E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Low Voltage @ Water Pump

11-13-2016, 09:18 AM   #1
d17bmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i Coupe

Question Low Voltage @ Water Pump

Hello All! First time poster.

Car: 2007 BMW 328i (Stock)

Repairs (since I've owned): Water Pump (x2), Thermostat (x2), Power Distribution Box, Oil Sensor

In Oct. this year (during Hurricane Matthew) I was forced to drive down a residential street to get home through about 6 - 8 inches of fresh water. After this I have had several problems but can not locate the source.

First issue that arose was that after I got home, about an hour after I parked the car in the garage I went back into the garage and noticed that a fan was running (probably the radiator?), didn't think much of it as I remember it doing that a few times on hot days.

Next morning, hop in, try to start, DEAD. Got a jump (from the front plugs) and it started right up (showed RED STEERING LOCK). Checked the oil (habit) and it showed INACTIVE (I thought this odd). Drove down the street a ~mile, YELLOW FLUID TEMP LIGHT, then 2 secs later, RED FLUID TEMP LIGHT, shut it down. Waited a bit and drove home, parked in garage.

As this happened last year (yellow and red lights, and bad pump), I replaced the pump and thermostat. I thought this was the same issue. So I ordered a new Pierburg pump and thermostat. After replacing those, I start the bleed process, and to my surprise the pump never kicks on (top hose hot bottom output hose cold).

I check all connections and at the plug for the pump I'm reading 7v on Pin 3 (normal) and the rest are reading no voltage. After this I checked and thought it was the Power Distribution Box. Ordered and replaced this. Checked all fuses and relays. All good!

Still receiving the 1, 2, 4 Pins as no voltage (PIN 4, ground).

Any ideas?

I'm ready to give up. I hate paying for diagnosing issues BTW. If I really have to I will, but thought I'd get opinions first.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0