E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > iPhone cradle and aux hookup - cheap and effective

12-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
saml666
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d Msport & TVR Chimaera

iPhone cradle and aux hookup - cheap and effective

I just got my 330d Msport tourer, no USB though and wanted a neat solution to charge my iphone, play music etc.

After market Dension 500 was recommended, looks very good but is not perfect and a few folk cast doubt over bluetooth sound quality ... so I bought a cradle on here assuming it would use the aux 'channel' and play my music.

It doesn't

I'm new to the forum so apologies if I'm spouting out old news as though it's the best thing since sliced bread but having found this I though I oughta share it with you all.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1452980

I followed the instructions, mounted a 3.5mm socket in the back of my iphone cradle and now while the phone is securely 'docked' and charging I can also connect it to the aux socket in the armrest and play my music.

The only downside is that there is no on-screen control of the ipod but since I use the radio a lot anyway and like playlists/shuffle I don't really miss it. I had a parrot in my old E46 so have benefitted from iphone control in car and didn't find it that great.

So there is is, for a couple of quid and some soldering I've got a neat iphone dock/charge/aux combo all tucked away out of sight in the armrest.

Thanks to gats0man for taking the time to write this up ... I hope it's useful to someone else too.

Cheers,
Sam

Disclaimer: Yeah, I know it's another forum ... I'm assuming we embrace the other similar sites out there and posting a link isn't a cardinal sin

Last edited by saml666; 12-21-2011 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: spalling mistake
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
Beardogg
Rep
Drives: E91 325i Msport touring

I don't get the insulation on pin 7? Which bit do I put the tape on?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Now if you could fathom out how to hook up an Anroid HTC Desire I'd be a very happy bunny
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
Beardogg
Rep
Drives: E91 325i Msport touring

tried this earlier... gave up immediately after I couldn't even get a wire attached to pin 1
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 02:31 AM   #5
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
Now if you could fathom out how to hook up an Anroid HTC Desire I'd be a very happy bunny
Yeah... 3.5mm jack is the only option