E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > The wife dinged my car!

10-03-2007, 11:07 PM   #67
blackandproud
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Well, here's the latest on the scratched bumper drama. I went to see Picus and he did me a solid, spent about 15 or 20 minutes buffing out the yellow paint so we could see what's what. If you get down and look close, you can see the scratches and that it's very slightly dented inward (very slight). Good guy, that Picus.

Anyway, I'm gonna drive around for a week or two and see if it really bothers me horrendously. If so, I'll investigate a body shop that can do nice seamless blends (anyone know any in the GTA?). Otherwise, I'll live with it and just hold it over my wife forever (kidding). Thanks for all the tips. And if any of you have had good luck with a decent body shop, feel free to shoot the name my way.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 11:22 PM   #68
zzinco79
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

My sister just put deeeeeeep and loooooooooong , about 2ft, scratch on my driver side skirt. I'm not pissed. I will just make her to pay for the new body kit. Nice and easy~

2006 BSM 325i / ZPP / ZSP / Adaptive Xenon / BLK leather interior / Steptronic

Eisenmann racing / K&N Ram charger / M5 rep. wheels / D1S 6000k / Brex white ring / OEM style rear trunk spoiler / M steering / OEM strut bar / Blk line tail light

Future Mod

Hamann lip spolier / Mtech rear bumper
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2007, 01:50 AM   #69
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Wow guys, we all love our cars, but at the end of the day its just a damn car...lol.

Some idiot put two really nasty dings in my passenger side door at a hotel I was staying at. I am sure it was an SUV. Sure I was mad, but I got over it fast. I didn't even see who it was that did it. Its inevitable unless you park your car and never drive it. (Then why did you buy it?). That was my E46 330ci a few weeks ago.

About a week ago, I go to the store in my new shiny 335i coupe. Come back out and there on the driver door a small nick from someone else's door no doubt. Now I was semi pissed because its waste of energy anyway, can't undo it. So I chilled, got in the car and drove home. I make a right turn into my street, and wham, car bottoms out in a road drain I have not even noticed before. (My 330 is much higher so no touching anything.). But not only did I bottom out, but my OEM Lip which effectively lowers the car by about 2 inches at the nose plowed into the road and there is now a nasty gash on it. Crap!!! Oh well, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Bottom line, no-one does it intentionary. You ding the car, your significant other scratches it, whats the difference. Are you going to go postal on yourself? Why do it to someone you love after all its accidental. Don't obsess too much!
      10-06-2007, 08:32 AM   #70
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Well, here's the latest on the scratched bumper drama. I went to see Picus and he did me a solid, spent about 15 or 20 minutes buffing out the yellow paint so we could see what's what. If you get down and look close, you can see the scratches and that it's very slightly dented inward (very slight). Good guy, that Picus.

Anyway, I'm gonna drive around for a week or two and see if it really bothers me horrendously. If so, I'll investigate a body shop that can do nice seamless blends (anyone know any in the GTA?). Otherwise, I'll live with it and just hold it over my wife forever (kidding). Thanks for all the tips. And if any of you have had good luck with a decent body shop, feel free to shoot the name my way.
Hey, turned out great, it doesn't look bad at all!

I'd say get yourself into the frame-of-mind that so what if your car isn't perfect? It would bother me a bit but I think what I would do is be sensible...that area would be prone to another scratch, mishap, etc. If/when that happens, get it fixed at that time and try to get 2 things covered at once. That's how I would do it.

My car is still perfect after 10 mos.....almost! There is a chip on the air dam, but for now, that's it....

p.s. I think there's nothing wrong with getting mad at the significant other, but don't stay mad. She's sorry and probably was worried about how you were gonna react. My fiance, despite what I told her (use your cell phone for long distance because I'm not sure what's up with my carrier), she did it anyway. Made a one-minute long distance call that got billed 2.7 cents. It was the only call on the statement and the total due was over $11. Inactivity fee, paper fee, and taxes, no joke, $11 for a 1 min. call. I got mad because I told her not to use it, use her or my cell. Is that a stupid situation, of course, who in their right mind would pay $11 for 1 min. Me, because they have the SS# and would report to credit if unpaid. But in the big picture, it's only $11.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 11:15 AM   #71
BMXtreme
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E60 535i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I would flip out as well...but hope you got it fixed soon....that slight mark would make you piss everytime u looked at it..haha
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 11:45 AM   #72
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
I think Kevin (Picus) is too humble. Excellent dress up and I knew if you went to him he would feel compelled to do something. He's a great guy and wonderful detailer. (Now keep your Maple Leafs away from my Lightning will ya?)
      10-07-2007, 01:17 AM   #73
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich_Menace View Post
just use acetone to remove the paint (put a small amount on a towel)...that'll remove those ugly paint, no point yelling at your wife

acetone was what we use when i was working at the Merc vehicle prep factory
do that ^ and make sure to get black polish paste and polish it ... after that you ca use some fine grade polish and you should be fine ... you can also wax it if you want ...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 02:23 PM   #74
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

what is up with these women.....why the hell wouldn't you make sure your clear from the pole or whatever...esp with an expensive car you know means the world to there husband...wtf
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 09:23 PM   #75
csupernova
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianbimmer View Post
I hope you tore your wife a new asshole
Good luck to yor wife if you're married!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 01:26 PM   #76
AlB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT gry/blk

Lets see, I have watched my wife run into the garage three times with the X5, traded that in cause she needed a minivan and she has run that into the garage twice and hit a PARKED car and mysteriously more dents appear every month.

Oh and in the ten years I owned my e36 M3, not even a door ding.

Every time I think of teaching her to drive a stick I will read this post and then say, Naw, I like my car too much
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 01:19 AM   #77
Gulfstream V Pilot
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Talking ROFL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianbimmer View Post
I hope you tore your wife a new asshole
I would have!!

"I don't drive fast, I just fly low!"
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 01:06 PM   #78
bexleyuk
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i convertible

My wife emptied the boot, and thought it was a good idea to hook an umbrella on the body work of a 3 week old car - genius. That would have been bad enough but she then forgot it was there and slammed the boot lid down (which you don't need to do, it has a motor to assist) - nice indent now in the lid, thankfully my company insurance covers stupidity.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 01:10 PM   #79
Dubbedoutbimmer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335XI Coupe Loaded w/body kit

This is why I trade GF's like short terms leases lol shit happens but maybe mention you do like the car the way it came lol
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 02:50 PM   #80
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

to op, hey don't let that bother you. But use it to your advantage and pretend you are still upset about her mistake and use it as a barganing tools when you have disagreements with your wife

It looks good to me after Picus put on some magic touch...