E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Black Leather Problems

06-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
conceptbass03
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Black Leather Problems

I have searched the forums and haven't come up with anything. I have black leather interior non-sport and have been using lexol cleaning and protections products on the leather. However, often times when i got to clean it the rag is covered in black. Obviously if the leather is really dirty it would be dark but this is like almost dark pigment black. I'm cleaning the seats once a week and baby the hell out of my car so I can't see it getting that dirty every week. Anyone else having this problem or know what is going on?

Another thing is that it will leave black marks on my clothes too! WTH is going on with my leather?!?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 03:13 AM   #2
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

It would seem like you have compromised the pigmentation or dye to the point that you are able to remove it. They now need to be re-finished

You should not / need to use a leather cleaner on a weekly basis
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
Jed
IN THE KNOW!!!!!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 E36 325is; 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptbass03 View Post
I'm cleaning the seats once a week and baby the hell out of my car
If you're cleaning the seats once a week with cleaner, you're definitely not babying your car.

Cleaning should be done maybe like at the most 4 times a year if that. Maintaining it is different-just use a dampened MF towel (with water) every couple weeks to get out the sweat and oil from the seats.

2007 Jet Black 335i Coupe: Saddle Brown interior | ZSP | ZCP | ZPP | iPod integration.
1994 Hellrot 325is: Sport Package | PSS9 Coilover | AutoThority chip | AutoThority CF Intake | UUC pullies | Dinan HiFlo Throttle Body | UUC StrutBarbarian | UUC Evo II SSK | BMW Motorsports X Brace | Rogue Engineering DMS exhaust | Kumho Ecsta V700 R Comps |
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
conceptbass03
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Wow...I had no clue that the seats were that sensitive. That is a little insane if you ask me. How about using the lexol conditioner? I live in the south and it seems like the leather dries out within a week.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
Krells
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptbass03 View Post
Wow...I had no clue that the seats were that sensitive. That is a little insane if you ask me. How about using the lexol conditioner? I live in the south and it seems like the leather dries out within a week.
I have had good luck with zaino cleaner and conditioner for touch ups. For a good deep clean and conditioning I don't think anything beats leatherique.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 07:51 PM   #6
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Cleaners by itself once a week is too much, but there is no problem applying conditioners often. Zaino was my favorite, but it does wear out quickly, which makes me think it doesn't really get absorbed and is mostly stays on top of the leather.
I just bought a bottle of Einszett 1Z Leather and works great!

Every 6 months, applying leatherique is a good idea
Appreciate 0