E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Clunking noise from rear end

05-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
BaseM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey M3

Clunking noise from rear end

I replaced my sport suspension to the performance suspension on my 08 335i a couple of months back. I did not replace the springs but I had to lower the rear subframe all the way down to have enough room to change out the sway bar to the 14mm one. Since then I've had a clunking noise when I go over certain kinds of bumps in the road. The noise occurs only on sharp type bumps and when the weight of the car comes down on the suspension. It happens on both sides. It almost sounds as though somethings loose in the trunk or the rear shocks are loose. I've checked all the bolts that were taken loose and re-torqued to specs. One thing I did notice when attaching the 2 rear bolts for the sub frame is that I needed to jack up the mounting points to get the bolts started into the mounting points. I started from the front bolts got them started 1st and worked to the rear during re-assembly.
Any thoughts?
      05-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
BaseM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey M3

After reading some posts on the PS bumpstops, I used the ones that came with the kit (old vernon). Were these the correct ones to use since I didn't go with the yellow springs?
      05-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Im curious to see some answers to your first question. I just started getting a light clunking in the rear over choppy little bumps too after having my PS springs and Dinan rsm's installed a few months ago.

If you used the old taller PS bumstops with the new yellow PS springs, you mismatched them. That'll upset the car