E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > 4chan is on a rampage

12-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #45
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mklimis View Post
VISA and Mastercard are publicly traded companies. A company deciding whom to do business with based on the interest of a small group or government is fundamentally wrong on many levels. Not to mention a governments ability to silence those they cannot defeat in court with intimidation and technological extortion. Anonymous is fighting what they have for a long time, Censorship and Net Neutrality.

Wikileaks is just a messenger and not the culprit. So why are we shooting the messenger?
I don't have stock in any of these companies. I use them as they are widely accepted forms of payment, but beyond that I'm unaffected. They can absolutely act in the interest of a small group - that small group is themselves and their shareholders. Pressure from the government, interest groups, lobbyists, whatever it is, they are free to make their own decisions on who to do business with. The reasoning behind which is only relevant to those with something to lose from it, the employees and shareholders. Being publicly traded doesn't change anything, no one is forcing you to invest in them.

If they had been successful in causing the financial disruption they intended to, anonymous would've effectively "censored" millions of individuals and businesses right to conduct business at their own will, under a mutually agreed upon contract for payment. Their reasoning behind these hacks contradicts their entire purpose. When a member of anonymous or 4chan successfully runs their own international micro-lending institution, they can do so as they see fit.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 09:07 PM   #46
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Any other IT nerds out there find it funny that the same guy who asks why 4Chan is still up - is talking about how DoS attacks aren't complicated to do? :P

Can I get a link to the Anarchists Cookbook?
found a link on google for you. i read it as a word document like 10+ years ago.

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/pdfs/...okbook2000.pdf
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 09:44 PM   #47
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
found a link on google for you. i read it as a word document like 10+ years ago.

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/pdfs/...okbook2000.pdf
I was kidding :P but thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 10:19 PM   #48
mklimis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Italian and German

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
I don't have stock in any of these companies. I use them as they are widely accepted forms of payment, but beyond that I'm unaffected. They can absolutely act in the interest of a small group - that small group is themselves and their shareholders. Pressure from the government, interest groups, lobbyists, whatever it is, they are free to make their own decisions on who to do business with. The reasoning behind which is only relevant to those with something to lose from it, the employees and shareholders. Being publicly traded doesn't change anything, no one is forcing you to invest in them.
I simply pointed that out because you referred to those companies on the first page as private and thus somehow justifying their actions. Private entities are allowed to support whatever the fuck they want
I'm sorry that you see nothing wrong with how these companies are handeling this agenda.

Quote:
If they had been successful in causing the financial disruption they intended to, anonymous would've effectively "censored" millions of individuals and businesses right to conduct business at their own will, under a mutually agreed upon contract for payment.
Anonymous targeted online transactions and the corporate domains. I don't believe they attacked or wanted to disrupt the use of the network that handles authorization of credit card charges for retail applications.

Anonymous is trying to punish these financial institutions by hurting them where it counts, their wallets. As a biproduct of such actions, consumers may be limited in spending power for the time being but surely it is a small price to pay to insure that you can spend your money where you please as you please.

Quote:
Their reasoning behind these hacks contradicts their entire purpose. When a member of anonymous or 4chan successfully runs their own international micro-lending institution, they can do so as they see fit.
Their reasoning of supporting Net Neutrality?
Their reasoning of fighting Censorship?
Their reasoning of not condoning the actions of governments taken against Wikileaks to stop the spread of "embarrassing" documents?

"Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise."
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #49
bmwmthree
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
clearly there are some capable individuals there...all they needed was a little direction...
they're probably using their work's servers so i wouldn't say "talented," more like resourceful.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #50
bmwmthree
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity View Post
No they don't lol. DoS attacks aren't exactly "complicated" to do. It's just sending a bunch of junk and overloading the servers. But I'll tell you know, a Multi-billion dollar financial institution sure-the-fuck is going to find where these 4Chan hackers are coming from and most likely arrest them.
exactly.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 10:48 PM   #51
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I simply pointed that out because you referred to those companies on the first page as private and thus somehow justifying their actions. Private entities are allowed to support whatever the fuck they want
I'm sorry that you see nothing wrong with how these companies are handeling this agenda.
I don't. They can make whatever decisions they fell are best for them. Based upon these, I will make up my own mind about whether or not I will still use them. At this point I will. Just because a company is publicly traded does not mean they are not a private company. Public = gov't, private = else.

Quote:
Anonymous targeted online transactions and the corporate domains. I don't believe they attacked or wanted to disrupt the use of the network that handles authorization of credit card charges for retail applications.

Anonymous is trying to punish these financial institutions by hurting them where it counts, their wallets. As a biproduct of such actions, consumers may be limited in spending power for the time being but surely it is a small price to pay to insure that you can spend your money where you please as you please.
If they are trying to hurt their wallets, they are attacking every transaction, for which the companies reap a small (believe 1.5% give or take) fee for. I am not defending the companies' decisions, rather their right to make it. I actually agree with both of anon's missions, but I will not condone their actions. Part of allowing net neutrality is letting entities with their own agenda, good or bad, act within said agenda, and not have to worry about a band of self righteous hackers jamming shit up.

It's like this - If you're mad enough at your car, you don't buy the same one one. If you're mad enough at your credit company, you don't use them again.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #52
mklimis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I am not defending the companies' decisions, rather their right to make it. I actually agree with both of anon's missions, but I will not condone their actions. Part of allowing net neutrality is letting entities with their own agenda, good or bad, act within said agenda, and not have to worry about a band of self righteous hackers jamming shit up.
Your arguement doesn't make sense.

Censorship is suppression of speech or other communication which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or inconvenient to the general body of people as determined by a government, media outlet, or other controlling body.

Government censorship = Supported by Credit Card Company X = is still censorship.

That's like you saying that you are against a company scamming its employees but support the company's right to do it for personal gain or agenda. And then if they don't like it then they can find another employer.

Quote:
It's like this - If you're mad enough at your car, you don't buy the same one one. If you're mad enough at your credit company, you don't use them again.

No. Those are very poor analogies.

How about this, let's say that VISA and MASTERCARD say that they will no longer do business in the area of Lakeview CHICAGO and Wrigley Field because this area is referred to as "Boystown" and they do not want to been seen as supporting or condoning any gay activities.

Not everyone has the luxury of switching credit cards so easily. Even if all these people could what if the rest of those few credit card companies do the same?

"Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise."
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #53
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

Collins what is the source of your signature...is there a longer vid to it? that dude looks like he's seriously hurt after getting shoved like that..lol

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #54
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
clearly there are some capable individuals there...all they needed was a little direction...

now if only they good hack BMWFS and make the rest of my loan go away
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmthree View Post
they're probably using their work's servers so i wouldn't say "talented," more like resourceful.
They're using LOIC. It's not hard, it doesn't take talent, and it doesn't mean they're particularly capable.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #55
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Government censorship = Supported by Credit Card Company X = is still censorship.
Companies make politically motivated decisions all the time, as well they should. It's a very real consideration. And AFAIK the official statements cited terms of violation use similar to what Amazon stated.

Quote:

How about this, let's say that VISA and MASTERCARD say that they will no longer do business in the area of Lakeview CHICAGO and Wrigley Field because this area is referred to as "Boystown" and they do not want to been seen as supporting or condoning any gay activities.
Well this is a poor analogy too. Not only is Boystown a very specific part in Lakeview, but not everyone who lives there is guaranteed to be gay, rather homosexuality prevails at a higher rate than elsewhere in the city, where homosexuality exists as well.

On the contrary, wikileaks is (was?) a very specific target, with questionable dealings and a history of negative perception. Sort of like people with bad credit. Credit cards won't authorize one with bad credit - they would be a bad customer. Wikileaks also became a bad customer, so they cut it off.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #56
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
Collins what is the source of your signature...is there a longer vid to it? that dude looks like he's seriously hurt after getting shoved like that..lol
I havent been able to find it, it appeared on Tosh and he got up after but idk where the original vid is, pretty sure the gif is sped up to appear much worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
They're using LOIC. It's not hard, it doesn't take talent, and it doesn't mean they're particularly capable.
Im really scared of what you could do if you were mad at a company or person
      12-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #57
mklimis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Companies make politically motivated decisions all the time, as well they should. It's a very real consideration. And AFAIK the official statements cited terms of violation use similar to what Amazon stated.

Well this is a poor analogy too. Not only is Boystown a very specific part in Lakeview, but not everyone who lives there is guaranteed to be gay, rather homosexuality prevails at a higher rate than elsewhere in the city, where homosexuality exists as well.

On the contrary, wikileaks is (was?) a very specific target, with questionable dealings and a history of negative perception. Sort of like people with bad credit. Credit cards won't authorize one with bad credit - they would be a bad customer. Wikileaks also became a bad customer, so they cut it off.

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #58
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Or because you have no rebuttal. Thank you, come again.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #59
mklimis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Or because you have no rebuttal. Thank you, come again.
Haha I just don't have the energy anymore to argue with you

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 05:57 PM   #60
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Haha I just don't have the energy anymore to argue with you
That didn't take much, you just started. TBH I was pissed you bumped this I gotta better things to do posting in lolpic thread
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #61
mklimis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That didn't take much, you just started. TBH I was pissed you bumped this I gotta better things to do posting in lolpic thread
I do enjoy the LOL Pic thread

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #62
brocken
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

What's really stupid about the attack is their motivation is because of "censorship"...
I guarantee you the services that were pulled because that knob violated terms of service.

Leaking classified information is treason. Even if some guy feels he is entitled to sharing that information. It's very simple, it's called a LAW.

And the low tech denial of service is created by a bunch of nuthugger lemmings.
If you actually wanted to stand for something and fight for the freedom of speech "you're doing it wrong!"

And I find it really funny that somebody correlated this even to our Nation's revolution...
There's a principal of freedom worth fighting for in the right situation... and then there's a bunch of halfcocked morons looking for an excuse to vent their nerd frustration.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #63
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
I agree. People need to grow up.....
+1234567890
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #64
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
but this is the first thing they have saw anything out to completion...point being, that they have matured from sharing porn and beating level 13...

nothing is impossible in this world from a person who is motivated and given the necessary resources and time...

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 11:12 PM   #65
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
but this is the first thing they have saw anything out to completion...point being, that they have matured from sharing porn and beating level 13...

nothing is impossible in this world from a person who is motivated and given the necessary resources and time...
They did ruin the life of Dusty the cat's tormenter.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 11:46 PM   #66
Mighty M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Jerez/FR Manual

Anonoymous / 4chan is awesome. Much win. Go dudes go!