E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > E92 pre lci led ring upgrade

08-09-2014, 09:02 AM   #1
RSP92
Rep
Drives: E92

E92 pre lci led ring upgrade

Hi,thinking of taking my headlights apart and installing a set of these http://store.ijdmtoy.com/CREE-LED-An...o.htm?CartID=1
Anyone on here got any experience with these rings or maybe a suggestion for a better product ?
The aim is to get something close to the lci look,and as i prefer the pre lci front i'm thinking a retrofit of led rings would be the best option ?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSP92 View Post
Hi,thinking of taking my headlights apart and installing a set of these http://store.ijdmtoy.com/CREE-LED-An...o.htm?CartID=1
Anyone on here got any experience with these rings or maybe a suggestion for a better product ?
The aim is to get something close to the lci look,and as i prefer the pre lci front i'm thinking a retrofit of led rings would be the best option ?
Thanks
FYI you will have to remove your bumper, open the headlight assembly and install it.
If you have never done this before, i do not suggest you try it (because it is a pain). If you are looking to get someone else to do it, labor is going to cost you 200-300$.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 05:05 AM   #3
RSP92
Rep

Thanks Mike,but done a few headlights before and really,it's not difficult at all.I know some people try and make it sound like rocket science but i'll bet that if you try it you'll agree with me that it's really not that difficult.
But this was more to see if anybody had any experience with these rings ? Or maybe a better alternative ?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
JaysBlueE92
Mr. Monaco
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow..

Garage List
2007 E92  [5.00]
While it's not really rocket science, the e92 headlights are not the easiest to work on either. Even if you've done a few before. Not sure about the cree led upgrade but you should do some more research. A few other companys out there offering rings that are easily comparable and have longer LED life.

Here's a pic of my set for reference but like i said do some digging

08-13-2014, 07:50 AM   #5
RSP92
Rep

Hi Jay,thanks for the reply and that looks great.Where did you get your rings from ? The ones i linked to is a no-go as i found out they only offer a 90 day warranty...Don't really want to do all that work to fit something the seller has so little faith in...
I'd agree with you that they are not the easiest to work on but helped a colleague a few years ago getting some ccfl rings in he's headlights and that really wasn't any more difficult than any other headlight i've had apart.
Could you point me in the direction i need to look ?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #6
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

Does The Retrofit Source have rings in the correct diameter?

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/led...l#.U-tjRvmK8wA

I've not used them, but have seen them on several cars and they look nice. I've been by their warehouse and they fired up a set and they're pretty bright. Not as popular for BMW's I think because they're full circles, but it seems that's the look you're going for. 5 year warranty - but honestly the warranty isn't the issue. The annoying part as you know would be opening your lights again.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #7
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Quote:
Thanks
Those look pretty good, I would say give them a shot. The idea of directly lighting the ends of the rings with high-power emitters is the same as what BMW does with it's new cars. So you'd get a more OEM look than the backlit rings using a ton of individual emitters.

Only downside is that they're both full rings, which the E92 doesn't have. That said, since there's no electronics in those rings, you could just cut them down to shape.

Those are cool, I say go for it.
      08-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #8
JaysBlueE92
Mr. Monaco
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow..

Garage List
2007 E92  [5.00]
Quote:
Hi Jay,thanks for the reply and that looks great.Where did you get your rings from ? The ones i linked to is a no-go as i found out they only offer a 90 day warranty...Don't really want to do all that work to fit something the seller has so little faith in...
I'd agree with you that they are not the easiest to work on but helped a colleague a few years ago getting some ccfl rings in he's headlights and that really wasn't any more difficult than any other headlight i've had apart.
Could you point me in the direction i need to look ?
Have a look here: http://www.liteangels.co.uk/
http://www.luceprodukt.com/e/led_ring_kits.asp

Should be good to go once you decide the style you prefer
      08-18-2014, 05:42 AM   #9
RSP92
Rep

Thanks for the links guys,and i agree,it's not the length of the warranty that bothers me as such.It's just that a seller that only warrants his product for 90 days must know it's pretty s..t quality...
But thanks again guys,that has given me a few ideas
Appreciate 0