E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Anyone own or driven a 1er vert yet?

05-17-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
mgarvey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Renault Megane

Anyone own or driven a 1er vert yet?

I currently have an E91 3-series, which I plan to replace in November(ish). I have kids (well one, with another due next week) and as a result my wife recently replaced her car with a Renault Scenic. Since she doesn't like the hard ride and heavy controls on mine she very rarely drives it, and the Scenic has become the family car.

In short, I've had my son in the BMW zero times since she bought the Scenic in January, so when I change it I can get away with any car that can take two baby seats and a double buggy. It doesn't have to do this comfortably, and it doesn't matter if it takes half an hour to get them in and out, or if one has to go in the front, since the car will only have to take them a couple of times a year.

On that basis, the 1-series convertible appeals!

So:

- Has anyone driven one (or owns one) and what do they think?

- My head says get a 118i as it looks like it is decent enough (similar performance to my old 318Ci, which was fine) and with all the ED stuff will be dirt cheap to run. However, my heart says 'don't be stupid, buy a 125i just for the noise', so I'd be interested in experiences of both.

- Has anyone tried to fit baby seats in them? I'll initially have one forward facing and one rear facing.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 03:58 AM   #2
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

I am no expert on the 1 series cab but here are my thoughts from seeing one in Vines showroom and owning 2 Z4s.

1. Rear space I am sure will be fine for 2 normal baby seats. A forward facing one you would have to check at the dealers but thats just a case of taking your stuff down. If no one in the passanger seat you could move that forward a bit + the 1 has front isofix and pass air deactivation.

2. I looked in the boot (golf clubs) looked like they would go in fine, but not sure how this compares to a double buggy. The boot has 2 sizes depending on roof up or down but less compromised in the down position than the 3 with the metal roof.

3. There is a review in this months BMW Car Magazine of the 125i cab. Bob Harper driver it 1700 miles from Spain back to uk and really liked it.

4. If your weight is towards fun no question it will be great. For my money I would have the 125i coupe with a sunroof but I have done the convertible thing so that is easy for me to say.

I would drive the 125i and at least the smaller engine in any 1 series and see if it's worth the extra money to you. Either way it will be a great car - good luck.

Last edited by Gibbo; 05-18-2008 at 04:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 04:00 AM   #3
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Garage List
Think you'll struggle with the boot and a double buggy. Had a 1 series 5 door when my son was bor, and the rear facing child seat (maxi cosi cabrio) was right up against the back of the front passenger seat, even with it moved forward. But we managed. However, we have a bugaboo buggy, which is pretty big, and, when configured as a pram, it completely filled the boot. Once we changed to to buggy config, it was better, but you may struggle with the convertible, especially with the roof down.

However, don't let that put you off! They are lovely cars IMHO. Where there's a will there's a way Babybjorn carrier for the youngest and a lightweight maclaren buggy for the other one maybe?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 04:02 AM   #4
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Think you'll struggle with the boot and a double buggy. Had a 1 series 5 door when my son was bor, and the rear facing child seat (maxi cosi cabrio) was right up against the back of the front passenger seat, even with it moved forward. But we managed. However, we have a bugaboo buggy, which is pretty big, and, when configured as a pram, it completely filled the boot. Once we changed to to buggy config, it was better, but you may struggle with the convertible, especially with the roof down.

However, don't let that put you off! They are lovely cars IMHO. Where there's a will there's a way Babybjorn carrier for the youngest and a lightweight maclaren buggy for the other one maybe?
When they get older, ditch the carrier and add a buggyboard
      05-19-2008, 05:01 AM   #5
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar View Post
When they get older, ditch the carrier and add a buggyboard
Absolutely With just the one I'm banking on ditching the buggy full stop as soon as poss, as he wants to walk everywhere now anyway. Only problem is he's bloody heavy when he decides he's had enough, so the buggy stays for the time being Roller blades maybe?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 04:09 PM   #6
mgarvey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Renault Megane

The buggyboard option is a possibility, as the older one is showing signs of not wanting to go in his buggy. We'll see how it pans out, as it is a few months before I need to decide anyway.
Appreciate 0