on my computer.

No one here has said the cop should be excused for his actions. Everyone agrees with you that he deserves consequences for his actions.

No one has said he should get special treatment, some of us are for equal treatment. Some others want to stand him in front of a firing squad.

No one wants to make an allowance for his mistakes either. He should be punished for them as you or i would be. He shouldn't have been forced to resign.

I'm interested to know how many times and how have cops endangered your life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
The cop was completely in the wrong. I don't care if the guy was doing 30 over the speed limit while talking on his phone and jerking off. Pull him over, you do NOT intentionally cause an accident. How anyone can possibly try to justify what this guy did is just ridiculous.
Yes, he was wrong. No one is justifying his actions. Some of us are saying his punishment is not justified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Funny how so many clowns on this board seem to see so very clearly the fault in others (ie. cop) and are ready to make it into a big deal, but are so ready to excuse their own faults and trivialize them.

That's society for you though, or at least the way it is heading. And its sad.

I agree with MPOWER here - not saying the cop wasn't wrong, but I don't think he deserves to lose his job over one offense, unless this is a repeated thing.

Too many people here suggesting that one lapse in judgement deserves unemployment, yet I'm willing to bet they wouldn't feel the same way every time they have a lapse in judgement. Guess what - you are all part of society, so if its good for him, should be good for you too -next time you make a mistake, presumably you would be rooting for your boss to fire you (or offer you the chance to resign)? Yeah....right. Sure.
Everyone wants to be judge and jury over everyone's business but their own anymore.

Seriously this thread feels like a few people trying to disperse a posse that's out for a hanging......
      03-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #43
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

Those that say the cop doesn't deserve to lose his job is not thinking clearly. Put yourself in the driver (guy taping) shoes...and you had your wife that's about to have a baby and i rushing her to the hospital. This asshole cop who obviously is having a bad day decide to block you in and THEN put you and your wife in danger by cutting you off so close and slamming your brake. What if you panicked and swerved and hit like 5 other cars while at it and your wife dies and loses the baby. Murphy's law, it could happen.

In this case it is not as bad, but it could've been much much worse. The cop is clearly not fit psychologically to be a cop. You can't lose your cool like that, you are armed with weapons and the law on your side. What if the guy wasn't taping the incident, the cop can just say the driver was being reckless and the cop had to do what he did to neutralize the situation. Who will the judge believe? duhhh

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #44
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

No one here has said the cop should be excused for his actions. Everyone agrees with you that he deserves consequences for his actions.

No one has said he should get special treatment, some of us are for equal treatment. Some others want to stand him in front of a firing squad.

No one wants to make an allowance for his mistakes either. He should be punished for them as you or i would be. He shouldn't have been forced to resign.

I'm interested to know how many times and how have cops endangered your life?
But see, if he were punished "as you or I would be" he WOULD have lost his job and would be in jail for vehicular assault and leaving the scene. I would have lost my last job for too many speeding tickets, never mind a felony charge!

I've lost time of the number of times I've been cut off by police cars changing lanes without signaling, checking mirrors, etc. I've been run off of the Baltimore beltway onto the shoulder (in a bright red car no less) by a police officer diving for his exit at the last minute. I've been tailgated with less than a hood length's distance for miles on end by cops trying to get me to do something that they can pull be over for. I really don't understand it as there are so many bad drivers that I see every day around here and yet the seem to target old (I've always driven older cars except for the Bimmer) or fast-looking cars...

I also was once ticketed on US-50 for something I didn't even do; turns out (as I found by talking to people in the courtroom) that this officer would cruise the highway in an unmarked car, fly up behind "sporty" looking cars (I would estimate that he was doing at least 90+) in the fast lane, then ticket them for speeding when they sped up to move out of his way. I was so pissed off by this behavior that I fought it, especially since the cop lied to my face and said that he'd paced me for some fraction of a mile when I was watching my mirrors the whole time, he was driving like a lunatic and was never pacing me, and I was stuck behind a left lane blocker and never exceeded 60 MPH. He didn't show but the judge didn't even dismiss my ticket I had to go back again, the second time the judge finally dismissed my ticket but was rude, unprofessional and condescending and told a group of us who all had tickets that were from the same officer that he believed that we were all guilty and that we were getting a gift. I couldn't believe that he could say that but I wasn't about to mouth off to a judge who just dismissed my ticket.

Basically I've been conditioned to believe that traffic cops are out to get you any way they can, and the system is set up to screw the motorist, this is why I'm always running Trapster, a dash cam app, and my V-1 (when legal to do so - I live in VA and never use it in-state.) In my experience, the police are also some of the most aggressive, least safe drivers on the road, even when not using their lights.

I'm not saying *all* cops are bad... but it is never safe to assume that any particular cop is not, because so many of them seem to just want to write tickets, deserved or not, and have an "I'm above the law" attitude.
Appreciate 0