E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > DPF queries

12-24-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
Ryan87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325D M Sport

DPF queries

Had the dreaded DPF light flash on at the beginning of the week and after a run down the motorway it decided to flash up again.

The car has been doing this intermittently since then and has now been booked into the dealers to be looked at on Friday (Been advised not to drive it till then if I can help it).

How quickly can a DPF become clogged though? My car only does small trips each day (around 6 miles each way) which im aware isnt good for it, however back in August it had a 1200 mile run across Europe over 2 days and Im surprised it would have clogged up again that quickly.

The car has 67k on it and after speaking to the dealer i've been advised not to worry too much as the DPF life span is around 100k. How accurate is this?

I've prepared myself for the worse and have the £1500 sat aside for the new one if need be (not that im telling the dealer that!)

Thank you in advance for any replies and Merry Christmas to you all
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
shane55
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M-Sport Auto

If you have a problem with your EGR thermostat and or your main thermostat its quite possible that the coolant temperature doesn't exceed 75DegC too often especially when its cold outside, this in turn will not allow regeneration of the DPF to begin...this could possibly be the cause...check your coolant operating temp. or better still have a look at the EGR 'stat and if you can blow through its buggered!

Merry Christmas
      12-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
Ryan87
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you for the reply.

It has only recently started happening now the temperature has dropped.

Nice to know it could be something else other than the DPF though as I didnt fancy a large bill just after xmas.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 05:24 AM   #4
Team Green2
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I M Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [0.00]
Hello buddy I have had the same problem. I took my car to my local indy this mourning and he managed to reset the fault code I then took it on a 30 mile blast and the warning message has not come back on yet touch wood. When the first message came on it would only come on after 10 mins of the car or ignition being on so I would recommend getting the fault codes reset and taking it on a bit of a blast down the m way if the fault code comes back on take to main dealer. Might be worth getting the codes reset at a cheap Indy might save you a few £
      12-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
Nickers
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Looking for a Bmw

Let me know how you get on with this Ryan bud
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
Ryan87
Private First Class
Rep

Well it would seem all has been sorted.

The car spent the morning in the local dealer and has come back with all updated software on it.

Took it for an 80 mile drive and no DPF light

On a side note, Im not sure if it's where i hadn't driven the car for a week but it seems smoother and more responsive. Not sure if it's me or as a result of the new software
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330D M Sport Auto

If its an Auto it probably will have an effect on the smoothness and reponse being better. Glad you got it sorted!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #8
Ryan87
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Singh View Post
If its an Auto it probably will have an effect on the smoothness and reponse being better. Glad you got it sorted!
It's a manual which is why I was surprised!

As said, could be that im not used to the smoothness of the car as iv only been in an L200 for the last week.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 05:34 AM   #9
Nickers
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Looking for a Bmw

Anything is smoother than an L200 lol
Appreciate 0