E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > How many sunny days does seattle area get per year?

09-19-2006, 10:56 PM   #1
sal501
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

How many sunny days does seattle area get per year?

A lot of folks I know who don't live in Washington have told me horror stories, that it is depressing in Seattle. Sun doesn't come out, it always rains. Can some one who live there share their thoughts?

How many sunny vs cloudy days does seattle get? Are people in general depressed because of weather. Please share your experiences.

I'll be moving from San Diego. I know it is more or less 180 degree difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2006, 11:15 PM   #2
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

so, if the Seatlle folks tell you that it's depressing, you won't move there?
      09-19-2006, 11:25 PM   #3
sal501
Captain
Rep

I am trying to analyse if it is worth it with all the pros and cons for certain $$ more than my current job.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2006, 11:46 PM   #4
Schweitzer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
My best friend is from there. I just asked him your question. He said more than 250 days, more than half. I have been there, but it didn't rain. It's a beautiful city. But coming from San Diego, you're going to have to make quite an adjustment.
      09-20-2006, 12:48 AM   #5
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Sure it rains a lot here, but it really is a fantastic state imo, especially if you like the outdoors.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2006, 10:13 AM   #6
sal501
Captain
Rep

Thank you gentlemen for responding.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2006, 02:28 PM   #7
aapriadi
Colonel
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 AW 320i

ey now a question for you sal501..i wanna move to SD after graduation next year, what's SD like? snow during winter? is it windy? etc. how's the food and night life? the malls buildings and so on
appreciate your inputs
      09-20-2006, 02:55 PM   #8
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

We just came off of the driest, hotest, summer in recent history. We had sun all the way from Mar to Sept 10th. And then the rains started ... and haven't really stopped since. Which is nice, I re-sodded my entire front lawn in Mar and it only lived until about Mid June before it burned up. Now it's starting to grow back. Stuff here isn't used to that much sun.

Fall and Spring are really soggy. Nov - Dec can go either way, sometimes it'll clear up and be crisp and sunny, sometimes it just rains straight through though.

If you like being out at the beach everyday, out in the sun, Seattle isn't the place for you. But nowhere besides SoCal would be. We just spend a lot of time indoors or spend lots of money on good rain gear. Never really gets too cold, so if you're willing to be out in the rain you can do whatever year round.

If you move here, one thing to be prepared for in the Summer, we call it the 'sunny pass'. If you schedule any kind of event during the summer here even rsvps are considered dependent on other activities. Stays light here in the summer till about 9:30-10pm and people are really prone to bailing on anything and everything to enjoy the few months of sunlight. We have friends that moved up from LA, and were starting to get really bent their first summer when people'd say they'd be at their BBQs and then never showed.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2006, 05:36 PM   #9
DLJJ3399
Lack of charisma can be fatal...
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
It rains a lot, but it doesn't rain very heavily.

Seattle ranks in the top 5 nationally 226 cloudy days per year behind Anchorage, Forks, Astoria and Olympia.

Seattle is in the top 20 with 140 days of measurable rain. Portland, Oregon has 139 days of measurable rain. Rolf …

WFT am I so happy about?

Chicago, Houston, New York City, and Miami, among others, all get more annual rain fall per year than Seattle's 37 inches.

Those cities dump all at once which leads to flooding as we continue to see on the news. Don’t want that, now do we?

Seattle also ranks number 6 nationally in the worst traffic congestion. Ouch!!!

On the other hand, I love the NW and really look forward to the 4 seasons. Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall.

If you really get depressed and need the sun, go back to SoCal for the weekend and re-energize. Good luck!
      09-20-2006, 06:04 PM   #10
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

isn't seattle the suicide capital of the usa too?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2006, 07:18 PM   #11
sal501
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapriadi
ey now a question for you sal501..i wanna move to SD after graduation next year, what's SD like? snow during winter? is it windy? etc. how's the food and night life? the malls buildings and so on
appreciate your inputs

San Diego is sunny almost all year around. You will find 10-15% of the days out of the whole year tend to be cloudy in the morning and then by evening sun comes out. The temperature doesn't vary too much. It is never windy. Summers can be 90 degrees sometimes while winters rarely go below 50 degrees during night. Every alternate year, winter season can be somewhat rainy. You can elect to live near downtown san diego, you will find many options for doing clubbing, bars and pubs etc. There are couple of good malls especially Fashion valley mall if you are into people watching. I don't think it gets any better anywhere else in the country. If you like doing watersports, you will have a blast. Do check out La Jolla, it has upscale restaurants and a nice beach.
Appreciate 0