E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Turbo Replacement - Oil also replaced?

07-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
Ravina
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 f30 335i, 2007 e90 335i

Turbo Replacement - Oil also replaced?

I had my Turbos in my 335i replaced a month ago. I can see from the invoice that 1 unit of oil filter element was replaced and 7 unites of 5W-30 oil were replaced.

I'm assuming the oil has to be drained to replace turbos? All this was done a few days before warranty expired.

Now a month later my oil is leaking? I would think for sure it is related to the work done a month ago. My issue is how to approach the dealer to ensure they correct the oil leak without charging me? Shouldn't this be be pretty clear to them or will it be a challenge?

Please share you thoughts. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Same thing happened to me after they replaced mine.

Just take it in.....if it's leaking from the oil line it should be pretty obvious.

They used a scope to look at mine and saw the source of the leak immediately.

No arguments - they made good on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
Ravina
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
Same thing happened to me after they replaced mine.

Just take it in.....if it's leaking from the oil line it should be pretty obvious.

They used a scope to look at mine and saw the source of the leak immediately.

No arguments - they made good on it.
Sounds too easy, I am sure I won't have the same luck. Mine is no longer under warranty though.

On another note, they did not reset my oil change interval - shoudn't have they?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
Ravina
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravina View Post
Sounds too easy, I am sure I won't have the same luck. Mine is no longer under warranty though.

On another note, they did not reset my oil change interval - shoudn't have they?
I called today and booked an appointment. At first impression over the phone, they didn't seem to think it was necessarily related to the turbos being changed a month ago. I said it was obvious considering they changed the oil when changing the turbos.

We will see. Any advice would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 12:50 AM   #5
XJS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335iM

Oil is changed when they swap turbos. Normal procedures. And they should reset the service counter as well since they did the oil service.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I called today and booked an appointment. At first impression over the phone, they didn't seem to think it was necessarily related to the turbos being changed a month ago. I said it was obvious considering they changed the oil when changing the turbos.

We will see. Any advice would be appreciated.
If the source of the leak is a turbo oil line, they should be able to use a scope to inspect that area fairly easily and verify visually.

Mine took about a month to show up becuase the leak was small and the belly pan will catch the oil for a while before it gets large enough to puddle under the car.

In my case, it never puddled.

In fact my HPFP failed and I took it to a different dealer than the one who replaced by turbos.

They spotted the leak and informed me of it......but they refused to fix the work of the other dealer.

I then called the original dealer that swapped the turbos and they repaired the oil line no problem.

Best just to let the dealer do a visual inspection to verify the source of the leak. If it's not the turbos, then you will want to know what the source of the leak really is.

Alternatively, you can jack the car and remove the belly pan and try to eyeball the turbo oil lines yourself - but there will be a lot of exhaust piping in the way which will make it tough to see.

That is why my dealer used a scope to get in between all the obstructions and get a clear view of the problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
If the source of the leak is a turbo oil line, they should be able to use a scope to inspect that area fairly easily and verify visually.

Mine took about a month to show up becuase the leak was small and the belly pan will catch the oil for a while before it gets large enough to puddle under the car.

In my case, it never puddled.

In fact my HPFP failed and I took it to a different dealer than the one who replaced by turbos.

They spotted the leak and informed me of it......but they refused to fix the work of the other dealer.

I then called the original dealer that swapped the turbos and they repaired the oil line no problem.

Best just to let the dealer do a visual inspection to verify the source of the leak. If it's not the turbos, then you will want to know what the source of the leak really is.

Alternatively, you can jack the car and remove the belly pan and try to eyeball the turbo oil lines yourself - but there will be a lot of exhaust piping in the way which will make it tough to see.

That is why my dealer used a scope to get in between all the obstructions and get a clear view of the problem.
Good advice.. Just dealer it and see what they say. Its probably related.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
Ravina
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Dealer will not take responsibility for oil leak

Took my car in to dealer to have oil leak repaired which occurred right after turbos were repaired. The dealer will not take responsibility, they said that gasket and oil pan need to be replaced for $1,000. They said neither of these parts would have been touched during the oil change and replacement of turbos.

Seems very fishy that they won't take responsibility considering the leak started right after the service.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #9
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
They said neither of these parts would have been touched during the oil change and replacement of turbos.
That is technically correct, but an oil pan leak should have been easy for you to spot if you had taken the belly pan off and inspected.

I think what they are telling you is plausible, but I guess if they are really dishonest and the leak was actually coming from the turbo oil line, then they could be cooking up a story to get some money out of you.

Why don't you just pull off the belly pan and inspect the oil pan area to verify?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #10
JunkStory
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 8V RS3

Quote:
Took my car in to dealer to have oil leak repaired which occurred right after turbos were repaired. The dealer will not take responsibility, they said that gasket and oil pan need to be replaced for $1,000. They said neither of these parts would have been touched during the oil change and replacement of turbos.

Seems very fishy that they won't take responsibility considering the leak started right after the service.

Any thoughts?
Even though they changed the oil, it should not affect the oil pan and gasket. Oil comes out of the drain hole, and new oil goes from the top...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 09:39 AM   #11
MeanMangoMan
German Spitz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92 Sport

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Take off the under plastic and check it out yourself. It takes 10 minutes!
*Lexen LED Plate Lights/Black AutoTecknic Grille
Appreciate 0