E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Vishnu Open Flash?

10-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
s!ke
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335 6MT

Garage List
Vishnu Open Flash?

Has anyone ever used the Open Flash? http://www.procedetuning.com/BMW/n54...ash/index.html

I was about to pull the trigger on a JB4, but I talked to a guy who tunes a lot of BMW's and he said to go this route.

Thoughts?

/// 2008 e92 335i 6sp JB/CR | COBB AP | AR DP's | AFE DCI | FMIC | BMS Cowl Filters | Stett CP | Forge DV's | Sig photo by jMeas!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i xDrive

Dude just search there are a ton of reviews on it, i owned it and it was a solid tune but i have now switched to the jb4
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Open Flash Tablet is nice. I've played with all the main tunes and have to admit the flash tune is the most stable for a daily driver. Tablet holds two custom tunes so you can switch from a pump gas map to a race day e85 50/50 map within a few minutes. No need to have a laptop in the car and you get a lot of cool options. You're not out much if you don't like it. Always someone online who will buy it for about what you paid for it new.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
s!ke
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thank you Wedge. this is my daily driver so I would like to keep it as reliable as possible. I heard the JB4 is amazing but I have a custom tuner so maybe he can help Squeeze more power out of the open flash? I am not gonna track it. I want to just set it and forget it.

/// 2008 e92 335i 6sp JB/CR | COBB AP | AR DP's | AFE DCI | FMIC | BMS Cowl Filters | Stett CP | Forge DV's | Sig photo by jMeas!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 02:55 AM   #5
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 with MHD Custom flash

I would strongly, strongly, strongly you go with the JB4 tune. There is a lot of really cool features with the JB4 like gauge hijacking, G5 Isolated boost control/BMS backend flash really work well together since the backend flash and some E85 and your car is going to be putting down some MAJOR power!
[SIZE="2"]Crimson Red E92 335i M-sport 6-speed with MHD custom stage 2+ flash only , 40% E85/93 mix,+ HRE P40S wheels, KW Clubsport, M3 sways,+BMW performance CF Mirrors, BMW Performance CF deck lid spoiler,+ CF interior trim, p3 vent boost gauge,+ LUX angel eyes (11.73@124mph on street tires)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #6
franzzz
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostaholic786 View Post
I would strongly, strongly, strongly you go with the JB4 tune. There is a lot of really cool features with the JB4 like gauge hijacking, G5 Isolated boost control/BMS backend flash really work well together since the backend flash and some E85 and your car is going to be putting down some MAJOR power!
.... and a superb aftermarket support.
BMW F82 M4 Black MHD CS Map - GTS DKG - Navi -Performance Brake RSL1 Pads - USB - DivX-DVD - Bluetooth - VoiceControl - Connect - Apps - Online - H&K - TrafficInfo - SpLimInfo - WhiteMerino- PDC - Cam - Adaptive Led - Antitheft - CP Steering- Performance ST - Adaptive CP Setup - GarageDoorOpen - Pipercross - Stock Exhaust - Mdrivers Pack - 437M Wheels
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

Comparing the JB4 and the Open Flash Tablet is apples and oranges since one is a piggyback and the other is a flash tune. If you want a piggyback then compare the Jb4 vs Procede. If you want a flash tune then compare the Open Flash vs Cobb.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
mattypp
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Boost View Post
Comparing the JB4 and the Open Flash Tablet is apples and oranges since one is a piggyback and the other is a flash tune. If you want a piggyback then compare the Jb4 vs Procede. If you want a flash tune then compare the Open Flash vs Cobb.
^This

Don't forget to add the free Opensource flashing option too!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

JB4,Cobb,Open Flash,Procede you really cant go wrong with either. They all have different features,pros and cons. But at the end of the day performance wise they can all deliver the same output.
pm me if you still have any questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s!ke View Post
Has anyone ever used the Open Flash? http://www.procedetuning.com/BMW/n54...ash/index.html

I was about to pull the trigger on a JB4, but I talked to a guy who tunes a lot of BMW's and he said to go this route.

Thoughts?

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #10
lol slow
2BRK4M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Autotragic

Yes, I have an openflash tablet and my skill level of tuning/cars is quite low, def still a noob learning the ropes. It's easy to use, easy to install and if your tuner put its on, does some test pulls, datalogs to make sure everything is butter smooth, then you can easily just forget about the tune and enjoy the car. If you ever get mods and Openflash tablet doesn't have supporting specific maps, you can always have your guy adjust the tables to correspond with your mods to find the best "custom" tune for you to run!
      10-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
s!ke
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
One thing that I liked reading from the reviews of OFT was that the power was consistent and didn't "lag" like the JB4 in some instances?

Three things that I am concerned with is: My car is still under warranty and if I ever need to take the car in for repair I want it to be invisible. It sounds like putting the JB4 in Map0 works pretty well if they ever need to run codes, but the OFT makes it sound like it's not simple to just turn it off.

Also, I heard the misfires occur more with Flash tunes than with Piggybacks. Is this true? If I have my tuner manually configure the OFT hopefully I won't have this problem?

Third, I like how the JB4 automatically adjusts to any new mods you put on your car, but it sounds like with the OFT I would need to download a new map and then take it back to my tuner? That can get pretty pricey to have him tune it all the time.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #12
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i xDrive

Quote:
One thing that I liked reading from the reviews of OFT was that the power was consistent and didn't "lag" like the JB4 in some instances?

Three things that I am concerned with is: My car is still under warranty and if I ever need to take the car in for repair I want it to be invisible. It sounds like putting the JB4 in Map0 works pretty well if they ever need to run codes, but the OFT makes it sound like it's not simple to just turn it off.

Also, I heard the misfires occur more with Flash tunes than with Piggybacks. Is this true? If I have my tuner manually configure the OFT hopefully I won't have this problem?

Third, I like how the JB4 automatically adjusts to any new mods you put on your car, but it sounds like with the OFT I would need to download a new map and then take it back to my tuner? That can get pretty pricey to have him tune it all the time.
With the jb4 to bring it in to the dealer you can leave it in map 0 but its definitely recommended to take it out especially since it takes 20 min when you get the hang of it.. With the tablet you would have to flash the car back to your stock rom file which takes about 10 min

I wouldnt be able to comment on the misfires, i changed my plugs the day before i tuned my car and its been tuned for about 3 months and havnt gotten a misfire with either tune (i had tablet and switched to the jb4)

Yeah map 5 auto tune is awesome on the jb4 it auto tunes based on mods, fuel, and many other factors and i love being able to use e85 and not have to reflash my car to do so.. The tablet was supposed to have free ots maps for different mod levels but they havnt come out yet
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #13
lol slow
2BRK4M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Autotragic

Quote:

1. You're fine, to play it safe just power up the OFT and flash your stock ROM onto the DME, you'll be bone stock and just take the OFT out of car/cable out of car and make it look un-touched. I've done with with a Cobb AP and they dealer never suspected a thing. It takes like 10 mins to flash stock rom, when you pick it up from dealer, plug it back in, flash Stage 1 map and boom you're tuned again.

2. misfire occurs a lot different ways, usually it's like spark plugs or like injectors or coil packs, usually tunes are very stable piggy back or flash so the actual tune won't cause a misfire (from what I KNOW)

3. That's correct for the time being, OFT offers only 2 maps as of right now, but the Stage 1 map can handle basic bolt on mods, I think when you do catless DP's and such, you'll need a re-tune for those. Read my mods in my signature, with all of those on Stage 1 OFT flash, my car runs very strong and smooth. Eventually I'm sure we will see full bolt on's and maybe some E85 mix maps, at least I hope...ugh.

Truth is, you don't even need a pro-tuner...save your money.
      10-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #14
CustomColours
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i SE

Quote:

Not really no. Id have yo dissagree. A tune is a tune whether it be a piggyback or not.

The aim.is power and functionality. The JB4/Proceed wins hands down.

I jad the OFT and send it bavk for refund as the car had nothing but issues running it.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #15
Garrett@Vishnu
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2K

Quote:

Thoughts?
Check out some user reviews on our website.

http://www.procedetuning.com/BMW/n54...ews/index.html
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #16
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:

With a $179 BT cable you can load the JB4 back end flash which greatly improves the JB4 operation even on pump gas. Raises torque, increases stability, etc. Technically you can also load the open flash maps with the BT cable as well if you ever want to compare them.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #17
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 E92 | N55 F15 | N55 E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com
Quote:

With a $179 BT cable you can load the JB4 back end flash which greatly improves the JB4 operation even on pump gas. Raises torque, increases stability, etc. Technically you can also load the open flash maps with the BT cable as well if you ever want to compare them.

Mike
Technically, in the read me file it states quite clearly that you should only load OpenFlash maps with the OpenFlash tablet
PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782212
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #18
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Not every tune is for everyone.

Pick one based on your goals and what you want out of it.

They all cater to different people depending on what they prioritize. If there is one thing that true for all the popular tunes it is that they all perform very similar on otherwise stock vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #19
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomColours
Quote:

Not really no. Id have yo dissagree. A tune is a tune whether it be a piggyback or not.

I jad the OFT and send it bavk for refund as the car had nothing but issues running it.
Glad I didn't buy it then ;-)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #20
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomColours View Post

IIRC, you didn't have a USDM rom. And non-US rom support was a work-in-progress not too long ago when you used the OFT.

If the OP has a US car, there is absolutely nothing that would give him trouble.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #21
CustomColours
Banned
Rep

It seem all others are fine running the oft. But for some reason my car hated it. Another of my friends has one and seems fine. Never had a hickup. But maybe as my car started life as an alpina b3 it just hated me.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #22
CustomColours
Banned
Rep

My cars rom was supported. It was i8aos. They have had that running for a long while so no reason I should have had issues. FYI
Appreciate 0