E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Differences between PE and stock exhaust?

01-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #1
meangeenvr
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi

Differences between PE and stock exhaust?

06 330xi

After some research, i realized the the major differences are:

1. PE has a deleted resonator
2. Muffler internals must be different since the dimensions are same as stock. Is it a "gutted" stock muffler?

I love the sound of the PE over any other aftermarket exhaust. That is what i'm after (music to my ears).

Any details on internals of the PE exhaust? I am not wealthy enough to buy cheap parts. I always aim for OEM+, but in this particular case i'm weary of spending $1000 on a PE exhaust if all i'm getting is a Y pipe with a deleted resonator, a gutted muffler... i'd rather save $800 and modify the stock exhaust.

Any input? Am i missing anything?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #2
SDemetris
FSAE Dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

I would get a Y-pipe and have it put in instead of the resonator.. There are people with videos of that mod on here and youtube im sure.. If that doesnt get you quite where you want, gutting the muffler partially might do the trick. if you dont want to do that, exhaust shops have a variety of mufflers with single inlet/duel outlet that would work on our car. depending on how handy you are you could try to fab up some stuff or just have them take care of all the welding.. But if youre looking to save money, i would say not to get the PE and instead do a more custom setup. will save you hundreds and will achieve the same or at least very similar sound

1985 Gazelle Beige 325e: Poly everything, e24 3.25 LSD, 225 lb weight reduction, Corbeau FX1, Shifter machined by me, roll bar, harness, all the other goodies. My "Racecar"...15x7 BBS RA
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 06:19 PM   #3
Johnny D
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [9.16]
Internals of the performance exhaust is perforated where the stock is not.

01-19-2014, 06:22 PM   #4
meangeenvr
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the input. That's my plan. Watched the videos that had the resonator removed, with stock muffler in place and sound just was not the same as the PE (no raspy crackling, which is what I like in the PE). I wish there was a cut out of one to compare to stock
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 06:27 PM   #5
meangeenvr
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thank you Johnny D. As i suspected. I guess my goal is this (concept wise):

http://http://i479.photobucket.com/a...d/IMG_1145.jpg

or this

http://www.beastpower.com/p/bmw/supe...ust/SUP-789006

Last edited by meangeenvr; 01-19-2014 at 07:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 07:05 PM   #6
Xpander
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: N51,LCI,M-Sport,6MT

There is also a weight difference. I weighed the PE to be about 11lbs lighter.
      01-19-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
meangeenvr
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpander View Post
There is also a weight difference. I weighed the PE to be about 11lbs lighter.
I'm guessing that is due to the free flow design of the muffler... so, if you gut a stock system and run two perforated pipes through it, a stock system should come close to PE in both weight and performance.

I'm sure the PE is worth $1k, but i can't spend that when $200-$300 will essentially convert my stock exhaust in to a PE.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #8
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

You guys will spend 1K for sound? Wow, I'm doing something wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #9
meangeenvr
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
There are factual performance gains from a OE PE, and most aftermarket systems are $1k and above. I'm not sure i'm following you

P.S. And this thread is precisely about not spending $1k

Looks like i did not invent the wheel. After more research, it turns someone was "mass producing" this way. It was called the MMW CS.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 12:52 AM   #10
DJ.E92
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I would never spend 1K on an exhaust.
The price to performance gain ratio is way off.

OP have you thought of res + muffler delete?
      01-20-2014, 02:48 AM   #11
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Yes, the PE is essentially a Y Pipe to delete the res + muffler with very different internals.

No need to pay $1k - you can find them used in good shape on the forum for $700-$800 (I actually got one for $650 shipped).

The PE Y Pipe is NOT sold separately, so not gonna get one of those unless you can find one used on the forum. It is very rare to find just a used Y-pipe FS, & even then they want $250+ for one...

You could just have an exhaust shop wack out the res form your stock midpipes and replace with a welded section of straight pipe then go with an aftermarket muffler such as Magnaflow.

The MMW muffler was essentially a gutted stock muffler. He would cut the muffler apart at the seam, do whatever he did to the internals, then weld it back together - he never did say exactly what he did to the internals.

If what you are looking for is an obnoxiously loud exhaust, with tons of drone - then by all means cut out the res & delete the muffler. I myself am way past the age/days of the 'hey look at me' exhaust setups such as this. More liking the classic refined sound.
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 05:34 AM   #12
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangeenvr View Post
There are factual performance gains from a OE PE, and most aftermarket systems are $1k and above. I'm not sure i'm following you

P.S. And this thread is precisely about not spending $1k

Looks like i did not invent the wheel. After more research, it turns someone was "mass producing" this way. It was called the MMW CS.
I spent $1000 on an exhaust for sound! Well, $899+ shipping. I am very happy with the sound. Not quite, not obnoxious. Just right.

I looked into other options before buying, including cutting open and changing the stock muffler myself. I listened to the MMW CS exhaust and it just sounds like something I wouldn't be happy with.

I have seen post here of people going with other than a PE exhaust.....and then getting a PE exhaust. I don't think I have seen anyone get a PE and then get a different exhaust later.

I found a video of a guy that had both MMW CS and PE, he said they were both very good and he really liked them equally and kept playing up how the MMW sounded comparable in every way to the PE but was just a little deeper and throaty........of course he was trying to sell his MMW.

Do what you want, but for me it came down to figuring that I'd probably always be thinking....'I should have went with the PE' if I had gotten anything else. I love it when it's making its noise and I love that it is almost same as stock on the freeway. Perfect blend you will not get accidentally by gutting out a stock muffler.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #13
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

I spent 1k for sound. So? I don't regret it at all, I've spend a lot more on a lot worse.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #14
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep
Drives: real slow

The way the PE transformed the driving experience of my car was will worth the money.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #15
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

I need to find a way to make money off people like you guys.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 04:25 PM   #16
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Well, in my case, I'm 53, all (3) of our kids are grown/graduated college, & gone, Both my wife & I have very good paying jobs, house is paid for, and it's just me & the wife.

So I have a lot of xtra$$ to spend on toys & my hobby is modifying any car I own
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #17
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder
Rep
Drives: AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom
Sell an exhaust that sounds like the PE.

Not everyone is looking for the cheapest option, and some are OEM or DIE about these cars, regardless of "performance".
      01-20-2014, 05:57 PM   #18
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Quote:
I got mine years ago... at the time, I was sure it was an insane purchase. My previous 2002 wrx wagon that I had for 6 yrs and 125,000 miles I spent about that on a hi flow down pipe and borla cat back. The car before that was a 93 Firebird Formula 6 speed LT1... A 3" cat, headers and 5 different cat backs before I finally found the right sound lol (I sold every exhaust for a near zero loss).

With my p.e. I have no regrets. After all these years it still sounds so damn satisfying. In the winter I drive with the driver rear window cracked and sunroof tilted up if it's not super cold. In the summer, if I'm not wearing a suit for work and need the a/c to remain sweat free, the windows are down and the sunroof is cracked. It just has the perfect sports car sound, I love it.

Even better, when I'm at the track, with an instructor riding along, we obviously wear mic in our helmets. The ,ic picks up the exhaust sound bouncing off the wall in pit lane heading onto the track, it's simply amazing the sound.

At this point I've had the exhaust for what, 4 years, maybe more? That's $250/yr... less money that I spend on my gym membership.... less that a dollar a day! For so much enjoyment. And this car will be mine, or remain in my family forever.

Keeping the car for a while? Go for it!

Don't plan on keeping the car for a while? Buy it, install it properly and keep the stock sewing machine sounding exhaust and sell the p.e. separately when you part with the car. You'll recoup a good chunk.
      01-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #19
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder
Rep
Drives: AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
I got mine years ago... at the time, I was sure it was an insane purchase. My previous 2002 wrx wagon that I had for 6 yrs and 125,000 miles I spent about that on a hi flow down pipe and borla cat back. The car before that was a 93 Firebird Formula 6 speed LT1... A 3" cat, headers and 5 different cat backs before I finally found the right sound lol (I sold every exhaust for a near zero loss).

With my p.e. I have no regrets. After all these years it still sounds so damn satisfying. In the winter I drive with the driver rear window cracked and sunroof tilted up if it's not super cold. In the summer, if I'm not wearing a suit for work and need the a/c to remain sweat free, the windows are down and the sunroof is cracked. It just has the perfect sports car sound, I love it.

Even better, when I'm at the track, with an instructor riding along, we obviously wear mic in our helmets. The ,ic picks up the exhaust sound bouncing off the wall in pit lane heading onto the track, it's simply amazing the sound.

At this point I've had the exhaust for what, 4 years, maybe more? That's $250/yr... less money that I spend on my gym membership.... less that a dollar a day! For so much enjoyment. And this car will be mine, or remain in my family forever.

Don't plan on keeping the car for a while? Buy it, install it properly and keep the stock sewing machine sounding exhaust and sell the p.e. separately when you part with the car. You'll recoup a good chunk.
You should work for BMW, this makes makes me almost want to try one out.

And a freakin love my AA exhaust haha. Exhaust's aside... theres just something about that I6 engine that just sounds like nothing I have heard before!!

01-20-2014, 10:17 PM   #20
meangeenvr
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Great reading your posts guys

Here is the plan so far:

1. Cut the OE exhaust right before the resonator and put it to the side

2. Run 2.25 OE diameter in to 2.5 diameter Y pipe (i want the gases to flow as smooth as possible considering the hack job):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200908064622...84.m1423.l2649

3. Run custom 2.5 (depending on price) or use stock pipe from Y pipe to this (unimpeded flow with mesh internal pipe):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260841897224...84.m1423.l2648

Gutting the OE muffler is not worth the effort considering the price on the above muffler.

I want to install the muffler with the outlet towards the front (facing driver side), and the inlet to the bumper (facing passenger side), then spin it 45ish degrees clock wise (while facing towards the front of the car)... that way i should see the least impeded flow.
Basically, same geometry as here:

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/1365/pic2c.jpg

4. Have not decided on tips yet, but might just run 4" single outlet. Something simple. Don't care. Cheap ideas welcome... nothing chromed or shiny please... no rolled edges... PE style tips/tip

I managed to locate a very good welder in VA (according to sources). Will get a quote on the labor. I like clean welds and proper fitment, so hopefully this will turn out nice.

The mystery is the price on the custom pipe from the Y pipe to the muffler. Might end up using the OE section if it's too expensive to fabricate.

To sum it up:

Parts are $70 (not including section in step 3 if i go the custom route) and labor will not be more than $230 ($300 is my overall cap for this project).

I'll keep you guys updated if anyone is interested!

Cheers!

Last edited by meangeenvr; 01-20-2014 at 10:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 10:28 PM   #21
meangeenvr
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanize View Post
You should work for BMW, this makes makes me almost want to try one out.

And a freakin love my AA exhaust haha. Exhaust's aside... theres just something about that I6 engine that just sounds like nothing I have heard before!!

The sweetest sound i have heard to date is that of a Corrado VR6 (or any mk3)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 10:33 PM   #22
meangeenvr
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post

If I had the $$$ and had plans to keep the car, I would not think twice. Priorities have shifted overall in the past 2 years, so i'm trying to do the best with what i have... without involving duct tape in to any of my "projects", although it did get me home once in my younger days. A must have in any Corrado trunk
Appreciate 0