E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Quaife Diff: Power to the Pavement, Another Testimonial

10-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #1
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quaife Diff: Power to the Pavement, Another Testimonial

Hey guys,

I originally posted this in my regional forum, but I thought to share it with those who might be sitting on the fence about a differential swap. If anyone has any misgivings about a diff install, that is what BMW would have you believe...that way more M3s are sold.

However, installing a diff, any kind of diff, is as much a safety issue as it is a performance enhancer! I would highly recommend this mod before anything else for the 335i. Why? Performance bang for the buck.

Better tires, intake, exhaust, ecu upgrade.....NOTHING, if you can't transfer that power to the pavement efficiently, economically, and FORCEFULLY!!!

Hence, my testimonial,

QUAIFE: Power to the Pavement!

Or:

Any Diff Over the Open Diff Makes a Big Diff!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310689

Quaife diff installed!--First Impressions!

The Quaife Diff Install

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on my Quaife differential installation. Back in November 2008, I researched diffs enough to purchase the Quaife w/3.08 gearing for my 6MT 2007 SG e90 335i from Harold at HPAutowerks for an unbelievably good price at the time, but couldn't get around to having it installed until now, due to the uncertainty of the quality of installers in the area and mixed reviews of install costs from some of the forum members.

After much hand wringing and good advice about local DC metro installers from some of the e90post Mid-Atlantic chapter forum guys, I took my ride to Ivan at IMA Motorsport in Chantilly, VA, a service and tuner shop for Porsches, BMWs, Mercedes, and Corvettes. Gearhead in Chief Ivan knows BMWCCA member, golf pro, and fellow gearhead Willie Lutz at South Riding Golf Course, and he was at our BMWCCA DC Chapter Spring Golf Outing, but it didn't occur to me to take the diff installation to him until I saw his ad in the South Riding Golf Course web site.

Check out IMA's web site: http://www.imamotorsport.net/index.html

IMA recently moved into its new digs in Chantilly (located equidistant from Pleasant Valley and South Riding Golf Courses) and was offering performance auto services while you played a round of golf. They have been custom-tuning vehicles, especially Porsches, for the track and the street, which is the main reason I brought my business to IMA.

New Chantilly location off of the Pleasant Valley Road intersection:

A view of the waiting room:

What first impressed me was the cleanliness of the spaces. Here is a shop that takes pride in its work by the orderliness and professionalism displayed in the work area. I was especially taken by the six lifts IMA sports:

Not to mention the race car projects underway:

Jimmy and Aaron put my ride on the lift and commenced to rip out the open diff casing (YES!!):

Closeup of Jimmy rummaging under the diff case (nice Hankooks):

View of the open diff case EMPTY!!! (Note the exhaust system still attached):

Open diff (left) next to Quaife diff (right) ready for swap out:

Quaife diff ready for install:

Quaife diff inside the diff case awaiting case cover and gear oil:

Done!

So, after all is said and done....is there a diff with the diff?

U BETCHA!!!

Why would anyone want to install an automatic torque biasing differential like a Quaife, Torsen, Wavetrac, or clutch type limited slip differential? There are a few other threads that thoroughly explain the advantages of an LSD over an open differential, so I won't regurgitate what has already been covered, but I will refer you to all of those links, if they're still available:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100072

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292510

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289996

First Impressions:

WOW!!! Wotta Difference!

I know, I know...everyone who has ever had a diff replacement has probably said the same thing.....so, I echo their sentiments!

My wife drives a Mercedes E350 4Matic Sport Sedan, which is the AWD equivalent of the BMW XiDrive and Audi, etc., etc., so I have had the pleasure of flailing my wife's E350 up and down the eastern seaboard with complete confidence in rain or shine....or snow. I wanted the same feeling in the e90, and now I have it!

After "gently" breaking in the e90 with the Quaife installed, I noticed that the car felt more "planted," more purposeful, and tighter in overall handling and performance. There seemed to be more get up and go, more (this is scientific seat-of-the-pants analysis, mind you) OOOMPH!! and tighter lines in the sweepers around RTE 28, the Dulles corridor, and all of those new ramps being built between RTE 66 and RTE 7 in Northern VA.

For the unaccustomed, be prepared to change your driving habits with a diff installation....and increase your tire pressure, baby, because you will have nothing but fun! Take it to an empty parking lot and feel the new dynamics of the BMW's enhanced handling and performance characteristics.

I do feel the difference in the rain at the toll booths heading onto the Greenway towards Leesburg, especially as I slow to a crawl through the gate in second gear and then PUNCH IT in the merge area, careful to avoid all of the ... ummmm ... "drivers" ... in the far left lane, as I wind it out to the "speed" limit cruising speed.....

I recently switched to Hankook Ventus V12 Evo non-runflats, which has also enhanced my driving experience because they are quieter, excellent in the rain, and very reasonably priced....so it is like night and day compared to the RFTs...

Why Quaife? Why Not?

I have been reading about the Quaife diff, its lifetime warranty, and the overall advantages of Old School "positraction" inherent with any limited slip differential.

First and foremost, there is the safety factor. I now have the ability to control my destiny (and my car) under nearly any road condition. I have enhanced my ability to negotiate wet traction issues by combining my Hankook non-RFTs with the Quaife diff. I now have the low-end torque transfer, thanks to the Quaife, to handle any emerging driving situation. I am now better equipped to handle most of the day-to-day driving that occurs in the lower end of the speed and RPM spectrum, handling daily commuting with aplomb....and yes, a little rancor...at some of the atrocious driving habits of some in the DC metro commuter community.

Yes, the Wavetrac has added features, but with either one (Quaife or Wavetrac), you can't go wrong. I don't plan to track my car in the near future, but I do want to maximize the power and strength that BMW has built into the TT6 with the minor addition of a much-needed mechanical limited slip differential. Yes, Wavetrac is initially less expensive, but the Quaife ATB differential has been around a long time and has a proven "track record" with a lifetime warranty against mechanical failures.

What about that Thump?

Oh, and that thump that everyone keeps talking about .... nada .... nichts .... zilch .... it is not inherent in the Quaife, Wavetrac, or any other brand diffs.... proof is in the pudding... a professional installation from knowledgeable gearheads is all the difference in whether or not you experience a thump, thunk, or bump....Thanks to Jimmy and Aaron at IMA....don't expect any backlash from them...hehe

Setup:

2007 Sparkling Graphite e90 335i sedan, 6MT/Sport/Cold Weather/Premium

Drivetrain: Quaife ATB Differential, courtesy of Harold at HPAutowerks

Diff install: 5 hours, courtesy of Ivan at IMA Motorsports.
(Note: IMA has a $50 off Refer a Friend promo.) Tell them Jose sent you (LOL)... Check Ivan out on what they could do on welded diffs and pumpkin swaps (getting close to Halloween, I reckon) at 703-327-9858.

Tires: Hankook Ventus v12, courtesy of Tire Rack
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...12_evo_page_10

Future:

I want to add a BMW aluminum rear guide rod kit to strengthen my ride for better traction and handling. See the following:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195441

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...31&postcount=1

HKS exhaust system (no burnt tips) to lighten the load and let it breathe easier

For more info on Wavetrac:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305069

Last edited by flip4335; 11-15-2009 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: photo links dropped
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

I take it your diff was not welded.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
flip4335
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
I take it your diff was not welded.
Correct.

However, take a look at the last link on Wavetrac that I added at the bottom of my review. It is about welded diffs and how shops have been able to work around them without you having to buy a complete pumpkin.

For more info on Wavetrac:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305069
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
iAerodynamic
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
is there one for non turbo?
or they are the same?

how much was the LSD?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Great write up man!

If I was going to keep the car longer then this would definitely be the next "mod" for me to succumb to ........

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 02:11 PM   #6
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

I have a clutch-type LSD and it's hard to explain to someone with an open diff how much better it is to have both tires grabbing for traction. Especially on the track and in street situations when you have to make a hard left or right turn when you're pulling out. No traction control light flashing, taking away power when you're pulling out.
This is a fantastic mod, one that is HIGHLY recommended.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
flip4335
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAerodynamic View Post
is there one for non turbo?
or they are the same?

how much was the LSD?
LSDs are available for most all models. Make sure the gearing matches your vehicle, though. VIN research will determine your vehicle's diff gear ratio. Depending upon the transmission, for example, the 335i Automatic Transmissions have a higher (3.46) gearing than the 6MT (3.08), so you need to match your engine's gearing.

Check out my links...I added web sites that have prices.

Wavetrac: $1199-1295 + rings, etc. + tax/shipping

Quaife: $1305-1400 + tax/shipping

The above are for the diff swaps. Complete pumpkins are different, up to $3K and above...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 03:00 PM   #8
flip4335
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadHollow View Post
Great write up man!

If I was going to keep the car longer then this would definitely be the next "mod" for me to succumb to ........
Thanks for the kind words...you're not getting rid of it soon, are you? Your ride is sick!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #9
flip4335
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW325xi View Post
I have a clutch-type LSD and it's hard to explain to someone with an open diff how much better it is to have both tires grabbing for traction. Especially on the track and in street situations when you have to make a hard left or right turn when you're pulling out. No traction control light flashing, taking away power when you're pulling out.
This is a fantastic mod, one that is HIGHLY recommended.
+1000000!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 04:16 AM   #10
DZheng
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

So stock e90 have STD or open diff and now you have limited slip diff? Can you do a burn out video
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #11
flip4335
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabs4days View Post
So stock e90 have STD or open diff and now you have limited slip diff? Can you do a burn out video
Yes sir, my 2007 e90 came with an open diff and it was bolted.

I now have a mechanical differential that is gear driven and provides limited slip capabilities, transferring power to the wheel that is not slipping to maintain forward mobility.

I CAN do a burn out video, but there are plenty of them on YouTube, so I will defer to the videos that are already produced!

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

Can us NA ATers get one too? Been wondering if it's possible to get one for my AT.
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #13
flip4335
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7 View Post
Can us NA ATers get one too? Been wondering if it's possible to get one for my AT.
EVERY BMW should have one as standard.

Absolutely, yes! It will really make a difference in how you handle your car. NA bimmers are high speed, low drag brothers to the TTs. The only difference is in the torque.

If you think your ride is quick now, wait until you install the Quaife to experience new aspects of your NA engine! More power to the pavement, and it will seem quicker than before.

Quaife makes one for MT and AT configurations.

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #14
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

I got Quaife installed 6 months ago. It is probably the best mod. I turn off TC off completely on track and the car feels so much better. There is a direct communication line between the driver and the machine. One can argue that traction is a nuisance if you have lsd, as long as you modulate the throttle, obviously, and you know how to handle the car. Simply beautiful, pure power delivery. You can't hear it, you can't feel it on straights but as soon as you try to power out of a corner your butt sensor will feel it. I don't know why I did not install it sooner but would never drive another rwd BMW with out it.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #15
DZheng
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

How much did it cost and what did you notice the before and after. Im deff interested in Lsd?
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip4335 View Post
Yes sir, my 2007 e90 came with an open diff and it was bolted.

I now have a mechanical differential that is gear driven and provides limited slip capabilities, transferring power to the wheel that is not slipping to maintain forward mobility.

I CAN do a burn out video, but there are plenty of them on YouTube, so I will defer to the videos that are already produced!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #16
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

I don't know how much the quaife costs (anyone?) but while you are at it why not get a shorter ratio too? That's what really woke up my 330i. I'm not sure I really need an lsd with the factory ratio... 200 ft lbs isn't hard to put down, even in autocross situations.
      07-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #17
micano
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

LSD in our 'Ultimate Driving Machine'

Thanks for the write-up. Very nice and concise and I am a believer. My 330i with the AA stage II and the wavetrac gives it a new personality. I now thoroughly enjoy a snow storm.
      10-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #18
brinkmann
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4

Nice write-up indeed. I'm surprised more people don't do this.
      10-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #19
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, 550i, X3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkmann View Post
Most people are plastidipping their replica wheels and door handles, suffice to say a $3k mod is out of their budget.
      10-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #20
brinkmann
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 Tii View Post
Most people are plastidipping their replica wheels and door handles, suffice to say a $3k mod is out of their budget.
Have you been spying on my douchebag friends?!?

Hahaha you really hit the nail on the head man -- very well said.
      11-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #21
Denizpa
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 328xi 6 speed

Garage List
2010 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
xi?

Would this be compatible with an xi?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #22
flip4335
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 Tii View Post
It was a little under $2K for me, because I didn't have to swap out the pumpkin! I am also in the process of plastidipping my chrome trim, since you mentioned it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkmann View Post
Thanks! Those in the know usually pull the trigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
I got Quaife installed 6 months ago. It is probably the best mod. I turn off TC off completely on track and the car feels so much better. There is a direct communication line between the driver and the machine. One can argue that traction is a nuisance if you have lsd, as long as you modulate the throttle, obviously, and you know how to handle the car. Simply beautiful, pure power delivery. You can't hear it, you can't feel it on straights but as soon as you try to power out of a corner your butt sensor will feel it. I don't know why I did not install it sooner but would never drive another rwd BMW with out it.

Appreciate 0