E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > refinish your interior panels/trim

06-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
5erman
Banned
Rep
Drives: black 5 series

refinish your interior panels/trim

So I did a small project this weekend. I do not have the know how or skill to do much removal of panels but my burl walnut was so scratched everywhere it looked shity on a 3 year old car. I managed to get out my center console/shifter area which was the biggest and worst. I basically polished it with a yellow pad and PBSSR 3, then white pad and SSR 1. Then I put a coat of zaino CS and wax on it.

The other panels I didnt get to do as well but I taped off and did the panels in the car-the two door panel, the main strip in the dash/by air vents. I didnt do the rear as it is untouched and perfect.

Did the same process with the buffing pads-was kind of awkard and could work it as well but they looked 100 times better.

I then scratched the heck out of my matte black gear/lever piece that surrounds the lever and has the PDR etc on it-that ended up being another project that I commented on in the thread below but I basically took it out, sanded it down to bare plastic and coated it with primer and aluminum metalilic spray paint and satin clear coat to match my shifter knob and idrive knob.

It turned out amazing and my interior looksbetter than ever. An easy prjoecto bring your interior to life. I also conditioned seats with zaino and cleaned the dash etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
post some pics of it
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Nice! I toss a coat of wax on mine yearly, but a light polish is a great way to remove the scratches/swirls in the wood. Would love to see some pictures too..

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
5erman
Banned
Rep
Drives: black 5 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
will do-i dont have any before pics which really make the pictures kinda useless as you cannot see how bad they were the sad thing is the anal peopel who clean their cars wayyyy to much really get hit with the worst scratches and swirls on things like interior trim panels which just are not possible to spare no matter what type of towel you use-i guess just polishing every now and again will work-ill get some pics up tonight hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
Digitalinkartist
MrSixSpeed
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Garage Queen

Always great to add additional shine and added uv protection to the cleared trim components. A good coat of wax or sealant will last forever on the interior and will make cleanup a cinch.

GL with the sprayed components. It has been my experience that any can applied paints/finishes just don't hold up well to the normal stresses of the in cabin environment.
I would be interested to hear about the long term reliability of the knobs. (wearing/fading/cracking etc)
Appreciate 0