E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Turning off car prior to car reaching proper operational temp- long run issues?

01-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
c416
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

Turning off car prior to car reaching proper operational temp- long run issues?

Hello,

I have a question about turning off the car before the car reaches proper temperature. As I live about 1km from the gotrain and walking is not an option (don't ask ). Sometimes I have time to circle the area and run laps before I turn off the car, but not often.

I heard this is one of the worst things we can do to engines as the moisture (or carbon build up?) within the engine created don't have a chance to burn off and thus creates rust or issues within the engine.

Is this a legitiment concern with new engines, this being a thing of the past?

Last edited by c416; 01-21-2013 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
vtec96
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E89

I am on the same boat.....
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

I'm going to tag along as well to this question.

I know that if your ripping it and you turn your car off right away you destroy your turbos because they don't have a chance to cool down they basically stop and fry themself.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
Modded328FTW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328

Not a bad idea to do a long drive about once a week to burn off excess moisture in the engine.

I used to commute 5 mins to a go train everyday, but I would do a nice drive 1 a week to stretch the cars legs and burn off any moisture.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #5
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacewong View Post
Hello,

I have a question about turning off the car before the car reaches proper temperature. As I live about 1km from the gotrain and walking is not an option (don't ask ). Sometimes I have time to circle the area and run laps before I turn off the car, but not often.

I heard this is one of the worst things we can do to engines as the moisture (or carbon build up?) within the engine created don't have a chance to burn off and thus creates rust or issues within the engine.

Is this a legitiment concern with new engines, this being a thing of the past?
If this is all the car ever does you may have a problem with exhaust (moisture build up) but Nothing serious in engine. You need to get it up to temp to dry it out every now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaginwagon13 View Post
I'm going to tag along as well to this question.

I know that if your ripping it and you turn your car off right away you destroy your turbos because they don't have a chance to cool down they basically stop and fry themself.
In theory thats a slight possibility butt you cant take everything you read literally. If that was the case there would be fried turbos everywhere. They get cooled...I've never heard of this happening to anyone.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #6
QBall28
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335I

I had a 2002 BMW 325i that i drove for a very short commute time in -20c to 0c. That resulted in a $2000 repair bill for a $70 dollar part.

To keep it short, as your engine warms it creates condensation = (cold block + combustion heat). When you reach optimal operating temperature, a valve opens PCV or CCV in a BMW and allows this moisture to be circulated into the combustion chamber, Viola no moisture in your oil.

But when you don't reach optimal temperature each time your creating moisture in the motor and engine oil. Since oil change intervals are so long you get a high moisture content. When that moisture surrounds a rubber membrane = CCV valve and freezes it tears and clogs that valve.

Go to e46 look up CCV valve, so look under your engine oil cap white film = moisture!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
BMWWW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
If this is all the car ever does you may have a problem with exhaust (moisture build up) but Nothing serious in engine. You need to get it up to temp to dry it out every now and then.

In theory thats a slight possibility butt you cant take everything you read literally. If that was the case there would be fried turbos everywhere. They get cooled...I've never heard of this happening to anyone.
The reason why there are turbo timers are because if you drive spirited, and then shut off the car right away, the oil in oil-cooled turbos will just boil and cook. Turbo timers keep the engine running, and keep the oil circulating to get a chance to cool down sufficiently. I'm not scientist, I don't have a thermostat hooked up to the oil temps, but it's always good practice (certainly with older turbo'ed cars), to lay off the go pedal a few minutes before reaching your destination/sit in your car while checking your phone.

When called an idiot sometimes is better to be quiet than to open mouth and remove all doubt.
Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok.
--Confucius

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
c416
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

shieetttt.. thanks for the info!
what is proper opt tempt? 110 degrees? takes me like 20mins to hit that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBall28 View Post
I had a 2002 BMW 325i that i drove for a very short commute time in -20c to 0c. That resulted in a $2000 repair bill for a $70 dollar part.

To keep it short, as your engine warms it creates condensation = (cold block + combustion heat). When you reach optimal operating temperature, a valve opens PCV or CCV in a BMW and allows this moisture to be circulated into the combustion chamber, Viola no moisture in your oil.

But when you don't reach optimal temperature each time your creating moisture in the motor and engine oil. Since oil change intervals are so long you get a high moisture content. When that moisture surrounds a rubber membrane = CCV valve and freezes it tears and clogs that valve.

Go to e46 look up CCV valve, so look under your engine oil cap white film = moisture!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
Pierce330
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328 xDrive

I think that this question came up somewhere else on this forum as well. I am in the same boat, I drive 2.2 km to get to work. However, I take a longer 15-20 km drive on the way home everyday. But, I do idle in the Tim Horton's drive through line in the morning, so my 325 does reach normal operating temperature. Regardless, short, cold trips are not well received from our cars
E90 328i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
Devas
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 F82 M4

I reach 50 degrees oil temp after 20 mins of driving conservatively, especially in this recent weather
      01-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #11
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWWW View Post
The reason why there are turbo timers are because if you drive spirited, and then shut off the car right away, the oil in oil-cooled turbos will just boil and cook. Turbo timers keep the engine running, and keep the oil circulating to get a chance to cool down sufficiently. I'm not scientist, I don't have a thermostat hooked up to the oil temps, but it's always good practice (certainly with older turbo'ed cars), to lay off the go pedal a few minutes before reaching your destination/sit in your car while checking your phone.
I know how they work. Have you ever heard of one seizing from overheating?
Appreciate 0