E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help me ID this part?

06-02-2017, 08:54 AM   #1
adonnan
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E91

Help me ID this part?

Hi,

I bought an e91 last weekend and this part was loose inside the car. No idea what it goes to. I assume it goes underneath the car, since it has some damage to one of the rocker panels / side skirt. Any ideas? I figured out the lighter plastic piece, but not the rubbery/plastic one.

Great car, despite only having two pedals. I probably won't do much to the car except keep it in good running order. M Coupe needs the $$ more.

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 09:18 AM   #2
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92, f25, e46, e83

Beautiful car, congrats.
Not sure what that part is, but almost looks like it's one of those mini "mudflaps" that are in front of the rear wheels?
e83 N52
e46ci M54B25 (e53 N62 - sold, R.I.P. e39 M54B30)
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2017, 11:57 AM   #3
adonnan
Private
Rep

my thought as well, but it's not missing either one
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 06:38 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonnan View Post
my thought as well, but it's not missing either one
It is definitely the aero lip that goes in front of the rear wheels. It is plastic-riveted to the underpanel with 3 rivets. If it is not missing from the underside, then the piece you found was left over from whomever replaced it and failed to throw it away.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2017, 07:02 AM   #5
Unknown_Car
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Few and diffrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
Beautiful car, congrats.
Not sure what that part is, but almost looks like it's one of those mini "mudflaps" that are in front of the rear wheels?
That's what I am thinking.
DocRace 6266 single turbo.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 07:21 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

And this is not a flame...

But why do homeowners leave the garage sheetrock unpainted once its been taped, mudded, and sanded?

Always have wondered that...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 09:08 AM   #7
adonnan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post

But why do homeowners leave the garage sheetrock unpainted once its been taped, mudded, and sanded?

Same here. We moved in like that. It'll get paint or posters one day. There is a ton of wooden slatwall ripe for organization.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 09:52 AM   #8
OP3NAIR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i e93, '03 325xiT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post

Its likely not sanded, or even mudded to the point where its ready to be finished. My garage is just drywalled and mudded with the minimal amount necessary to tape the seams. It would take so much effort to skim it then sand it to be ready for paint that its not worth bothering with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 08:16 PM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP3NAIR View Post
Its likely not sanded, or even mudded to the point where its ready to be finished. My garage is just drywalled and mudded with the minimal amount necessary to tape the seams. It would take so much effort to skim it then sand it to be ready for paint that its not worth bothering with it.
Understood, bu the OP's place looks sanded and ready to undercoat and paint.
Appreciate 0