E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 1M TG WOW

06-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #23
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
The base 1 series is most definitely feminine (including the 135) but the 1M isn't - it's very ungainly front end is all over the place. The Cayman is sleeker and sexier from every angle but that doesn't necessarily make it feminine. And the E90/2 M3 is faster than the 1M. Fact.
I have seen other reviews and they said the new M3 and the 1M is extremely close.

The Cayman and the Boxster look very similar. To me the Boxster is definitely a chicks car.

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #24
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
I agree...there is a car for everyone. The price gap is more than justified by the things that the Porsche has IN SPADES over ANY BMW and cannot put a price on.

Sorry, but Ive actually driven both cars back to back, the M3 is faster, especially once you reach 80+ mph, 1M doesnt stand a chance.
Yea, yea...with a tune...blah blah blah. If youre looking for a fast straight line car, neither is the answer. Go buy a corvette grand sport for 50k and it will destroy both and a tune wont help you against one of them either.

The M3 is a more complete car and work well for me. I dont care if its the fastest or best handling car out there, because its not...but it puts a smile on my face when that v8 is singing at 8400 rpms.

This. Ill take the sexy curves of the cayman S over the awkward looking 1M any day. I do think the 1M has some good angles, but IMO the cayman S/R just look much better.
You have driven a 1M..? Also If I have the $$$ I will buy the M3 over the 1M.

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 07:29 PM   #25
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, I have driven the 1M. Well, abused is more of the word...but yes.
Haha^^^ thats cool.. Like I said someone like me I just see it as the perfect car for me to really learn how to develop my driving skills.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #26
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipit View Post
Depends what type of track. The tigther tracks, the 1M has a chance to come out on top. But at tracks where the M3 can stretch its legs, the 1M can not keep up.
True.. Same goes for the Porsche..

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #27
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

I, for one, can't believe that Clarkson liked a BMW product. I still love him, but he's a bit hypocritical - he gave the E9x M3 crap for the M button back when it was new, yet he raves about it here.

Great review though. Top Gear UK is still the best show ever.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #28
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thats generally not the case here because the Porsche is definitely going to have an advantage on tight tracks being that its the better handling car (and lighter) and on tracks where the cayman R can open up, its also going to win.
The two examples I posted are just that. On something like hockenheim, the cayman R is much faster and on a track where a car can stretch its legs like the ring the cayman R will also be faster since its not only faster in the corners but the speeds there cater to its stronger top end.
I have only seen a handful of track times for each, but other than Bedford, the 1M hasnt been able to hold very close. In the AMS shootout between the CR, 1M, and TTRS, the cayman R was 2 seconds faster on a 60 second lap.

Heres a quick rundown:

Cayman R/1M

Hockenheim 1:12.4/1:14.1 (not close)
Contidrom 1:34.2/1:35.8 (not close)
Bedford 1:24.5/1:25.9 (pretty close)
Sachsenring 1:38.9/1:40.7 (not close)
AMS track 0:58.7/1:00.2 (not close)

And considering the 1M is underpower, says a lot regarding the handling prowess of the CR.

Ring nothing on Cayman R but rumored at 7:57/8:15 (if the cayman R times is even within 8 seconds of that its def not close at all)

Its all in good fun man. Ill likely look at the 1M when they are 30K in another year or so. At that price, id def be interested.

Dude, you have way too much time on your hands. Are you good at Finance? My Professor needs some HPRs for some stocks by midnight. HAHA.. JK

Hey I don't have any track #s.. So you got me..

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 09:21 PM   #29
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
I, for one, can't believe that Clarkson liked a BMW product. I still love him, but he's a bit hypocritical - he gave the E9x M3 crap for the M button back when it was new, yet he raves about it here.

Great review though. Top Gear UK is still the best show ever.
I think Clarksons the MAN!!! Just look at my sig.

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #30
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Actually I work in Finance.
Haha^^^ NICE! Need a Finance student fresh out of school who will be looking for a job in under a year?

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 05:39 PM   #31
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Most people on these boards couldnt drive either car to its limits so who cares. Besides... strip out the back seats on the 1M put in a roll bar, ditch the stock seats, throw some AST's on it and you've got a car that I guarantee will beat the Cayman R for much less than what you'd pay for a Cayman R. You'd be more exclusive too lol

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 05:44 AM   #32
NFS13
Car Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is / R8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoosyJoos View Post
Most people on these boards couldnt drive either car to its limits so who cares. Besides... strip out the back seats on the 1M put in a roll bar, ditch the stock seats, throw some AST's on it and you've got a car that I guarantee will beat the Cayman R for much less than what you'd pay for a Cayman R. You'd be more exclusive too lol
Really? I am pretty sure the 1M will produce more units than the Cayman R, so I am not sure what you are thinking about exclusivity? And you will need a little suspension work to keep up in the turns.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 10:43 AM   #33
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoosyJoos View Post
Really? I am pretty sure the 1M will produce more units than the Cayman R, so I am not sure what you are thinking about exclusivity? And you will need a little suspension work to keep up in the turns.
That's because more people want the 1. It has 4 seats and a proper trunk. The 1 is awesome.

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 11:04 AM   #34
crooked I
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS13 View Post
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542465
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #35
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

The vast majority who can afford and buy these cars do so because: 1) The Badge/Prestige, 2) The look, 3) DD

The last thing on their mind is tracking it.
      06-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #36
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
That's because more people want the 1. It has 4 seats and a proper trunk. The 1 is awesome.
Do you really think more people would want the 1M if the cayman R was also 50K?
I would.. Sorry I will say it again the only Porsche that I would like to own has a V10.

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #37
NFS13
Car Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is / R8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crooked I View Post
If it sells out I am sure the all mighty $ will prevail : )
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 04:04 AM   #38
Simple5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Too bad the 1m doesn't have DCT
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #39
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple3 View Post
Ya that might be the one of the reasons I will want an M3 more.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #40
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine View Post
The vast majority who can afford and buy these cars do so because: 1) The Badge/Prestige, 2) The look, 3) DD

The last thing on their mind is tracking it.
Finally someone is saying the truth here. I've never watched top gear nor any other of those shows. I use my gut feeling when I buy something. Nevermind the Ring and all that. A lot of people are magazine racers.

As for the M I don't care it's F/I and it's of a Chef Boyarde meal (bin engineering). I want a high reving engine and dont want to worry about heat soak or boost leaks(My DD has one as we speak). Sure you cam mod any car strip it etc IMO just buy a real car to start with.

The 1M is a good car for someone that is in the market and dont own a 135. Because I don't see the need of dump a 135 for a 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.

Last edited by mtla4; 07-02-2011 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 01:54 AM   #41
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
I would.. Sorry I will say it again the only Porsche that I would like to own has a V10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple3 View Post
lol
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #42
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
First of all, the Cayman has 2 trunks and they provide a lot of space.

Sorry, but the 1M doesnt handle or feel anywhere close to the way a Porsche or Lotus feels. Other than the Evora S (driven the evora), I have driven all of them, and the 1M cannto touch the feel or precision the other two cars have, not can it match the sound or character of them. And yes, the Cayman R is a good amount faster around the track. All the evidence points to the fact that the Cayman R is significantly faster than the 1M.

Why is the cayman R ~2 seconds faster on Hockenheim than the 1M if they 'arent that much quicker'? 2 seconds on a short lap like that is absolutely embarassing the 1M. The Cayman R Ive heard did 7:57 on the ring where the 1M is 8:15, again not even close.

Its ok if you cant afford a Cayman R or Lotus (or whether you like the look or not), but your arguement of 'they look girly' is about as piss poor as you can get. The 1M is straight up ugly (AND looks like a chicks car) compared to the Cayman R or Lotus.

It sounds like youre more of a straight line speed guy than a track/handling/precision guy, but take your future 1M to a track for a 30 min session down there in the hot, humid florida weather and tell me how long you go before you go into limp mode or start losing power due to overheating.

sorry but i have watched all the comparison of 1m vs cayman r, the 1m makes the cayman r look even more girly.
Appreciate 0