E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Car in for the Birds treatment under the bonnet

12-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Car in for the Birds treatment under the bonnet

Hi all,

Due to collect my LCI E91 335i 6MT from Birds tomorrow with their ecu controller and catted dps fitted.

Second visit as had Quaker and B3S chassis mods done last year.

Can't wait and will be sure to share my experience with Birds again and the impressions of their handy work under the bonnet.

Roll on tomorrow..........

Pave
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 03:59 AM   #2
Mike in Hampshire
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None at present!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave Dew View Post
Hi all,

Due to collect my LCI E91 335i 6MT from Birds tomorrow with their ecu controller and catted dps fitted.

Second visit as had Quaker and B3S chassis mods done last year.

Can't wait and will be sure to share my experience with Birds again and the impressions of their handy work under the bonnet.

Roll on tomorrow..........

Pave
Eh? They put porridge oats in the dampers? No wonder it's going back!
I suggest the Quaife - much better..........
Seriously, look forward to your feedback. I was, and still am, very pleased with the work Birds did on my car.
Mike.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 05:56 AM   #3
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Hampshire View Post
Eh? They put porridge oats in the dampers? No wonder it's going back!
I suggest the Quaife - much better..........
Seriously, look forward to your feedback. I was, and still am, very pleased with the work Birds did on my car.
Mike.
Mike,

Ha ha - The dangers of predictive text on a "not-so-smart" phone !!!!

That'll teach me for posting too late in the day..........

Its definitely a Quaife diff on the car and the dampers, along with rest of the B3s setup + M3 goodies they installed previously, are all good. A few track days and many trips to the in-laws in N Wales have proven the set up to be ticking all the boxes.......

I'm v happy with the work that Kevin and Pinder at the team at Birds have done on my car so far hence why I put my faith in their new ECU controller that's being installed c/w with catted DP's.

Picking it up later today.......

Pave
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Mike,

Ha ha - The dangers of predictive text on a "not-so-smart" phone !!!!

That'll teach me for posting too late in the day..........

Its definitely a Quaife diff on the car and the dampers, along with rest of the B3s setup + M3 goodies they installed previously, are all good. A few track days and many trips to the in-laws in N Wales have proven the set up to be ticking all the boxes.......

I'm v happy with the work that Kevin and Pinder at the team at Birds have done on my car so far hence why I put my faith in their new ECU controller that's being installed c/w with catted DP's.

Picking it up later today.......

Pave
You'll have loads of fun with the car, that I can promise you. But I also warn you - once you're in the mod game for more power, the first upgrade will soon not be enough...

You should also schedule a Nürburgring trip next year to allow the car to stretch its legs properly!

Alpina_B3_Lux
      12-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: Gone: E92 M3 Competition Pack

Quote:
ecu controller
ECU Controller ?????

Cannot find on their website, maybe another name ??
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Didn't know Birds were into remaps and ECUs.....what kind of gains?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi

the guys tell me its 400bhp and 432lbs/ft on the 2nd of the 2 boosted maps and having driven abt this afternoon switching from stock, both boosted maps its an absolute hoot !!!

Can't stop laughing, especially after giving a guy in a 59 plate 911 C4 the shock of his life on a stretch of 2 lane c/w 3 roundabouts..........

Pave
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
You'll have loads of fun with the car, that I can promise you. But I also warn you - once you're in the mod game for more power, the first upgrade will soon not be enough...

You should also schedule a Nürburgring trip next year to allow the car to stretch its legs properly!

Alpina_B3_Lux
Alpina_B3_Lux,

I have done a few trips and many laps of the 'Ring in various cars [TVR, Triumph Vitesse and a Golf VR6] and on motorbikes I've owned in the past.

Perhaps a revisit in '12 might be on the cards with my "family wagon/Dad's taxi"...

Cheers,

Pave
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN335i View Post
ECU Controller ?????

Cannot find on their website, maybe another name ??
Merlin335i,

Birds do a B3S 430BHP engine conversion which includes catted DP's, hybrid turbos, new OC and new DV;s all c/w a dedicated engine control unit.

Basically, I have had the ECU fitted with catted DP's so, in the event that I may chose to invest more to develop my car further, then I can add to it as and when.

Novelty still not worn off yet of having ability to switch on the fly from stock, boosted, boosted+ and then an "economy/valet" map [essentially minimal boost which mimics a NA motor].

Best bet is give Birds a call and talk to them as I get the impression they are continually evolving products and packages they do for our cars. I've put my faith and parted with hard earned cash on them fettling my cars suspension and engine and v happy with the results. Mentioned to them abt brake upgrades, thinking they would push AP based package they have but was advised to hang fire as they looking at alternatives as they have concerns abt AP quality etc since becoming part of the Brembo group.........

Pave
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 03:01 AM   #10
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black X5M

Whose Piggyback are they using?

Suspect it might be a version of Procede?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 04:02 AM   #11
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvesD View Post

Cheers

Don't think you can flash tune 'on the fly'.. My flash tuner was ignition on but engine off map switching.
      12-29-2011, 04:10 AM   #12
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

430bhp is easily/safely achieved by upping the boost without new turbo's. Just add meth for safety.

I'd only buy new turbos if I wanted 500bhp.
      12-29-2011, 05:22 AM   #13
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: Gone: E92 M3 Competition Pack

Quote:
Basically, I have had the ECU fitted with catted DP's so, in the event that I may chose to invest more to develop my car further, then I can add to it as and when.

Pave,

Thanks for that, now I understand, you only had part of a package. That is why I could not see it listed on their website.

I also have confidence in Kevin & Denis etc, having been a customer in the past.

Happy New Year,

Michael.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 07:16 AM   #14
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
430bhp is easily/safely achieved by upping the boost without new turbo's.
Yes. I'm running with 433hp / 677 Nm with my GIAC stage 2 remap now. 16.5psi only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
Just add meth for safety.
You don't need meth at these power levels. You can however extract even more power by using meth and a remap or piggyback that allows you to run more timing. My GIAC stage 2 race remap was dynoed earlier this year at 456hp / 700 Nm.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      12-31-2011, 03:22 AM   #15
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvesD View Post

Cheers
Yves,

I think you might be right abt the Birds ECU p/b being a version of Procede but its been set up by Birds with their own parameters dialled in. Was advised that both maps 1 & 2 are set with autotune mode enabled [just in case Tesco's run out of their 99 grade fuel !!!]

Having now done more miles in the car during festive break seeing friends and rellies I can feedback that, in either boosted maps, the best stock characteristics [lots of torque low down and linear throttle response] are both retained and it pulls like a train at any revs any gear but goes much harder from north of 5k in either map. Likewise, the lag between upward gearshifts is reduced so it compliments the M3 CDV and BMS clutch stop to boot.

I won't bore folks with MPG achieved in NA mode.

Novelty still not worn off yet.....Thank you Santa.......

Pave
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 05:34 AM   #16
Mike in Hampshire
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None at present!

Quote:
Novelty still not worn off yet.....Thank you Santa.......
Good stuff Pave, I'm very envious! Sounds like Birds have done a good job.
My car is going up to Evolve very soon to have their stage 2 remap and AR catted DP's fitted - can't wait to feel 400+ hp together with the Birds chassis mods. Except it'll probably snow as soon as I get the car back!

Question now is.......next mod? As Alpina B3 says, it is a slippery slope. I haven't really thought about meth, suppose I will just see how the car drives post Evolve and take it from there.

In the distance I hear a voice shouting "M3, you know you want to......."

Mike.
Appreciate 0