E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Why are our turbos so quiet?

07-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #67
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Man View Post
Never said I was an expert when it came to n54's but I do know that the purpose of a blow off valve is to release excess boost pressure from the intake system when the throttle plate is closed. And I know that without a bov or dv the built up pressure will be forced back through the turbo causing it stall. From what I've gathered on the forum the stock diverter valves may or may not leak over time when running higher boost than stock and I'd rather be safe than sorry. Also it is ALOT CHEAPER to just upgrade your DV or get a BOV than it is to replace your turbos...

Nice edit btw lol
Well I edited it b/c I didnt wanna hurt ur feelings calling you an "expert"..but since you wanna act like a douche.. here it is you dont know what your talking bout..k?

Now your lumping DVs w BOVs?? BOV does nothing for performance..only vents air for sound..DV recirculate air and when your boosted it MAY be necessary to upgrade to better DVs that can hold boost...again no performance gains..you have to run one or the other.. compressor surge is a non-issue..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 11:11 PM   #68
Young_Man
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

If your dv's cant hold the boost and you go with a bov or better dv's how is it buying them just for sound if you NEED one or the other to keep stress off your turbos? Is there something in the N54 handbook that says you must replace your dv's with better dv's when upping the boost? If blow off valves were just for sound I don't think some of the fastest n54 powered vehicles would be running them.

And just so you know, you won't hurt my feelings lol. I'm always up for a good debate.

Edit: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426286 This car is a perfect example. I guess he just likes hearing the sound...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 11:20 PM   #69
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

No there are tons of people running high boost..w just the stock DVs and they hold boost fine..and some like me run upgraded DVs for good measure and some who run BOV to just vent the air..Maybe your wording or english was poor but this is what you wrote

Quote:
Even a BOV isn't a mod to make a sound... It does serve a purpose.
My point is that a BOV's purpose IS to make a sound..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #70
Young_Man
Lieutenant
Rep

I meant what I typed. I was saying that basically it isn't JUST to make sound and it serves basically the same purpose as a DV. Yeah a bov can be loud but at the end of the day a dv and a bov will do the same thing. I guess with the n54 it just comes down to personal preference...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 11:27 PM   #71
JBax
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post

incorrect...the sound is a byproduct of its real purpose which is as a pressure release system to prevent compressor surge

that is like saying that an exhaust systems primary purpose is to make sound.
JB4, Alufelgen SF-71, DCI, VRSF DPs, Meth, AR Meth Elbow, AWE BOVs, Catless Exhaust, BMS OCC, ETS FMIC, ECS Strut Bar, ER Engine Cover, M Sport Steering Wheel Trim, LEDs, 20% Tint, Macht Schnell Spacers, ACS Roof Spoiler, ACS Pedals, ACS E-Brake Handle, Blacklines, M3 Steering Wheel w/DCT Paddles, Gunmetal Kidneys, Black Finisher Rods

Last edited by JBax; 07-27-2011 at 11:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 11:41 PM   #72
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBax View Post
incorrect...the sound is a byproduct of its real purpose which is as a pressure release system to prevent compressor surge

that is like saying that an exhaust systems primary purpose is to make sound.
LOL...I meant realtive to DV..they both are meant to vent pressure obviously..why one would choose a BOV over a DV is purely for the sound..

this is just word smithing and I think we are all on the same page here..i think
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 11:48 PM   #73
JBax
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
this is just word smithing and I think we are all on the same page here..i think
It's late (here on east coast anyway)...who knows at this point
JB4, Alufelgen SF-71, DCI, VRSF DPs, Meth, AR Meth Elbow, AWE BOVs, Catless Exhaust, BMS OCC, ETS FMIC, ECS Strut Bar, ER Engine Cover, M Sport Steering Wheel Trim, LEDs, 20% Tint, Macht Schnell Spacers, ACS Roof Spoiler, ACS Pedals, ACS E-Brake Handle, Blacklines, M3 Steering Wheel w/DCT Paddles, Gunmetal Kidneys, Black Finisher Rods
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #74
shazzy04
Lieutenant Colonel
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '15 F22 M235i

Mods coming soon
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #75
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Wow times have sure changed, or reversed I should say.....

I come on this forum now for entertainment purposes and B*********t.com for technical threads now.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #76
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
Wow times have sure changed, or reversed I should say.....

I come on this forum now for entertainment purposes and B*********t.com for technical threads now.
The only reason that this forum is becoming a free for all is because there is an entire lack of moderator intervention. Where the f*** are they? The personal attacks consume 50% of any given thread.

I believe there are several of us out there who aim to post factual and relevant information, as I attempted to do with this thread, but in order to find it one must sift through 5 pages of trash. No wonder nobody searches for anything.. its easier to just ask a question and hope someone serious sees it before the riff raff does.

|| Vorsteiner FF-103 || BMS JB4 || Meisterschaft GTC || RPI || IND || Challenge ||
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #77
Big Tom
Banned
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i n54 e92 MT

Here's my little ricer:

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 07:07 PM   #78
turb0mik3
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Racecar

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
This discussion gave me a good chuckle. Thanks guys...

First off, you can't hear your turbo because you probably aren't running 16psi+. I don't know about you other guys, but my 430whp car makes A LOT of turbo sound, even above the borla race exhaust and BOV (well from inside the cockpit at least).

For example, here is a video of my car from 60mph roll in 3rd. You can hear the bov, but it isn't gawdy, just a quick release to the atmosphere. And in addition, even through the relatively loud exhaust you can here the hissing of the turbo. So, there ya go... I think it sounds very professional and race'ish.' This didn't have much to do with my decision, but I HATED the whine the car gave after a hard shift with the DVs. Felt like my car had asthma, haha.

Quote:
LOL...I meant realtive to DV..they both are meant to vent pressure obviously..why one would choose a BOV over a DV is purely for the sound..
I personally just think, in principle, it is more work to recirculate air then to just blow it off in the atmosphere. Most of the kids here on the forums go for HKS or other obnoxious. The BOV was one of the last modifications I did to my car when I was running more boost. It does bug when people throw em' on just for kicks.

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #79
drfrink24
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

This has pretty good sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9cWb6WQn8Y
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 12:50 AM   #80
ScorpionT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i, SL65

Quote:
No there are tons of people running high boost..w just the stock DVs and they hold boost fine..and some like me run upgraded DVs for good measure and some who run BOV to just vent the air..Maybe your wording or english was poor but this is what you wrote

Incorrect.

Quote:
I meant what I typed. I was saying that basically it isn't JUST to make sound and it serves basically the same purpose as a DV. Yeah a bov can be loud but at the end of the day a dv and a bov will do the same thing. I guess with the n54 it just comes down to personal preference...
Correct.

A recirculating DV is generally used on cars that run a MAF system. Venting metered air to the atmosphere will cause a sudden rich condition and the motor will stumble. A BOV is the simplest type and is more common on vehicles that use speed density metering, rather than a MAF. A DV really doesnt provide any performance benefit over a BOV, but can add some complexity to the system.

In the case of the N55, the compressor cover has the valve built in. When it comes to the N54, the valves are plastic and made by Bosch. They are known to fail, especially on a more modified car. Replacing them with an aftermarket part might not give horsepower gains, but when you get into higher boost conditions they will be much more reliable. They are less likely to leak or fail altogether.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 06:05 AM   #81
kdiggz
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tom View Post
Here's my little ricer:

haha i always knew big tom was a ricer at heart

the next popular mod is going to be the big tom fart can exhaust: